Thread: Pierce Kenworth

CHFD73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Pierce Kenworth

At the recent NYSAFC Convention the commissioner and staff have decided that it is time to look at commercial chassis in lieu of a custom one for our next replacement in 2001-we currently have all custom apparatus. The idea of a commercial chassis is not what scares me it is the one that Pierce has selected to continue to produce, the Kenworth. I am looking for any information about the Kenworth Chassis, whether it is good or bad. I also would like the pros and cons as well. Finally, if possible I would like to get some pictures. Thanks for the help.

------------------
    "When All Else Fails" CHFD-F.A.S.T.

Daniel Barr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Personaly I think commercial cab and chassis are made for delivery drivers who don't need a lot of room. The small savings you get into over a custom is not worth the cramped interiors.

Fire trucks chassis manufacturor listen to the problems that chiefs are telling them and are making changes to correct them. Commercial manufacturors don't care about Firefighters concerns. We are a small percentage of chassis sold. you have a fire department buy 1 or 2 chassis versus a neighboring delivery business who buy 60 at a time. If that fire fighter complains, do you think they care?

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

I spent 5 hours driving the new KW Pierce. Things I like about the chassis is the flat floor in the cab area. The chassis drove very nice and rode very well. I have all custom chassis at my FD. If the only chassis you can afford is a commercial you better take a long hard look at the Pierce KW. A very impressive rig

Gbwilt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have had some experience with this cab & chassis. Rides well, good room, and great sight lines. Kenworth & Pierce spent a lot of time making sure it was right. If you know Pierce, they engineer the heck out of a rig before they put their name on it.

My department has 9 custom and 2 International rigs, and I would trade the IH ones for Kenworth in a heartbeat.

Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

This post has been removed by request of the user.

CHFD73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Justin,
    Had an opportunity to take a look at the truck that your department had purchased, in fact it is the one from the show. This time I took an extensive look, as did several other members of the department. There are differently some pro and cons to this type of vehicle. I hope that your department enjoys the new truck and all works out.

------------------
    'When All Else Fails' CHFD F.A.S.T.

CHFD126
    Firehouse.com Guest

To echo my colleague, #73, it is a rig with pros and cons. I did have the opportunity to drive it. It had it's 1000 gals of water, but no other equipment, so I don't know how realistic the experience was, power-wise and stopping ability. My concern is mainly the split construction. We are a dept. with all custom rigs, with the exception of the rescue. Everything is from one manuf., designed for the fire service. I'm interested to see how the Kenworth holds up over time. Good luck with it.

John Berryman Jr.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by CHFD126:
    To echo my colleague, #73, it is a rig with pros and cons. I did have the opportunity to drive it. It had it's 1000 gals of water, but no other equipment, so I don't know how realistic the experience was, power-wise and stopping ability. My concern is mainly the split construction. We are a dept. with all custom rigs, with the exception of the rescue. Everything is from one manuf., designed for the fire service. I'm interested to see how the Kenworth holds up over time. Good luck with it.

RKSmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Saw the Kenworth/Pierce cab when it was still in R&D at factory. Room is not a problem. With it's 50 degree cramp angle is should run circles around other conventionals. Pierce seems to back their conventional chassis sales very well.

Thread Information