heuveltonfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down FREIGHTLINER FL80/Laverne

We purchased a "NEW" 1998 Freightliner FL80 Side mount pumper. It has been nothing but headaches since we received it. It has been out of service more than in service over the past two years. The tank was two big for the body, the drive shaft needed replaced shortly after we got it. The front suction was in the way of the turning radius and the wheel was cutting into the pipe. NYDOT would not even pass the truck to use on the road. There is a major rumble at 45 - 55 MPH under load that NO ONE ( and we been to 8 or 9 places including three freightliner dealers) can tell us what the problem is. We bought the truck off of a dealer named Luverne. We are currently not using the 150,000 dollar piece of equipment do to safety concerns. Has anyone heard of problems with this truck? I have heard rumors that the FL80 is a flop? I fear we are stuck with this truck. We would like to return the truck due to poor workmanship. we have lawyers looking into it now. There is no lemon law for commercial equipment. How can we legally get our money back and go with a totally differbt truck like E-1 or something? PLEASE HELP!

[This message has been edited by heuveltonfire (edited June 01, 2000).]

SYSIPHUS
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have lots of FL's, Two are FL80's (tankers,1800gal) and have had no problems.
    You might want to talk to Laverne about the custom work done to it.... also if it was speced heavier than the truck can take it won't matter who makes the truck. Garbage in Garbage out. best of luck!

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think u mean Luverne...no?

------------------
    The information presented herin is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our dept. has 1999 FL80 Pierce Rescue pumper. We've had no major problems with the truck. The small ones that did come up were taken care of right away by either Pierce or freightliner. http://www.htfd.com/rescue-1.html

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department purchased a 2000 Freightliner FL80 with a Luverne Stainless Steel Top mount pump and have been VERY impressed with both the Frieghtliner and especially the Quality and Workmanship of the Luverne body. The Engine drives and handles wonderfully, pumps like a dream and the fit and finish of the body components, door openings, brackets, etc. is out of this world. Chicago started using Luverne in 92 and continue to use Luverne for their pumpers. I had the opertunity to look at a 1995 Chicago Engine built by Luverne. The pumper had 70 to 80 thousand miles as I recall and with the exception of a couple of torn seats the Truck was still in fine shape.
    Good Luck....I hope you get the problem resolved.

brvfd3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I HAVE A QUESTION WHO DESIGNED THE ENGINE . THAT IS WHY THE TANK IS TO BIG AND THE FRONT SUCTION IS IN THE WAY. ALSO THE OTHER PROBLEMS SOUND LIKE THEY ARE LUVERNES PROBLEMS NOT THE FREIGHTLINER. ALSO WE GOT A FL80 A YEAR AGO FOR A SQUAD AND IT IS GREAT FOR OUR DEPT.

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

You didnt state what size tank it was and why dot would not approve it. Did your department spec the FL80? Maybe a larger chassie was needed. Luverne has an excellent reputation for handling warrenty problems.

heuveltonfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Department did the specs on the truck, the (what we wanted) the people we by the truck from should know, if this is what we want then this is what we need. It should not matter if we asked for a 1,000 gallon tank or a 5,000 gallon tank. They should be able to tell us for a 1,oo gallon tank you need this size truck, for a 1250 tank you need this and so on. As for the front suction, even though it was an additional cost, the installers should know if it will cut the turning radius down (which we had stated the spec for) Not only did it cut the turning radius down, the wheel cut into the steamer line and was almost to the point of cutting through the line. Laverene's solution: turn the wheel stops out, problem now is it does not meet our original specs.
    We had a list of over one hundred things NYDOT said was wrong with the truck and that is why they would not pass the truck. (even though an emergency vehicle does not have to pass an inspection to be used in NY state.) When something is broken and needs fixed it takes forever to get them fixed. We ordered chrome gages on the truck it came with black rubber gages. We told them about it, they ordered the wrong ones again, finally ordered the right ones and then almost 5 months later we got the right ones installed. Certainly says a lot for buying local next time instead of having to accept the lowest bid. I can sell a pickup truck for $150,000 if I didn't have to meet the buyers original specs!

I think Laverne's motto must be: Tell then anything they want to hear but then when it comes down to it, give them nothing they want and drag your feet as long as you can so hopefully the warrantees run out and then they have to repair it!!

Thread Information