chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Telesqurt or Straight?

My co. is in the process of buying a quint. We are looking for something in the 75' foot range. The truck needs to be set up primarily as a engine(500 water,easy hose bed,ect...) but with some truck co.. What are the major pro's and con's of telesqurt or straight ladders? Any ideas?

Jr_ AssistChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Do you need your truck to have a ladder? Sorry about yelling earlier, just hit a certain spot inside.

Jr_ AssistChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Do you need your truck to have a ladder? Sorry about yelling earlier, just hit a certain spot inside.

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

Some of the nice features of a Tele-Squrt is that they have a really short outrigger span, due to their "A-Frame" outrigger design. The tip load on the 75' is comparible to any regular 75' aerial device. One other nice feature is that even with a 75' Tele-Squrt, you can maintain a really short wheelbase. They are available with fold-down hand rails to assist with keeping the OAH down to a minimum. You have to consider your tank size. 500 gallons would be maximum on a 75' w/single axle. Anything over & you might be into a tandem, which is no great loss either. All of the Tele-squrt models, (50', 65' & 75'), are all NFPA compliant for aerial devices. Check out www.AmericanLafrance.com for more information on the Tele-Squrt family.

Good Luck & Be Safe!!

------------------
    GRC063

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only issue I found with the Tele-squirt is the width of the aerial. Our sister co has a 65' and I used it on a chimney fire. I am not a big person, nor do I have a rescue truck in my pockets, but I found my self getting hung up after every step, with just a ladder belt and a SCBA on.

------------------
    Stay Safe.

Lt. Whip FSI/EMT
    Ledyard CT FD

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

We operate a Squirt and a 100' aerial ladder. Do not kid yourself - you're not buying an AERIAL LADDER when you buy a telesquirt. It's an elevated waterway with a small access ladder attached. Not only is the ladder undersized for "real" ladder company op's, it's hard to access the ladder because of its position on top of the waterway.

BUT.....

Our "Tower" is a great pumper with the advantage of an "instant" elevated master stream. We've done great "damage with that truck. My favorite was the interior master stream attack on one of those paycheck to paycheck remodeled fire traps. That master stream safely entered the structure and pushed its stream right through the building to the seat of the fire.

The telesquirt is a great product, just don't order one with the expectation of getting a "ladder," because it's not.

If you want a "Ladder," you need to break the bank and spend the $750,000 to get one.

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

..The tip load on the 75' is comparible to any regular 75' aerial device...

Not exactly, 0 lbs at 0 to 45 degrees is not like a regular ladder.

STATION2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

500lbs from zero to 45 degrees and then 750lbs from 46 degrees on up.........now thats "like an aerial ladder." 500 gallon tank, Class "A" and "B" foam cells, 1000' of 5", 700' of 3", 3 crosslays, 1 front bumper line, extrication equipment off the rear of the rig, 10KW PTO generator, aerial pulley system for rope systems/rescues, oversized waterway, backboard/stokes basket storage and the above mentioned aerial all in one neat tidy self contained package. Primarily an Engine Co. but they cart around a "real" aerial device for those occassions when its needed. A Telesquirt device has nifty features that should make you cringe if you want a real aerial on top of your rig. Folding handrails (Won't go very far to build confidence when climbing it), a ladder that is built on top of a waterway (Sounds like an afterthought to increase market share), a bed section thats no wider than a 35' three section ground ladder (Aerialscopes have the same width or wider ladders and theirs are for emergency use), no easy access to the "turntable" of the thing even if you did want to climb the thing. Now for some positive thoughts on the telesquirt device. Excellent way of increasing your options on an Engine Co.. A rapidly deployable exposure protection tool, good for defensive stands when it comes to master streams and all for a reasonable increase in price. If you want a "real" aerial on your Engine Co. that you can use without having to worry about it, don't buy a telesquirt. If you want a master stream device ONLY then think telesquirt. After all you get what you pay for. Just my opinions. Be safe.

Larry

lbfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The fire department that I am on runs a 65' telesquirt w/ 500 gwt/1500 gpm. we are also supported by a 100' aerial platform out of another community. The squirt is good for being first due, making a quick attack and being able to use the ladder for a knockdown or rescue. The only problem is when you have a fire at a high-rise or at a factory - type building, then you really need the 100' platform. I really like the squrt as the first engine out. I know that some other communities run the squrt with auto extrication gear on it, but we don't. Talk to you firefighters and ask what they think about have a quint/squrt. Also take a look over the past couple of years at your runs, structure fires, car accidents and see if you really need it or get a platform.

Bill

------------------
    Safety first, then the hero stuff, or is it the other way?

Exclamation Urgent technical info

Greetings from Mexico

First we like to introduce ourselves, we are a metal-mechanic workshop who is committed with our community and we worry about the city needs. Thatís why the local fire department brought a Pierce tele-squrt 1972 equipment because it has a leakage in the telescopic hydraulic system.

As a matter of fact we donít charge for this fixing (Thatís our way to help the community).

But we donít know how to disassemble the telescopic hydraulic system in order to fix it.

We are asking to anyone who can give us information which can help us to fix the leakage, itís important to say weíre experts on hydraulic cylinders and we can make almost all the necessary parts.

Weíre not going to profit with this fixing we only want to cooperate with our city and community giving our experience for a good cause.

Hopping that someone can help us I am grateful to your time for reading this post.

dmejia@industrialochoa.com
    www.industrialochoa.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjay4 View Post
    My co. is in the process of buying a quint. We are looking for something in the 75' foot range. The truck needs to be set up primarily as a engine(500 water,easy hose bed,ect...) but with some truck co.. What are the major pro's and con's of telesqurt or straight ladders? Any ideas?
    Some of the other responses already touched on one of the most important questions to ask upfront. Are you looking for an elevated master stream or are you looking for a ladder to use for climbing, victim rescue, etc plus be able to use a elevated master stream?

If you just need the elevated stream, then look at the TeleSqurts. If you want to be able to climb it, then get a stick.

My department has been running an E-One HP75 Quint for several years now. It operates predominately as an engine for us and works very well at that. There's plenty of compartment space for a full compliment of "engine" equipment and some "truck" equipment. The sidestacker hosebed option (replacing the curbside highside compartments with a hose bed) works well. Our LDH lays out without problem and the only real issue with repacking is having less room to move around up top while packing it. Just have to be careful you don't lose your balance and fall off. Ours has a 210" wheelbase and gets around our tight streets pretty well.

The biggest "issue" using it in place of a "normal" engine is the difference in overall hose bed capacity. Some of this in my opinion can be overcome with some design creativity and some of it might not be a big deal depending on what you normally need to deploy for hose. For example, we only carry 800' of 5", but that's been enough to cover our needs so far. We really don't use our 3" much, so the small bed of 3 hasn't been an issue so far.

I'm not trying to push you towards E-One, but the design has work pretty well for us so far. Pierce has a similar unit and you could probably get something similar from a few more manufacturers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I'm not trying to push you towards E-One, but the design has work pretty well for us so far. Pierce has a similar unit and you could probably get something similar from a few more manufacturers.
    Hopefully they no longer need any pushing or nudging as the post you're replying to was over 8 1/2 years ago!

Forum Member

Details,details. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Hopefully they no longer need any pushing or nudging as the post you're replying to was over 8 1/2 years ago!
    Oops.

Didn't even notice the dates when I posted.

Forum Member

Woo-hoo........

Free post. LOL

Thread Information