Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SFD161
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question We want to build a rescue..........HOW?

My department recently was recently given a truck with the understanding that we could convert it into a piece of fire fighting apparatus. Since I first posted this in the Firefighters forum, I have received more information, so I am posting it here now.

We have a 1985 International S1600 and are interested in making a rescue truck out of it. The truck currently has a flatbed on the back which we will remove. Where can I look or who can I call to get information on purchasing an appropriate "box" to transform this truck into a lean...mean....rescuing machine? Something with exterior storage only or internal and external, it doesn't really matter.

Our current rescue is loaded to capacity with equipment and this seems like a great opportunity to update to a newer and better vehicle.

Thanks
    Scott

------------------
    VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER....THE UNPAID PROFESSIONAL

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fire Engineering, June 2000, Page 87 "Specifying and Purchasing a Rescue Truck" By William Peters.

------------------
    The information presented herin is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

brvfd3
    Firehouse.com Guest

YOU SHOULD FIRST DECIDE EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO PUT ON OR IN THE PIECE. THEN LAY IT OUT ON CARDBOARD TO LAY OUT WHERE TO PUT ALL OF THE TOOLS. SO YOU HAVE A PLACE FOR EVERY TOOL. ALSO MAKE IT WORK FOR THE TYPE OF CALLS THAT YOU RUN IN YOUR AREA. IF ANY MORE QUESTION EMAIL GLAD TO HELP

Ray R
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Check with your local beverage distributors. The boxes used for soft drinks and beer delivery can make a good unit. You might even be able to get one donated. Hackney has been selling complete units based on this for years. They normally have ads in the fire publications.

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

In addition to what bryfd3 stated on current equipment, also make a reasonable "wish list" of equipment you will purchase in the future.
    Fill your rescue truck with your current equipment, and have fun trying to find room for a long ram, 2 extra rope bags, or a low pressure air bag you buy two or three years later .....it ain't easy (or fun).
    Try to keep light equipment high, and heavier equipment low. If you go with external compartments, try to keep equipment (such as rescue ropes) in a different compartment seperate from equipment that may be opened when it's raining (extrication equipment). This will keep your rope from being exposed to the weather.
    Try to keep your main tools (chisels, saw-zalls, and hydraulics pre-connected if you can.
    Since you have an International cab, you may consider leaving some room in the box for at least the drivers gear.
    If you have seen a "box" from another department that you like, contact them and see if they will give you a copy of their specs.
    Please e-mail me, my department currently has a has a walk-in, and it replaced a box with roll-up doors.
    Good luck!

[This message has been edited by BC White (edited June 07, 2000).]

SFD161
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Keep them coming.

Here is a picture of what I am visioning.....

------------------
    VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER....THE UNPAID PROFESSIONAL

Daniel Barr
    Firehouse.com Guest

if you invison this you must a little money.
    if you want a strong body that will last for years try spencer manufacturing
    www.spencermfginc.com

Thread Information