RF Duval
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Hydrualic Ladder Racks

In the process of looking at many engines and speaking with the folks who use them, I have heard both good and bad about hydrualic ladder racks. In our travels we have seen both racks and slide through spaces on newer engines.

We do not want to mount the ladders on our new engine the "traditional way". We have had too many "brushes" with objects that have resulted in ladder damage.

What are your experiences with the hydrualic racks and/or the slide through spaces?

------------------
    Dep Chief RF Duval

JimDWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

The dept. I work for part-time has two engines with ladder racks. They carry a 28ft ext; 14ft roof; and a 10ft attic. They work great. The only problem i've seen is to make sure the locks are fully open before raising the rack. If not we have broken off the metal plates that the locks rest on. Also by having a ladder rack it gives the engine more compartment space to carry more stuff. A real plus.

Stay Safe

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have an engine with the Zico fold down rack holding a 24' extension and a 14' roof. No problems with it at all.

Our aerial has a custom built rack that holds a 35', 24' 14', 10' folding, 10' attic and all the pike poles and hooks. We just got it Saturday so the jury is still out on the long haul, but it's performed well since we got it.

One problem with slide throughs - if later arriving apparatus park closer than 14' to the first due, how you gonna get the ladders out?

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our new engine has a Zico hydraulic ladder rack. It has a 24' extension ladder, 14' roof ladder, 10' attic ladder, and also holds 8' and 12' pike poles. It has been great, no problems at all. We did it mainly because we wanted more compartment space. Sometimes you have to watch how you place the truck on streets. When it comes down you need a few feet on the side of the truck. So make sure your not too close to parked cars. If you want to see it, i have a picture of the truck on another post in this section. Its under the post new engine.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

[This message has been edited by NUMBY (edited March 29, 2000).]

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our newest truck has a hydrualic ladder rack, just looked at it and could not find a name. We have had a couple of problems with the setup. It carries a 24,14,10 ladders, plus a 10 foot hard suction, and 2 pike poles. The only way you can get the 10 foot attic ladder and the pike poles off, is to keep the ladder rack up and climb up on the rear of the truck. The clip that holds the 10 foot in place broke the other night, and we didnt know it and we put the rack down and the ladder fell off and hit me in the head.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe

pahoseboy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have them on our 1999 Quantum, they hold a 14 ft roof and a 24 ext and 2 pike poles. Like Numby stated you have to watch where you place the engine. You also have to watch for clearance, we had our roof ladder removed by low laying phone lines one night.But over all I would say thumbs up!

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use two styles. One with a 35, 24, 14 and 10 on both sides of the rig and another group of rigs with a 35 and a 24.

tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept/ has a 1998 Seagrave with a Zico ladder rack. We haven't had a problems yet. The members of the dept. really like it.

firenurse
    Firehouse.com Guest

One of the engines in town is outfitted with a hydraulic ladder rack. They have had no problems with it getting ladders off but...

Putting the ladders back on proves to be a chore. I have seen them mount and unmount the ladders 3 of 4 times after a call to get it right. Not sure why they have tis problem but they do.

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have two engines with hyd. ladder racks. One is ten years old and have had no problems.
    I dont like to blister the ladders in the side of the water tank, cause this pushes the side sheets up higher.
    If you have to carry hard suction hose you can also place them on the ladder racks.

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firenurse We had the same problems in the past. If you paint marks on the ladder rungs that go into the holders it makes the job a lot faster. also remember which way the heel or the tip goes helps

Capt Lee
    Firehouse.com Guest

All out rigs except the truck company have a lowering rack. They're great. 3 ladders, pike poles, and 2 sections of hard suction on a couple rigs. Our's are Pierce engines and they stick out far enough that you can still get in and out of the compartments.

sgfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have a ladder rack on our 91 Pierce and will also have one on our new engine (due June 2000). They are great we have had no problems. Just remember if you do get one make sure the driver parks far enough away from parked cars, curbs and etc.

Truck 132
    Firehouse.com Guest

We spce'd a hydraulic ladder rack on our new engine. We carry a 24' extension ladder, 14' roof ladder, and a little giant on it. We were also able to put both of our 6" draft hoses and our long pike poles on the rack. The hydraulics will not operate until the lock switch is in the unlock position. It is a great improvement over the old way we mounted equipment.

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We have two (2) twin Spartan/Quality Rescue Pumpers with hydraulic ladder racks. I would not spec them again. Ours hold a 35' Ext, 14' Roof, 10' Attic, 6' and 8' Pike pole and a 6' and 8' Sheet rock puller. Part of our problem was that it was a new design rack. We recieved the 2nd and 3rd racks of this type ever made by Quality. The 1st one was on a demo and really didn't get used and abused. There is only the center hydraulic cylinder and support arms. Nothing on the ends like on the Pierce model (See, I do like some things about Pierce). We have had both of ours reinforced because of the rack going back and forth when the apparatus is moving. Anyway, they are tree trimmers due to the height of the rack because of full height compartments on both sides. Also they get dirty and abused by the weather. I would recommend and spec a ladder tunnel. There are no moving parts, the ladders stay clean and the height of the rig (In our case) is lowered somewhat. The offset is that the hosebed is a little taller. Just my thoughts. Be safe.

Larry

[This message has been edited by STATION2 (edited May 05, 2000).]

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have the one ladder rack that came with the 96 Pierce which is tolrable. we also had one retrofitted on ou 85 Hahn , don't know the brand but it is a bear to get the ladder off. It's to high for even the tallest of us to get the ladder of comfortably. I'm 6/0 and its ateye level for me. The Pierce is a little better, but even for a Pierce lover there is room for improvement.

Thread Information