Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    FireMedic38
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Brush Truck/Slide in

We are in the process of purchasing a pick up truck which will be fitted with a slide in unit for brush fires. We have acquired some literature and have several to look at in surrounding towns.
    -What is your experience both with the type of truck and slide in?
    -What has worked or not worked for you?
    -Why did you purchase the one you did?

------------------

Ray R
    Firehouse.com Guest

We build our own units instead of purchasing a complete slide in. The set up is the same but buying the tank and pump separately and placing them on a skid gives us some leeway on pump location, hose reel placement, and placement of other equipment.

The commerical units that I have had the chance to work with performed well.

We do plumb our units a little differently than a commercial unit although it could be adapted if need be. We place a "T" fitting on the discharge side of the pump and run a 1.5" line into a maniflod. The manifold has discharges for the hose reels, recirculating line, spray bars, and outlets for using 1" forestry line for hose lay\mop-up operations. This places all discharge controls in one area for easy identification and operation. By using a "T", you still have a straight through discharge for supporting a 1.5" line when needed.

Good luck with your new rig.

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I would agree with Ray about location of pump, reels, and other items. It may sound a little crazy but I would also recommend a 2.5 tank refill connection for those multi-tank brush fires. I would aso highly recommend an adjustable percentage inline foam eductor to attach to the reel line. remember that this will only be a pickup so don't overload it. My dept. only has one reel on our slide in and it works well. I would also suggest a sliding rear window on the pickup so that the person riding in back can communicate with the driver without having the side windows all the way open and sucking up alot of smoke. If you have questions, email me and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

------------------

vollieff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Dept. opted for a custom built unit. which has worked well for us. Some things we learned and thought I would pass onto you:

1 Use acron valves, we had used gate vavles and found them to be too hard to turn at times. We have since replaced them.
    2 Try to get the pump to run off of your trucks fuel tank, this has worked very well for us.
    3 We had a regular garden hose piped into our system. This has worked wonderfully for tool clean up.
    4 We use a piece of fabric that can be rolled down to protedect the truck from scratches at our panel and preconnect location.
    5 Try to get a noise cancelling headset at the panel for the opperator. We have a problem with hearing orders over a hand held at the panel.
    6 We had an alum. skid put in the back to protect the bed as we have found that the truck is very usefull at structures fires for tool cleanning and putting dirty rolled house in back for transport.
    7 In our piping, We changed the set up which had the tank to pump and the preconnect valves located inward in the truck, we have since installed "T" handles on a small pump panel within easy reach of the opperator.
    8 And in my eyes the MOST important thing. DO NOT EXCEED THE CURB WEIGHT FOR THE TRUCK. I had the missfurtune of having an accident with our piece and was glad our chief engineer stuck to this. The truck reacted to my commands perfectly. (no one hurt and totally the other guys fault, he ran a stop sign about 50ft in front of me, we were not responding to a call.)
    9 We have a Ext. cab and removed the back seat for equipment. We find it hard with gear on to get to things in the middle with only the seat moving up. Wish we would have gotten a third door or both sides open.
    10 Watch the hieght of the pump, we ended up installing rotators on the back couse the roof mount lights were not highly visible from behind in a car.
    I hope this has given you some helpfull info. If you would like to see the truck on the web with it's stats, let me know. Any questions please feel free to ask.

These are my opinions and not that of my Dept.

iresq
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are in the process of putting together a brush truck. We are using a 2000 Ford F350 Diesel. This truck had the highest GVW of the three manuf. We purchased a custom skid load with foam. One of the neat options we went with was was a raised platform for the skid unit. This allows storage underneath for rakes and brooms along with two pullout drawers for forestry hose.

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept.is also in the process of replacing our brush/mini pumper. WE looked at skid units, but felt they limited our flexibility in setting up the truck for our needs.The truck will feature a 500gpm motor driven pump,200 gal poly tank,4.5" rear suction,cross-lay forestry lines,on board generator with light towers,forestry hand tools and foampro packs.It will also be set up for hydrant and water supply operations.And no, it does not exceed max gvw for the truck.The cab/chasiss/utility box were state bid and the rest of the parts were purchased from suppliers.A local firm that refurbs fire apparatus will do fabricating for us and the total cost of the progect should be in the $50,000 range.When it's done I'll see if I'm technolgically smart enough to post a couple picture to this site. STAY SAFE!!

Rhinofire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

FireMedic38,

We built our own brush truck 3 years ago. The truck is a Chevrolet 3500 single wheel with a regular 8' box. In the box we have a 250 gallon poly tank and 300gpm pump. We have the pump plumbed with a 2.5" fill, a 1.5" discharge to each side of the truck and a garden hose discharge for refilling indian packs. On top of the tank we built a storage tray for a stokes basket with a hose bed on each side. In each hose bed is a 100ft. length of 1" forestry and a 10ft. length. The 10 ft. length is preconnected to the discharge. On the back of the truck we removed the tailgate and added a beavertail that is two feet deep and we have a safety railing all around it. To use the truck one or two firefighters ride on the beavertail. They are in communication with the driver by firecom headsets. Then by using the 10' preconnects are able to drive along the fireline and apply water where necesssary. All hand tools are stored under the hosebeds in the truck box.

The things we really like are the beavertail and headset intercoms. The beavertail works as a good place to carry hose back to the station after a fire and the intercoms allow easy communication with the driver.

Hope this helps any questions drop a line.
    Good luck!

capt311
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our truck is a 1999 ford f-550 we went with that chassis because of the high gvw rating and after several truck comittee meetings we decided that a flat bed will be installed with compartments installed on each side of the skid unit. the skid unit is a mertz 300 gal 300 gpm pump 40 gal foam tank it's a great working truck we love it.

chief14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check Midwest Fire's website; they seem to have a neat skid unit. Good luck and have fun!

ultrafire
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department this spring put in service a department-designed truck. It is on a 1999 Ford F350 extended cab (with four doors)chassis. It features a 200-gallon tank that is raised off the deck of the truck for storage of rakes, shovels and suction hose underneath. The pump, a CET 700 gpm portable, can be removed from the rear of the truck by two strong guys in about two minutes. We did this because we have several water sources that you can't even drive a pickup to. We then pump water into a porta-tank and use a Class A pumper to refill tankers for shuttles.

The brush truck has two reels, one 100-foot one inch and one 200-foot .75-inch.

We also elected to use a portable winch. We put a 2-inch receiver on the front to match the one on the back so we can pull the truck in either direction. Our old truck had a PTO winch on the front, but we always wanted to pull ourselves back. Now we can do that without running pulleys and blocks.

We also included sprayers on the front and had side running boards custom made from 1-inch pipe to keep the scrub from scratching the truck and to also allow shorter members to more easily grab stuff out of the bed, which was sprayed with an epoxy coating to prevent scratches and rust.

Our rear bumper was custom made to stand up to small taps without bending.

If you want to see pictures e-mail me and I will see what I can do.

Thread Information