Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    37 Fire/Rescue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Pierce Saber Cab & Chassis

Our Municipality has offered to purchase a new engine for our department (a first!!) One of the Township Supervisors is a past chief and did most of the specifications. Right now, he is leaning toward the Saber. Any comments, good or bad regarding the Saber would be welcome.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We purchased a 1997 Pierce Saber 3 years ago and we are very happy with it. Since putting it in service, it has done over 1600 runs for each of 1997,1998, and 1999. This year, it will eclipse 2500 due to EMS runs.

It has worked at many a fire with no problems. It is a workhorse. At the sametime we purchased ours, Jersey City, our neighbor to the north, purchased theirs. Their Saber averages about 2,500 runs a year and they haven't had any major problems.

In my opinion, it is an excellant rig and you will not be disappointed. Good Luck.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

JimDWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

The Saber Cab is great. The dept. i work for part-time bought two saber pumpers in 1995 and they have held up great. Our's have the vista roof,Ems compartment, and it has alot of room for the guys in the jumpseats. Several depts. around us have bought some too. And they like theirs. The only problem is the seat's for the officer and driver are only so wide. If they are Big guys they may feel cramped.

Stay Safe

wsfiremn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

we bought 2 1999 sabers last year they have made about 500 runs each since the delivery in october we use one for a rescue pumper and the other is for all other runs this includes the 3 or 4 medical runs aday. we also have a 1997 e-one international that no one likes they call it the "school bus". ths saber is the best engine we have bought in a long time.
    the surrounding departments have sabers to alond with a large range of other makes and models.the saber is a great truck for the price ours ran in the mid 200,000 range not bad for the eguipment we got on them.

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a 95 saber on a HD rescue. No problems what so ever. The Saber is a solid chassis.
    things to know about the saber is the front axle parts are International and the 40 series motor is from International. So parts are no problem from Pierce of International.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Just thought I would throw a photo of our Pierce in due to the fact that photos are now allowed.

------------------
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

[This message has been edited by FitzBFDT2 (edited February 13, 2000).]

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Just thought I would throw a photo of our Pierce in due to the fact that photos are now allowed.

------------------
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

Roneuber
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department runs two Pierce Sabers both are great units one is a squirt. All our units are Pierce and no problems at all. We are two station dept and run about 2100 calls for each engine (8300 total for dept)
    If you are looking for a great deal on a new unit look at the Contender Series by Pierce the now offer a Stripped down Saber in that line and it starts at $140,00 and it is built in their new Florida Plant.

BriTHFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our town purchased 4 Sabers back in 1997. The only draw back to this Cab/Chassis is the lack of Cab space. With the Airpack in the officers seat, the driver many times has difficulty seeing the rearview.

The truck is a reliable piece, we just wish we had gone 1 model up for a little more space.

lbfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hi,
    We have a 1995 saber (1000 gwt/1500 gpm) and it is the best engine around. The saber is great. Not only is it roomy, but the cab has excellent climate control. Also there is a lot of room to put gear on while in route to the call. You should look to get a raised roof. The saber is also really tough and can survive crashes and stuff like that. Also it looks cool, and I think that looks are what makes an engine look cool to the public. Hope it all works out for you.

------------------
    Safety first, then the hero stuff, or is it the other way?

RESQ LOU
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department has six Pierce units with the oldest being an 81 and the newest being a 2000 Dash. We have Sabers,Lancers and older style Dash. These units are as dependable as anyone would hope for. Just a mention to look at the new Dash 2000, it is better than ever. Bravo Pierce bravo!!!

37 Fire/Rescue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks for all your replies. We decided to go with the Quantum, primarily due to larger engine,(500 h.p. vs. 350) and heavier frame rails. A couple of departments in our area have the Quantum and have had no problems. Also love the drop down steps. Much easier to get in and out of the apparatus, especially with turnouts on.

firecadet613
    Firehouse.com Guest

Could you please tell me the specs of this new Quantum your dept is getting? Thank you. Hope you like it, my neighboring dept has a Quantum.

Joe E. Thomson
    tttennis@corecomm.net
    ICQ#30864971
    AIM: Firecadet613

------------------
    Real hero's wear SCBA's, not capes. Let's try for a record year of below average LODD's. You never know, it could always be you or me.

Doo600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We have a 94 Saber. Watch out for the paint problems! We have paint bubbling all over. We also have a 360 hp detroi diesel...really underpowered. No room in the front officers seat either. We just purchased a Dash2000 and let me tell you it is a much better interior setup. A little more $ but definitely worth it.

Thread Information