Thread: Hoses

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Hoses

Hey what make & model hose do you use? Also, what are typical nozzles & pressures?

We don't run an engine, but I believe the county buys snap-tite jacketed rubbler lined hose. Typical attack line is a 200' 1 3/4 with a 100 psi automatic. You pump what flow you want, e.g. 150 psi = 150 gpm, 185psi = 185 gpm. It's not exact, but it's easy to remember. or you pump 30 psi per 100'.

As far as I know (see disclaimer above) nobody has a big problem kinking, not even the company down the road that uses smoothbores pumped at about 35psi nozzle pressure.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

What do you mean by 30 psi per 100 ft?

Capt. Crunch
    Firehouse.com Guest

DD
    I'll take a stab !!!!!
    I think he means,pump what ever nozzle pressure you want plus figure in 30 lb.friction loss per 100 ft of 1 3/4 line.

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not sure of the consistency of what City buys, but last hose was Nat'l DJ. 1 3/4" is our typical attack line too... most engines have one 150' and one 200'. We were going with Task Force Tips (I like 'em), but seems like there aren't enough to go around yet and a few still have Elkharts. Even 2 1/2" attack lines have fog nozzles on 'em default, except for high rise loads.
    Unofficial SOP is to set 1 3/4" at 120-130psi for 100+gpm; we have run them up to 170 psi to get ~250+gpm when we have the manpower and/or need. The 2 1/2" w/fog are run at 120psi as default....

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a mix of Ponn Supreme rubber lined DJ and Ponn Conquest urethane lined DJ. It is all 1 3/4" and all of our preconnects are 200'. The Conquest is 13 lbs per 50' compared to the Supreme at 27 lbs per 50'. Its nice stuff to use. Just purchased 2 TFT Handline Series 100psi auto nozzles, currently all preconnects use Akron selectable 30-60-95-125 nozzles.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Here are some suggestions/recommendations. I have learned most of this from hands on/seeing and doing wether it be volunteering or paid. When it comes to new hose most all maunfactors are good ones. The newer style urethane lined hose is much better than the rubber lined hose but it also costs alot more per foot. The hose with outer rubber jacket is nice for supply/LDH line and is nice for trash line and bruch/field fire use. When you lay it out on the street it stays. When it gets dirty you hose it off and re-load it. I don't like using it for attack lines due to the fact that it doesn't load, bend, or drag as well and it can be harder to deploy from the hosebed, crosslays, standpipe pack, or when streching anywhere it might bite on. When it comes to lines, nozzles, and flows everyone does it different. Think about this a bit: 1 3/4" initial attck lines with sent flow/gpm nozzles. Everyone brags about the TFT's and other auto nozzles. I tend to disagree due to re-action force at the nozzle due to the pressure required for the higher flows. I like the Elkhart 175gpm set flow at 100psi. This gives you alot of firefighting capability on a line one person can handle when operating. If you need more than 175gpm your gonna need more than a single line or a big line. A 2 1/2" with a stack tip set is one way to follow up that 1 3/4" set up. A 2 1/2" stack tip gives you the flows of roughly 200/250/300 gpms. The other way is with the new low pressure/set gallonage Elkhart nozzles are available at 50psi and 75psi in flow up to 250 GPM. These can be used on 2" or 2 1/2" lines. Lastly I like a line of 200' to 300' of 3" hose loaded in the rear bed preconnected and finished off with a gated wye or a *water thief*. This works well for many different operations. My ideal of the perfect engine set up is Four 1 3/4" crosslay with two being 150' and two being 200'. One of each length comming off of each side of the apparatus. One 100' 1 3/4" front trash/jump line. One 250' 2" or 2 1/2" rear attack line and one 3" Yammaha line off the rear. I also like the Clemmins Industries High Rise Packs with 150' 1 3/4" hose with a low pressure or straight/stack tip nozzle. Lastly I feel everyone should carry both 3" and LDH hose for supply line. Quanities can varry depending on your local requirements and operations needs. If you wanna check out some hose companies check out these: National, Firequip, Snap Tite/Ponn, Angus, and Harrington.

Thread Information