Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    raricciuti
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Rear pumps on engines

Does anyone currently use rear-mounted pumps on their engines? We are considering this as a possibility on an engine we are spec'ing out. What sizes (GPM); what manufacturers (both apparatus & pump); type drive (PTO, split shaft, etc.); location of pump panel; type of valves (electric, direct linkage, etc); location, size, and number of discharges and intakes; location and size of preconnects; or any other pertinent details. How do they work out when laying in as the attack piece, forward & reverse lays to an engine already on scene, and supporting a hydrant with a 4-way valve already in use? We are really entering unexplored territory here, and would appreciate any guidance you may be able to provide. All comments good or bad, for or against, are welcome. Thanks in advance!

------------------
    R.A. Ricciuti, Firefighter
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department
    www.mtlfd.org

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Two Berks County, PA companies have 4-Guys engines with rear-mount, rear panel pump setups:

Kenhorst Vol. Fire Co.
    Amity Township Vol. Fire Co.

I really don't know anyone at either one that I could put you in touch with, but if you can find them on the web or some other way, you might get some info there.

N2DFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Sorry I don't know of any rear mount pumps in my area, but I do have one suggestion for you.

Contact a few (or all if you prefer) of the vendors you are looking at building your rig. They should be able to provide you with a list of departments in your area that they have built a similar truck for. They should also be able to provide you with contact info for those departments and possibly even a copy of the specs for the rig (which really helps if you see something on their truck you just HAVE to have for yours).

Just my 2 cents worth - Wish you luck on the new "War Wagon"

Take Care - Stay Safe

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check with Anaheim, in Orange County, California. They have been using them for a number of years. They seem to have pretty good luck with them as they just bought some more recently. Their new ones are from Saulsbury as are their older ones I believe. The only thing I didn't like about the one I saw (I believe it was Paramedic/Engine Co. 7) was the location of the crosslays in the wheelwells. Its a good use of available space, but it seems cramped. Be safe.

Larry

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a rear mounted pump on our main attack truck, while i'm not a pump operator i have heard from other guys that it seems to be pretty good, I'll ask around as to what the guys that have used it think, and post again.

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley

Andrew R. Duval
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Hampton Fire Department, Hampton CT., has a rea mounted pump. The Engine was built by Marion Bodyworks. They seem to be happy with the unit. I suggest you go to Marions' webpage. Thye may be able to answer some of your questions.

------------------
    Rexcin

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ok, most every body agrees it is a good design, when at a scene the fire is usually to one side or the other of the truck, allowing the pump operator to not have to turn around to see what is going on like midship pumps, The one bad side to the location of the pump is that to gain access to the equpment on top ot the truck, such as ladders, and pike poles you are some what in the Pump operators way, as there are ladders to either side of the pump to get to the top of the truck.

------------------

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Woops got some other info, our pump is a 1500 GPM at 150psi, 4-1.75 discharges, 2 2.5, and 2 4" discharges, It is a Hale pump, PTO? the large valves (deck gun, tank fill, etc) are electric valves, while the preconnects are manual. We have preconnets off the front, left and right sides, and the back(top hose beds). We have intakes (6") on both the rear, left and right sides(all toward the back). As for lays (forward-reverse) we have 1000' of 4" LDH with storz couplings so this isn't too much of a problem.

------------------

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I also feel the rear mount pump idea is a good one if it is used in the right application. I also like the top mounts if the truck is layed out right. The rear mounts are really nice on Rescue's with a pump and on Attack/Midi Pumpers. I even have seen some first run pumpers with nice layout rear mounts. This leaves alot of options for your pump controls, intakes, and outlets. Check around. Most maunfactors now offer rear mounts and all pump manufactors can configure one. They will all will be willing to provide you with references for department who currently use these pumps. Another thing you may wanna check out is the new Spartan Mountian Star 4X4 Custom Chassis. They really did their homework on this one. Let me know if you need anymore info on these pumps or who to contact. Another source of info will be the PA Fire Expo, in May. All the major players will be present with alot of stuff to see. You can also check out www.firetrucks.com.

colfireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept has a Sparton Gladiator,Anderson engine.It has a 1500 ipgm hale single stage w/500 Gal poly tank.rear pump w/foam pro 2001 system.carries 1000 ft 4" ,5 11/2" pre-connect lines,1 21/2" pre-connect,seating for 6.we spent 3 1/2 years specing out the truck,even travelled to baltimore to get ideas.check the truck out at www.vicsurf.com/cvfd
    e-mail if you want more information.Greg

Nathan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nearly all engines in New South Wales are rear mounts, and in the US, Phoenix, Tempe, Anaheim, Huntington Beach and Seminole Cty use them (to name a few)

LT302
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I think it's a great idea. I recommend you look at a firm named V-Tec out of Vermont, they build some very interesting rear mounts.

Thread Information