1. #1
    SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Question 75' Quints, '65 Squirts, and Hosebeds

    For those of you who have <strong>telesquirts</strong> (firestix, skybooms, etc and/or the ubiquitous <strong>75' quint</strong>, let me know how you feel about using the ladder, ease of setup, ease of fly egress, etc. Also, tell me about your piece-size, tank, pump, axles, supply line, etc.

    It seems to me that the squirts leave a lot of room between you and the roof when you put the stick over a parapet, but you get a bigger, more useful, hosebed.

    Also, anyone compare prices amongst the aforementioned options?

    Basically curious....talking with some 'buds' last night about the optimal station in a given location....i'm sure many of you have done the same.

    Thanks,
    Sean

  2. #2
    JimDWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Post

    My department operates a 1992 E-1 hurricane 75ft quint. It has a 1500gpm pump, 500 btc, carries 500ft of 5", 750ft of 2 1/2", 600ft of 1 3/4" hose. It also has a pre-piped waterway to the fly tip(I would prefer the optional pinned waterway) This adds about 1 1/2 ft higher from the roof to spot than if there was no waterway. It's very easy to set up, because it has only two out riggers( 13'8") and it's a little longer than a standard pumper. We carry 115' of ground ladders and have high-side compartments on both sides allowing us to carry alot of tools and equipment. As far as I know it cost about $415,000 back in 1992.

    Our quint has worked well for my department.We run it first out at HQ station. It has it's own still district for car and rubbish fires. It normally works as a truck at fires but has put out a few fires working as an engine company.

    Stay Safe.

  3. #3
    Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Cool

    We are in a different situation than most, in that we operate two aerial pieces (out of our three apparatus):

    Truck 57 is a 1980 55' LTI/Pierce Arrow quint; 1000 gpm pump; 500 gal tank; 600' 4", 600' 3", and 150" precon 2.5" off the rear; 2 150/200' (quick add-on) precon 1.75" and 1 100' 1.75" precon amidships; carries a full complement of SCBA, tools, and basic lighting/generator, ventilation, chimney, and other equipment. No tandem rear & the transmission is a 5-speed standard.

    Ladder 57 is a 1974 100' Grove/Imperial straight ladder with no real pump capacity (there's a purely defensive PTO pump & 250 gals on board, but we never use it); full range of ground ladders, cascade, full complement of SCBA, hand tools, ventilation (fans & saws), lighting/generator, salvage, forcible entry, ropes, and misc. other equipment. Tandem rear & the transmission is 6-speed automatic (not by choice).

    Generally, the Truck functions as a primary attack piece and the Ladder functions as what it is. What this combination gets us is flexibility:

    The Truck can be put into aerial operations in less than half the time it takes to deploy the Ladder, can get into places we could never go with the Ladder, and can go into master stream ops from hand line ops without disruption. However, the range on the Truck is limited, the ladder itself is narrow but very stable, and on larger structures, structures with potentially dangerous facades, long setbacks, etc. it would need to be too close to be used safely or effectively. The Ladder has the range to handle most anything we get into, has the space for a lot of equipment we couldn't otherwise carry, and affords more room to work on the ladder itself, although it is slightly less stable than the one on the Truck. Both will handle 500 lb. tip load while flowing water. Also, because it's basically just an oversized pumper, the Truck is faster and more maneuverable than the Ladder. Newer ladder trucks of comparable configuration might be better in this regard than ours, however.

    Since we cover mostly residential area, we end up using the Truck about 85% of the time that we have an aerial deployed. For the other 15%, however, the Truck simply wouldn't be able to do the job, and we need the Ladder on the scene. In case you're curious, response order on structures in our home territory is Truck-Ladder-Engine; on mutual aid, it depends on what the home company wants (some want Truck-Ladder-Engine, some want Ladder-Truck-Engine, and some want Ladder-Engine with the Truck on standby).

    Hope this gives you some info you can use.



    [This message has been edited by Bob Snyder (edited August 26, 1999).]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register