Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    RRepasky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Diamond Plate Hose Bed cover

Can anyone give me any pros or cons on Diamond Plate Hose Bed covers? Problems with LDH deploying? Loading hose and moving apparatus with covers open? Please list anything good or bad.
    Thanks

------------------
    Robert Repasky, Captain
    Sayre Fire Dept.
    Sayre Pennsylvania

Drew Smith
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have them on three pumpers and think they are great. Make sure the underside is free of screws or bolt or sharp edges that could cut your hose. Make sure the underside is smooth so hose does not get caught. Finnally, make sure they are supported so they do not collapse. Ours were installed by Pierce and E-One. All have a fixed center support. One two rigs this is the center hosebed divider. On the third it is a piece of channel supported on the tailboard end by another support.

RRepasky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for your reply. Do the couplings ever get caught up under there? How much hose are you carrying? Are you using a flat load? We are getting a Pierce Saber and it's in the specs, but we're still wondering if it's worth the cost and if there are any problems.

------------------
    Robert Repasky, Captain
    Sayre Fire Dept.
    Sayre Pennsylvania

Inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I really don't see the purpose of these covers. We use the tarp type (1/2 length) to keep the hose from accidentally laying when we are responding. Is it for this same purpose? Could you explain the advantages to covering the hose? We have one truck with the two crosslays covered and all that it does is make it a pain in the butt to load.

------------------
    When In Doubt, Blitz It Out!

[This message has been edited by Inferno (edited December 12, 1999).]

RRepasky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Why a hose bed cover? Good question. The reason we use them is mainly to keep the elements out of the hose bed. Direct sun dry-rotting the hose, rain and snow sitting in there... etc. We currently have a vinyl cover now and the problem we've had is the ripping, dangerous to walk on, and the snaps or hooks are a real pain.

------------------
    Robert Repasky, Captain
    Sayre Fire Dept.
    Sayre Pennsylvania

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like Drew, we have 2 or 3 engines that have the diamond plate covers... the rest of engines still have vinyl tarps. We haven't had any problem with hose snagging, I believe engines were spec'ed out with these covers. Two of the engines have 1100' of 5" with up to 800' of 3", flat load.
    The one time we had a problem with 'em, "a Capt" decided to pull engine out of bay with cover raised... brought some of the front of station with him. As punishment, E6 had to give up their hard cover and get a tarp and the Capt was "promoted" to Central Station... go figure. Since the hard covers were laying around, my shift decided to put em on E1 which originally had a tarp. There was a little engineering involved to get the covers on and make em fit right (center support like Drew sed...but engine wasn't designed for it to begin with) and then could only load 8-900' of 5" for awhile until it settled and we could get another 100' or so on.
    Other than being inside station, we haven't had any problem moving engine while covers are open... one person usually keeps a hand (and eye) on cover while we "back over" the 5" to reload it. I think it is more convenient then vinyl tarp and probably will last longer. The hard covers we have actually have a slight "peak" to them so there is really more room underneath than when hosebed is tarped.

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use diamond plate hose bed covers out west to protect the hose from flying embers and debris during wildland/interface fires. They work well

Drive P17B
    Firehouse.com Guest

All our pumpers now have the diamond plated hose covers. Had this rig for 2 years and it is working well. Only possible minor issue is the weight. Otherwise we would have needed a new tarp for ours now. 2 yrs was about average. I can walk across the top of the rig much easier now with out the fear of ripping the tarp. Also does is not affected by embers. Just a few of the good points I can think of.

Mark

RRepasky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks everyone for your responses. For those of you that have them, any chance you have a digital picture you can email to me. In particular, the back end so I can see the load underneath and maybe one with the cover open? I would really appreciate it.
    You can email them to rgr@cyber-quest.com
    Thanks

------------------
    Robert Repasky, Captain
    Sayre Fire Dept.
    Sayre Pennsylvania

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

We had a diamond plate cover for 9 years on an E-One. Removed it a few months ago when we changed from 4 inch to 5 inch hose. The covers worked well, never snagged and were a nice platform to walk on. But, they were very heavy to lift and we couldn't fill the hose bed (flat lay 5 inch - couplings to the front) completely. We had to wait a couple of weeks for the first 700 feet to settle before we could put on the other 500 feet. This particular engine was built with a height restriction to fit our old station. If it had standard height hose bed maybe we'd still have the covers on. Basically, for us they were beautiful but impractical.

Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The only problem I can forsee that hasn't been mentioned is the slip/fall factor. The NFPA regulation that just came out requires a certian gripping factor. People won't often walk on the covers but when someone does and falls, well you know. This would be my only reason not to get them cause falling 10' from an engine sure would hurt.

------------------
    Dan Jenkins
    West Elmira Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by Fyrtrks (edited December 15, 1999).]

cacfpd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Why would anyone be walking on the tarp? Common sense says that you may tear the tarp by walking on it, and I bet that like all of the rest of us you are loading the hose under it.
    When we reload hose on a apparatus, we roll the tarp to the front of the hosebed out of the way. It justs simply snaps back in place when we are done.
    Building something solid enough to stand on will only have someone standing on it when they probably should not be.
    Around here no one uses the diamond tread covers, as they are thought of as an expensive shiny thing that serves little purpose.

Dave

Thread Information