Thread: Rescue/ tower

pahoseboy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Rescue/ tower

Here is one for you guys. I belong to a volunteer company that is just starting into vehicle rescue. We have all of our equipment on our engines. We are looking to replace our ladder with a tower and thought about loading our rescue equipment on it. I would like to hear from any company that has done the samething. The good and the bad. Thanx

resqb
    Firehouse.com Guest

What kind of tower? A highly manuverable single axle w/a 65' stick or a dual axle 75' or 100'. If a larger truck, keep the rescue stuff off of it. There's not enough manuverability to get to the out of the way places. Also overhang will be tough if you have to take a interstate crossover. I'd even have a problem with the shorter trucks. The overhang (angle of departure) may be even greater with these vehicles.

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

This is a double edged sword. The benefit of keeping the rescue tools on the pumpers is that you probably have more pumpers than ladders. In the event of the "Big One" you don't have your rescue tools on an apparatus that is committed to a long term incident. The down side to keeping them on the pumper is that (I am assuming here)if they are on a car fire or alarm call, then they are unavailable for an MVA assignment that could drop simultaniously. I have known alot of departments that keep their tools on Truck Co.'s. This is because of the usual greater availability of these apparatus for "Jaws" calls because they are less likely to run down the road for dumpsters and medical runs. I do believe that the type of Truck Co. apparatus is important, but I disagree with resqb. I look at it from a storage space angle. The smaller the rig, the less room-plain and simple. A 65' single axle ladder or mini-tower is already gonna be packed if properly outfitted with normal Truck Co. equipment. If its a quint then its already trying to carry the tools for two types of jobs. If you try and put resue tools on their it is gonna be sloppy. Tools will either be seperate from each other or some will be left off the rig completly. This does not cut it. A large rig is better suitable for carrying rescue tools if you decide to do so. Be careful to spec the rig for this assignment, don't let it be an afterthought. Size of the rig should not be an issue for MOST MVA/Entrappment assignments. These types of incidents usually occur on larger surface or elevated roadways. These are the same areas that large trucks traverse daily. It can be an issue however in more rural areas, especially with unimproved roadway surfaces. I say if the rig is big enough to handle the tools together and entirely together than do it on the Truck Co. Another benefit is that the nature of Truck Co.'s is to facilitate forcible entry on the fireground. This means that they will usually have additional cutting, prying and other forcible entry tools already onboard that can assist at extrications. Be safe.

Larry

Thread Information