tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post 1500 gallon pumper tanker

I'm looking information on departments that have recently purchased engines with 1500 gallon water tanks. I'm mostly interrested in custom chassis's. If you could include what type of major equipment carried on the truck(i.e porta-tank, amount of hose, ladders, etc.) and manufacturer. I'm trying to determine if other departments have similar setups on a single rear axle. My department has two pumper-tankers of this type and would like to replace them with similar vechicles.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My volly dept bought a central states 2 years ago. It has a 1500 gal tank and a 1500 waterous pump( i think ). The truck has a hydralic ladder rack with 3 ladders on it, 12, 24, and a attic, the pora tank is on the passenger side in a folding compartment like box, ( to keep it out of the weather ), the tank is 2000 gals. It a 5 man cab with all of the bells and wistles, and it is a top mount pump. The only thing that the truck did not carry was extracation gear, but it carred all of the fire fighting stuff. The best thing that was ordered on the truck was the snow chains, I never got to use them but the people who did said that it worked great. The only thing that I did not like was the the pump, it was only a single stage, and there were a couple of times where a dual stage was needed. Hope this is of some help, if you need more info send me a email or a privat message.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your department operates in a rural area with no hydrants on minimal hydrants this is the way to go. You now have a decent amount of water for fire attack. Most manufactors will build a custom pumper with a 1500 gallon water tank. Since the NFPA specs were changed not to long ago you no longer are required to have a dump on an engine with a 1500 gallon tank. If you can configure the apparatus the way you want and still get a dump I recommend getting one. This makes the apparatus more functional. If your tanker is O.O.S. you now have a bcak up. If you do chose to put a dump on the back also consider a 6" rear suction. This trend has caught on in our area and allows you to draft out of a portable tank positioned ot the rear of your apparatus. It also allows you to dump into your tank when the water level gets low and allows you to maintain your draft/flow giving you additional time for the next tanker to arrive. Then once your portable tank you are drafting is full and another tanker is waiting to dump you can re-fill your tank while pumping. It's almost like adding a second or third portable tank to the water supply operation and keeps water flowing without loosing a prime when water runs low. If you have any questions about apparatus feel free to contact me. Be safe FireGuyNeil.

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just signed a contract with Pierce for a Dash 2000 1500 gallon/1250 gpm single stage pumper tanker. It will have both a Class A and B foam system, all of the standard pumper equipment including front intakes, crosslays, trash line, LDH discharges/intakes, a newton quick dump, a portable tank (with lower storage through the water tank, accessed from the rear of the truck). It is single axle, 430hp Detroit Diesel with a 7.5KW Onan generator. The truck has two AC units, automatic tire chains, and roll-up compartment doors on a "rescue" style body.

rbf
    Firehouse.com Guest

I wanted to add on to what FireGuyNeil stated. The rear suction works great for a drop tank operation. You can pull into a driveway, if your tankers have side dump capabilities, you can set the drop tank off the roadway and very little backing is involved around the drop tank. Also, if you use the Hale 6" E-MIV valves, you can open and close the suction with the flip of a switch. The E-MIV can be set up so that a draft can be pulled from the drop tank to the MIV valve without disturbing the pumping operation from your booster tank or a relay. You can switch from booster tank to drop tank and back and the nozzleman will never know the difference. It takes just a little practice, but it works great and is well worth the price of the E-MIV's.
    I also like the Reyco rear suspension on the trucks. It is available up to 30,000 (or maybe more) pounds rear GVW for a single rear axle. Good luck on your truck!

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

You may want to speak to Marion (the manufacturer!). They built a 1995 or 96 Engine-Tank for Hampton, CT -- 1500gwt, 1500gpm single stage REAR mounted pump. 6 man short Spartan cab, all standard fire attack equipment, hose loads, etc; and is legal on a 40,000# gvw.

In Connecticut, while you can get a permit for overweight trucks, even with a permit you are restricted from which bridges you are allowed on.

By going with the rear mount pump, the water tank shifts forward and allows more weight to fall on the front axle.

Our E-T was also a Marion, built just before Hampton's, and we seriously considered going rear mount, but settled on a midship -- with almost the same truck specs, it forced us to reduce the tank to 1200 gallons to make weight/axle requirements.

fireferret
    Firehouse.com Guest

1500 Gal. is iffy on single axle applications, especially if you go with a custom chassis. With a max rear axle rating of 30,000-31,000 depending on manufacturer and chassis type, you can run very close to the GVWR of the truck. We have a single axle high-side low side pumper with some rescue equipment and 1000 gal on an HME chassis. Our front axle is maxed out (legal on the big 425's, but not by much) and our rear sits at about 29,500#. Going to 1500 Gal. would add about 4500# to that rear, putting it well over the 31,000# rating. While this engine does carry some rescue equipment, condsider how much heavier it could be it weren't high side, low side and had room for more equipment. Commercial chassis tend to be better off, because the chassis start about 5000# lighter (for your smaller chassis), but max axle ratings tend to be lower, too.

A rear pump isn't a bad idea. More importantly, though, than moving some of the weight forword, their also isn't a big heavy enclosure -- the pump is basically in the body. They are harder to find as only a few US manufacturers make them (Marion, Saulsbury, ...?)

The important thing to look at is how much stuff (equipment, fireman, etc.) you want to carry in addition to the 1500 Gal of water.

One other thing, you may be able to get a truck that will be legal, but in order to do it you may have to go with a small block diesel (DD S40, Cumm ISC) which unless you have a flat district may be dog slow on a truck that could be upwards of 45-50,000#.

Thread Information