Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    fyrmedik
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Rescue Pumper Suggestions

Our department is in the process of creating specifications for a new rescue pumper. It will be used to replace an aging pumper, and expand our rescue capabilities. Any ideas or suggestions?

tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

My dept. took delivery of a Pierce/ Freightliner rescue pumper last year. It was set to run medicals, car accidents. car fire etc, the usual calls. It is also rated as a class a pumper and can be used for drafting fill site or relay pumper.We love it. If you want specific information, Let me know. http://www.htfd.com/rescue-1.html

pete892
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. just took delivery of a Pierce Saber rescue/pumper. It features a 1250 pump, 750 tank, high both side compts, plus power reels for jaws and AC power. Nice winch on front and shift on the fly hydraulic generator. I can get you specs if you need them.

------------------
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    sinclair@csi-net.net

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here are some thoughts that came from our own "Rescue Pumper & Aerial Platform Committee." Of course, you'll also need to satisfy your attack and supply line needs which I didn't mention here. Above all, remember the truck will be WHAT YOU SPEC IT TO BE. So, make sure it will do what you want it to do before it shows up in the station.

• Make sure the body is a rescue-style body. Don't put yesterday's traditional body layout on today's chassis and think it's going to work. The sides should be high so you can mount electrical, hydraulic, and air reels up and out of the way. The compartments--lot's of 'em-- should be wide, tall, and deep.

• Don't make hand-ladders impossible to access in an emergency. Ladder racks are all well and good--until you have an urgent need for the ladders! I'd suggest carrying the ladders under the hosebed, or beside the hosebed. Whether to put a door over them is up to you, but I'd just toss a safety chain across the opening to speed things up. Make sure the manufacturer has used this ladder system (and any other system) SUCCESSFULLY in other apparatus. You don't want to be the "guinea pig."

• Roll-Up Doors vs. traditional style. For some larger compartments, I think it is worth the extra $$$ to install roll-up type doors. For smaller compartments, such as over-the-wheel-well ones, the roll-up door mechanism eats up too much useable space. Think about what you need to carry, and why you might want each type of door.

• Consider different pump panel options: traditional side-mount, top-mount, rear-mount, or be radical and eliminate the traditional pump panel with point-of-use valves. Either way, I'd recommend the electronic throttle systems, but I wouldn't eliminate the backup manual throttle system... just in case.

• Get enough bright lights. Light-towers are nice, but they're $$$. For a lot less, you might look into mounting preconnected tripod lights on the tailboard, along with flush mounts and Quick-Raise mounts. It's amazing how much the tripod improves the light's coverage. You should be looking at atleast 1500 watt lamps. Also, I'd advise to have 12-volt ambulance style "scene lights" in case your generator fails. Power rewind reels are a nice option.

• Go above and beyond NFPA's recommendations for underbody lighting. Make the area surrounding your truck BRIGHT.

• Don't skimp on AC power. Check out hydraulic, diesel, and PTO generator options. Each has pros and cons, and depending on your budget constraints, a combination might serve you best. Make the electrical system easy to run: labeled, simple switches, etc. Think about how many kilowatts you might possibly use simultaneously, then add 5 or so (atleast) for some growing room and safety.

• 500 to 750 gallons of water. Depending on your needs, this might not be enough. BUT, any more and you start to lose the whole point of the rescue pumper: big, rescue style compartments.

• Coffin Compartments up top. Accessed via a pool-type ladder, these compartments surrounding the hosebed make good use of space for infrequently used items.

• CAFS? You can make your smaller-size water tank last longer, and tank advantage of the benefits of compressed air foam. If you get it, make sure it's easy to use (i.e. it defaults to CAFS). Atleast a Class A system though, if CAFS will break the budget.

• Extrication system: I would have to recommend the Amkus Ultimate system hands-down. Run off the PTO, it is the best system out there. You won't have to fill a compartment with an inhouse hydraulic pump, and you'll have simultaneous operation of up to 6 tools up to 300' from the truck. It is $$$, but I think it's well worth it. Check into preconnecting a tool such as the Combi-Tool in the front bumper on a reel.

• Winches. The newer type which is moveable and attaches into universal receiver hitches is great. Only problem is that these are typically electric winches. Ideally, I'd get a large hydraulic winch front or rear, and a smaller portable electric winch to use off other sides of the truck.

• Make use of the front bumper. Winch, Preconnected attack line, preconnected hydraulic tool and reel, Preconnected handlight and reel, preconnected air chisel and reel, suction intake... there are lots of options up here. Don't over look it!

• Preconnect, Premount, and Prepare. Take the reciprocating saw out of the box and have it mounted, preconnected. Same for air chisels, airbags, hydraulic tools, hand lights, scene lights, etc. Try to reduce the number of steps it takes to accomplish a task.

• Have the manufacturer pre-mount your equipment, tools, install radios, and do anything which might necessitate you to wave your own Makita Drill at the truck once it arrives. This will mean you will need to be thorough in your specs though.

• Have some quality flashlights and chargers installed in the cab. I'd get some "lightbox" type flashlights, as well as "survivor" type which can be clipped on your coat.

• Climate Control: You should be able to make the cab an Arctic Igloo, or a Saharan Sauna in a short amount of time. Make the troops comfortable.

