tanker1-5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Are Junior Firefighters Good or Bad?

Please tell me if you think Junior Firefighters are good or bad?

JSLIVA71
    Firehouse.com Guest

My opinion is that Junior Firefighters are a big asset to their companies. I started out as one and now I am active. I believe being a Junior prepares you for your active status. But one thing is that you have to have your mind and heart into it. Stay with it and keep safe.

dtj
    Firehouse.com Guest

Generally, Jr. firefighters are a good idea. It provides the company with new members and the chance to evaluate them. It gives the jr. a chance to belong and opportunity to mature. I have seen jr. firefighter programs actually turn people around and become more productive in the community.
    However, jr. firefighters require more supervision, particularly on the fire scene, and that can be a pain in the butt. Companies should also outline their basic responsibilities (training, cleaning, house rules, curfew, school, home, family, etc.). Many jr. tend to neglect these areas once they get in. (This is all personal experience.)
    The firehouse is not a place for jr. firefighters who have nothing to do to just hang out. It is a place to learn and provide an essential community service.

So to answer your question, Junior Firefighters are good!

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I started out as a junior.A few friends of mine were members and talked me into joining.I learned teamwork,first aid ,some firefighting basics and it gave me a sense of belonging to the greatest brotherhood in the world.Now,30 years later,I'm chief of the dept.These kids are the future,and if we can make a positive impact on their life goals,it can only benefit all of us in the long run. STAY SAFE!

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Juniors programs are valuable for recruitment. Let's face it...if you can hook 'em when they're young and make fire fighting part of their everyday life, you're likely to keep them for a long time. Nearly half of our current senior crew, including the Chief, Deputy Chief, me (Lt.), three engineers, and about six fire fighters started as juniors.

With juniors, you will have to deal with a certain amount of over-zealousness, their desire to do more than they should, and their belief that they know more than they do. These things are normal for teenagers, and, if you anticipate this and deal with it in a positive way, they will be fine and so will you. You can't expect them to walk in the door acting like mature adults and experienced fire fighters...they are neither, and that's why they're restricted in what they can do in the fire service. However, with some effective mentoring and a lot of training, you can get some really good fire fighters out of your juniors.

chris_647
    Firehouse.com Guest

Junior Firefighters is the way to go. It gives the young people something to do as well as something to be a part of.Lets face it if they are involved in the fire service then they are not on the streets getting into trouble. Our Junior Firefighters have to stay in school,maintain at least a "C" average, and they cannot run a call past 10:00pm on a school night. Our program seems to be working pretty good .

Firefighter4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I think JR's are a great way to get volenteers. It also gets kids interested in the fire service.

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well i hate to be the bearer of bad news but... I'm not totally sold on the Jr's. True, I have seen Jr's come into the fire service way before my time that are still contributing members of there departments. But most of those joined in the 70' and 80's. Over the last ten years I can think of very few who have lasted more than a year. It is enough work for me to run the daily activities of the department let alone worry about a Jr. is keeping his grades up. I'm also not quite sure if a fireground is the place for a 14-17 year old to be. Should a person of that age be subjected to vehicle accidents with fatalities? I realize that Jr's are very limited in what they can do on the fireground by law, but lets face it, there is nothing that says they can't go to fires or wrecks. And if you were to adjust your by laws so that they read that way how many Jr's would hang around the firehouse for three years without ever going on a call? The ones that would hang around without going on a call are the ones that will last 30 years. I just hope that i never have to call up someone's spouse and let them know that there loved one is dead. Could you imagine calling up a 16 year olds parents and letting them know that there duaghter was killed because the fire truck was involved in a fatal accident during a response? Can the fire department be a positive influence on teenagers? Absolutely. Has the fire service helped children who would have otherwise ended up to be criminals, yes. But the Jr's belong at the station not on the firground. Just my opinion.

CHFD73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Similar to a probie (in some ways), a junior is what the guys that have been around a few days make them. They need to be mentored and groomed to where you want them and the standard that they will be excepted to uphold. Ensure that they seek self-improvement (as much as they can due to there age) and ensure that they are mentored by a good firefighter. Unfortunately my department has never had a set program, we have mulled over it several times but with the rest of the requirements in NY it is just tough to get the guys to dedicate more time. I have been able to observe other departmentís w/ the program and they seem to like it. I was at the State Chiefs Convention and observed a group from the Colonie, NY area. They were in uniformed, disciplined and seemed intelligent. I guess my point is that if the program is well maintained and the JR's are serious and mature, it can be a good program.

------------------
    "When All Else Fails" CHFD-F.A.S.T.

Jr_ AssistChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I am a junior in two volunteer departments and believe in the programs more than anything I've ever done. I've seen it change the lives of kids and give them responsibility and something to make out of their lives. I have been a junior for only a few months, but have been in or around the firehouse since the day I was born. I've seen many people come and go and some are still around 10 or so years later. It takes a responsible and dedicated person to be a firefighter and some kids my age aren't up for it. But the selected few really push their weight and more and help out a lot. A junior program is only as good as the men and women involved in it. Some try it and it doesn't work out, and that's ok. Volunteer fire departments take a lot more time than what you think you're signing up for, and it can be too much. The dedicated thou, "yahoos" as some, like I, treat it as our life and a source of pride we'll always carry with us until we die.

Jr_ AssistChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

CHIEFJAY4, what are you trying to say? First you say that juniors just sit around the station for three years and never make a call. Then you say that they should never go on the fireground and just stay at the station. What the hell is wrong with you? Juniors need the experience, because when they turn 18 after F1 is done they'll be in that fire with you and you'll be regretting making them sit around never seeing a fire. Sure F1 gives you some experience but not like watching the way a fire is handled from the outside. The creation of teams, rotation, rehab, overhaul, etc. If you want to sit around the fire house and play with your hose try it and see how it is. Have fun!

nfd20
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR DEVELOPING A JR FIREFIGHTING PROGRAM? I ASK THIS B/C IM ATTEMPTING TO GET MY TOWN TO SET UP A JR. FIREFIGHTERS PROGRAM. EMAIL ME WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Neil Murphy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Jr. Firefighters? What better way to getquality firefighters to maintain a fire department. It provides an opportunity for young men & women that are interested in fire fighting to "see what it is all about" and make a decision if it is right for them. You have the chance to train them to beconme active fire fighters, determine capability and allow them to mature.

In our department we have a Jr. program. In the last 3 years I have seen at least 3 young men that were at a cross roads in their life that made a turn to the fire department and have grown into mature responsible young adults. Jr. Fire fighters are the future of the fire service.

Take time to train the next generation and reap the benefits.

------------------
    Neil Murphy,CFI
    Unified Investigations & Sciences, Inc.
    Captain
    Elizabethtown Fire Dept.
    Elizabethtown, NC

Thread Information