Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    bkrois
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Multipurpose tankers

Just wondering if anyone in this forum uses multipurpose tankers? I know that the<a href="http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/7873/index.html"> Rattlesnake Fire Protection District</a> and the <a href="http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6658/">Fallon/Churchill VFD</a> have tankers that are like a rescue/pumper/tanker all in one. Does any other department out there have a multipurpose tanker? How do you like them?

Thanks

Bryan

Nathan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

The New South Wales Fire Brigades (Australia) uses "Composite" appliances (pumper/tanker, pumper/tanker/rescue, pumper/tanker/hazmat and pumper/tanker/rescue/hazmat) at many country stations. Most are 4x4 Isuzu FTS twin cabs (crew 6) and carry around 3,000 litres of water (about 800G). They seem to work all right as a multi-purpose appliance, but being a "jack-of-all-trades", it is a compromise (a master of none). A fair compromise for country areas.

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Combination apparatus works well but I am not sold on the one piece does it all theory. (Never have been and probally never will be!) Ever hear the story of the man who put all his eggs in one basket when he emptied his hen house? Well his basket broke along the way and he was S.O.L.!
    Anyway what I am getting at is this. Engine-Tankers work well if your roadways are capable to handle larger rigs. Rescue-Engines work well for fire calls as engines, to EMS calls, and to vehicle accidents. Quints work well as smaller trucks or engines in certain situations. Departments geared for these operations have had alot of sucess. These are the ways of the fire service future. My area of the county I live in has seen alot of change in my time in the fire service. We now have hydrants in some areas (about 1/3) and are getting more all the time. Years ago we had none. Every department have at least one tanker. Most departments in our area are switching to Engine-Tankers when replacing their aging Tankers. We are now starting to see more mutual aid and multi-department dispatching on boxes, especially during the day when manpower is very low. Single piece responces from each station during the day has become the normal with some stations able to get up to 3 pieces of apparatus out during the day.
    Basically everything depends on how your department runs it's operation, the area you cover, your training programs/system, and most importantly your budget. We all try to do the most we can with what we have. Sometimes pride can get in the way but that needs to become a thing of the past also. Remember that bigger isn't always better. The best way to save money on any apparatus purchase is to do your homework before hand. Never buy a piece of apparatus for your current needs and not include your projected needs of the future. Last and most importantly is never limit yourself to one manufactor when specing and purchasing a new piece of apparatus. (NEVER!) The more you plan and shop the more you will save and buy smartly. Feel free to contact me if you need more info or if I can be of any help. Take care and be safe. FGN.

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

...Never buy a piece of apparatus for your current needs and not include your projected needs of the future. ..

Sounds like an argument for a combination piece of apparatus, sounds like you need to buy a rig larger for that future growth, sounds "like putting all your eggs in one basket" that you warned us about.

All of our rigs have all their eggs in one basket it works quite well. If you only had one rig to run or that you could guarantee would get out on all calls, why wouldn't you want all your eggs in one basket? We cover 5000 square miles, 4989 of it without hydrants, no troubles here.

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I also said it all depands on your department, your area, and your set-up.
    The problem I see with all the eggs in one basket is what happens when the rig breaks down or is out of service? How far apart are your stations? What is your closes mutual aid or assist departments? I like Engine-Tankers and Rescue-Engines and Quints. What I don't like is the does it all truck. In our area size of a rig is important. I do have to argue that Bigger is not Always better. If a rig is to big and you can't get where you need it then what? I do like the Rattle Snake rigs. Alot of good planning there. GOOD JOB GUYS!I have also seen several unusual designs or concepts that I have really liked. Comment back or email me and I will reply. Thanks Neil.

tanker1-5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

We have a Tanker/Pumper. It has the "Twin Steer. It works really nice and I like it. That is why my name is Tanker 1-5. My dad ran the truck when e first got it. It has a lot of good features on it. I think that it is a good envestment to buy a Tanker/Pumpr due to the fact that if your lead engine is out of service, you have a bakc up engine. Plus you have all the water that you would need if it was also a tanker. I like our truck and it was a good envestment.

CAPT123
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Department runs three pumper tankers all with 1000 galons of water. Two are 10+ years old and the third is 4 years old.

We are facing annexation from the City and a loss hydranted district. Moving to an all rurul district. We are currently selling two of the pumper/tankers, the 1996 and the 1990. The 1996 is 34 feet long, too big for tanker operations in tight neighborhoods. Also selling a Rescue pumper. Combining Rescue pumper and pumper tanker in to one truck, and buying a 2000 gallon pumper tanker. Pumper/tankers seem to work nice, can carry a good bit of hose and equipment that a tanker only, could not carry.

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

FireGuyNeil, allow me to throw some info you asked for. LHS has a 1 station dept (Fallon/Churchill). Its in the middle of the desert so assistance is atleast 75 miles away if not more. (If memory serves me from when I last talked to him). The breakdown problem for them is not an issue. They have four (4) of them. 2 with 65' aerials and 2 without. All have I believe 14 preconnects, CAFS, class "A" and "B", You name it. Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you on most of this issue. Most departments don't have the luxury of 10 man crews and that many capable rigs in one volunteer dept. Be safe.

Larry

[This message has been edited by STATION2 (edited May 22, 2000).]

ezyrider39
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My department has two stations, each has one pumper/tanker (or engine/tanker I guess)and one engine. One pumper/tanker has a 1500 gal. tank, the other, 2000. The engines both carry rescue equipment and respond to all accidents and EMS calls. We've also got a squad w/just about everything under the sun and a truck (we also have a tower on the way! ). IMHO it works great, kind of combination plus splitting up your eggs. If we do need a pure tanker, one of the mutual-aid companies will supply it. (We have a county-wide system, it works great!) However, I realize we are pretty lucky in terms of the people and equipment we have, I never realized how well we had it until I heard about a department in Texas that didnt even have turn-out gear. Well, there's my ten cents.

------------------
    See you at the big one

Thread Information