• Thermal Imager: if you don't already have one, toss it into the budget. Let the manufacturer install the holder/charger. They work.

• AED: Statistics show sudden cardiac arrest is what kills the majority of FF's... not the "Red Stuff." Even if you don't provide public EMS care, atleast take care of your own. If training will be an issue, make it not an issue. Get the training, and get some BLS equipment on the truck. It could just save a friend's--or even your own--life.

Finally, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. What you want can probably be closely matched with something that has already been built. You can then tweak something close to what you want, and turn it into what you need.

I've probably forgotten a lot of stuff, but I'm sure the pro's on here will fill in the holes for me!

CHFD126
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well written Resq14.

The rescue squad I also ride with is in the process of specing a new heavy rescue. This is the first truck I have been involved with and the one thing I can say is take your time and look around. Look at everything you can. You'll be amazed at some of the ideas others have come up with that you can incorporate into your piece. You really only get one shot at it, so make it right the first time.

Daniel Barr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Res Q 14 you sound like you should be selling rescue trucks. You are so right about many of the points you bring out.

I would add that now is the time to include all that you may invison wanting on this rescue in the future.

It is easier to make a lump sum budget payment and save the inflation cost of waiting to install equipment that you need now but feel you can't afford.

Prices are rising fast.

tvp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department is just starting to put together a specs for a new rescue pumper. Our biggest concern is the size of the vehicle as we have a great number of large homes ($1,000,000+)that have very long winding wooded driveways. We have a lot of 5inch hose and we are not too concerned about water. any suggestions

ladderman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My dept. runs almost all Saulsbury’s if you are looking for the best costumed made truck Saulsbury’ the one. We looked around and no other manufacturer will touch the customization that Saulsbury will they will build to your needs. It will cost a little bit more but you will be getting a truck that was made for your needs.

jgerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Although almost every department has different needs some very helpful things we did on a Pierce Lance a few years back were ordering the ten man cab and only make three rear facing seated positions to make more elbow room. The unit has only one forward facing seat in the jump cab in the center with cabinets on each side in place of the other seats. The cabinets work well for EMS,rope rescue equipment etc. and keep it all high and dry (also warm in cold weather). Make sure and order roll up doors.Immediatly below this is a transverse compartment for long boards. A pto generator and prewired quartz lights are great too.

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Good points!

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Don't forget the Federal Q!!

------------------
    CRN

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

We run a 1992 Pierce Arrow Rescue Pumper. It is a great truck. We relized that a full blown straight rescue was way too much for us. Most of the calls we get are auto wrecks. Not too many Building colapses or other rescues. Alot of times the rescue is the truck we take first. It hold more people than our engine and is a lot nicer ride! My suggestion is that you look at what you're average rescue call is and what your Mutual Aide companies have as well.
    Kyle www.chalfontfireco.8m.com

East Haddam#1firefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Check 4-guys fire apparatus. They build custom stainless steel trucks. They will build and spec any possible design you want and the Stainless steel is standard on all of their trucks. They gaurantee their trucks for 20 years all the way down to the sub-frame. In East Haddam Connecticut we have two 4-Guys trucks; a 2500 gallon Peterbuilt Tanker and a Custom Pumper with a Spartan Cab, 2000 gallon per minute pump, a Detroit Diesel with 1420 foot pounds of torque and much more! All of this ausome equiptment put in a 26 foot long truck! Their web sight is <A HREF="http://www.4guysfire.com" TARGET=_blank>
    [URL=http://www.4guysfire.com]www.4guysfire.com</A>

------------------
    Shawn Daigle
    East Haddam F.D.
    East Haddam Connecticut

[This message has been edited by East Haddam#1firefighter (edited September 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by East Haddam#1firefighter (edited September 21, 2000).]

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tvp View Post
    Our department is just starting to put together a specs for a new rescue pumper. Our biggest concern is the size of the vehicle as we have a great number of large homes ($1,000,000+)that have very long winding wooded driveways. We have a lot of 5inch hose and we are not too concerned about water. any suggestions
    You may want to consider looking into what General Safety has to offer. I have seen there trucks that had a considerable amount of innovative featuers that be off interest to you. For example, the interior of each compartment is squared off and does not have any light fixtures or visible wiring complicating storage of equipment. Compartments are provided with raceways for running wire throughout the body. The raceways are bolted in place for access to wiring should their be a problem. The raceways have built in tracks for mounting of shelves. This elimates the use of unistruts that decreases the width of the compartment. The roll-up doors are stored in a seperate compartment above the compartment. This elimates the door being visable or stored in the compartment. With the doors being stored in a seperate compartment allows you to mount any type of reel to the ceiling at the front of the compartment. The body subframe is supported by using an
    I-Beam extrusing that extends to each compartment body skin. This subframe provides the fire department with a standard 20 year replacement at no additional charge. There are many more features available for you to research. A vehicle like this with a Medium Four-Door chassis has a 176 in wheelbase with a 50 degree cramp angle with a height of 10' 2" and a total length of about 30 feet. Lots of luck in your endeaver to come out with a piece of equipment that fits your department needs.

Forum Member

Chief,
    Like you, this thread is retired. It's 8 years old!!!! The truck has probably been in service for 6 years already.

Thread Information