Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: quints

DDP321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question quints

My department is looking at buying a 75ft. quint.
    We have looked at trucks from Quality fire apparatus, e-one, smeal and we are awaiting a demo from central states.

Out of the three that we have looked at so far, the smeal had a HME chassis, the quality had a Spartan chassis and the e-one had an american eagle(?) chassis.

what are some thoughts on the chassis? the only custom chassis we have is a 1984 simon-duplex, so we are not really familiar with custom cabs and chassis.

thanks for any input

Dewayne

JimDWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Go with a chassis that doesn't have the engine housing dividing the jumpseats all the way. The e-1 cyclone II tilt cab is nice, it allows for an EMS compartment and it has alot of room the guys. Pierce also has a Lance, Saber, or Dash chassis that have alot of room too.

Check out your area departments and see what they have also.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

Stay away from spartan and seriously look at pierce or a lafrance chassised rig.

resqb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Also stay away from the cookie cutter trucks. The standard spec doesn't work for everyone. I have to agree with the choices of the previous posts, especially the low end Spartan.

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've been driving a Spartan for almost two years now and I really dont understand why the guys above have a problem with them. The Spartan is one of the most solid chassis/bodied engines I have driven. Great handling, great turning radius, they come in ultra short wheelbases if you need/plenty of cabin space/dog-box does not interfere with cab space/FANTASTIC VISABILITY/need I say more. As far as the Smeal/HME issue I have ridden many calls on a 75ft unit built by them and overall it was a solid piece except for a few rattles here or there however the dog-box takes up an aweful amount of space and packing up was always a chore with a full crew. As for how it drives, I cannot comment because I never sat behind the wheel.

stephen
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department has a Pierce 100' quint using the Quantum chassis. It has a funny front end but as far as interior room it has no equal. There is a flat area between the driver and officer which is great for putting pre-plan books, gas detector, thermal cameras, and other items. The rear (4) firefighters have a great view out the large front window to see what they are coming up on. Look into this type of chassis it really does start to grow on you

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

A couple of comments on the Pierce cabs...Jim, I dunno if you've ever been in the back of a Dash cab, but you can't see squat out of it! We have a 75' Pierce quint with a Dash. The room is tolerable in the back, but the visibility's lousy. The situation in the front seats is reversed-most normal humans would not be able to get dressed in the officer's seat, but you have a great view. We're housed with a rescue company that has a Quantum cab, and it does indeed have lots o' room and good visibility.
    [One last note, if you decide on a Pierce/Dash: there's a center compartment in the rear, with about 16" clearance to the front - you have an option of getting doors on either side, or a big one in the front.We use that compartment for our EMS stuff. The person(s) who spec'd the trucks evidently thought that rolling forward door was so nifty, they didn't think about what effect trying to twist around to get a 30-lb defibrillator out of the stupid door might have on our backs...]

lbfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

One word, Pierce. The best around. No questions asked.

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

As far as chassis go, there are quite a few to choose from. I have personal experience with Spartan, ALF, Pirsch, Pierce and E-One custom cabs and chassis. As far as the best after 15 yrs it has to be the ALF. Keep in mind that it is the Century model made back in 1979. It has done us very well. ALF new products have not been in the field long enough to know yet. Our Pirsch has a great cab. Aluminum and a very spacious design for 1984. Spartan, we have two (2) currently and I ride on one (1) at my career dept. The electrical system is flawed. In Stafford we kept losing ALL our rear lights. I mean warning lights, brake lights, marker lights and tail lights. We kept having to hit the reset under the dash cover and time it right with our master warning light switch. They sent us two or three "mother boards" to fix the problem. Guess what, the fourth finally fixed the problem. Only thru our service company, Paul Kling and Assoc., did it get done right. The Spartan A/C units as recently as 1996 were greatly underpowered and very prone to electrical problems. We actually have to leave the master warning light switch on to have the A/C compressor work. Other than that they have been great. Lots of room and good quality interior work. As far Pierce goes, I don't like to admit it, but they make a good chassis. If I HAD to buy a Pierce it would be a Quantum. Very roomy, but lose the fold down steps like New Haven did. A very good idea with the L.A. style doors. As far as their Dash model, very cramped, I mean very cramped up front. You need a small driver and a smaller officer if he/she is expecting to get dressed enroute. Pierce has nice workmanship and a good design philosophy matched by only one other builder. E-One is the chassis I woul go with. The best all around. In terms of structural design, room and functionality it is tops. Very crash resistent. We have had 3 of our Truck Co.'s in new E-One's involved in major accidents and they have held up very well. Firefighter safety is paramount and they did well. Like all the other builders who use aluminum, it goes along way to weight reduction. Unlike other aluminum builders, their design and use of extrusions in superior in terms of survivability and durability. Spartan is going to start building for E-One, if they have not already, and they are going to have to use E-One extrusions. That does say something. Don't forget about HME, they are coming on strong and make decent product. The only one I have seen up close has been Chicago Tower Ladder 10 and Squad Co. 1. Tower Ladder 10 is a HUGE rig, very nice interior design and layout. Squad Co. 1 had a nice layout and good interior design and durability. Unfortunatly, they got hit in the cab and they should be getting a new cab and chassis for the rig. What they buy may lend some suggestion on the way the HME cab and chassis handled the accident in terms of damage and repairability. Dept budget also may come into the picture also. Buy what works best for your needs. Be safe.

Larry

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Look into the Pierce Dash 2000. A lot different than the older style dash. It is by far one of the best chassis I have ever driven or rode in .

Doo600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Trust me on this, spend the x-tra $ on a 100 foot ladder. 75 footers are too short to do any work especially if you're in a residential community with decent size yards. Dash 2000 is probably the best cab I've ever seen, at least take a look at it up close.

ffshotime
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Stay away from anything that deploys your supply line from a rear chute. It is far too common for the hose to get hung-up coming thru the chute causing serious injuries to the plugman. Trust me on this I am living proof.
    Be Safe
    Joe

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I like Romania's words of advise. We just put our 105' Pierce on a Dash 2000 chasis in service. It is "Da' Bomb". Everone that has driven it and set it up likes it alot. Easy setup and almost F/F proof. The Dash 2000 chasis rides and handles better than any of our other apparatus.

------------------
    EDDIE C.
    F-52 -
    PTFD21@firehousemail.com
    "Doin' it for lives and property !"
    ECarn21's Homefire Page

jmatthe7
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a 99 Pierce Dash 2000 105'with all the bells and whistles. The multi-plexing system and on board computer work great. The computer even monitors the pump for pressure influxes and makes approprite corrections. This is by far the safest fire truck I have ever driven. The braking system is just like driving your car. If money is an issue call your local distibuter and ask if anything is coming off the assembly line that isn't sold or is being made to demo. This can save you considerable dollars.

Truck 132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Spec at least a 100' ladder, we have a 75' and it is ok for a two story building but anything taller forget it. Also look closely at how the supply hose comes out of the back. Recently saw a picture of an truck with a roll-out tray under the ladder, looked better than coming off the top of the truck.

Thread Information