CaptCraig
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Apparatus Refurbishing

We're looking to refurb a 1984 Pirsch pumper/tanker. Some things to include are new poly tank, hydraulic racks for ladder and folding tank. Does anyone have any other ideas to look at. Also, does any one know of refurb shops in the Kentucky area

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

You might want to contact the NFPA. There is a new standard coming out that covers refurbishment of apparatus. It will probably be very helpful. Some items that I would consider are warning light upgrades, pump work, enclosing of cab, (if not 4-door already) and adding reflective striping, if not yet done.

------------------
    GRC063

M1NFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I dont know about your area(Kentucky) but I do know that some of the major apparatus manufacturers do refurbs, and I also agree that you may want to bring the piece up to NFPA standards as best a possible. IE relocation of the audible warning devices to the bumpers. Being an 84 I assume your truck has jumpseats, so depending on your budget, enclosing the cab may be an option as well. I know areound here the late model Hahns have been reto'd with Pierce cabs
    Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Check out M&W fire apparatus in Virginia. They use to be a refurbishing shop before they started building new apparatus. In addition you may wanna consider a doing some sort of glider package. Spartan offers Glider chassis and E-One and Pierce have glider options as well. Also check out www.firetrucks.com. Our ladder truck is being remanufactored by Interstate Truck Equipment of Hagerstown Maryland. They do alot of refurbs/remans. Also check out New Lexington Fire Apparatus and a company called Kenco Fabricating both og which are in Pennsylvania.

RKSmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Try Singer Associates Fire Equipment, Roanoke VA Shop. They are associated with Pierce but will work on any brand. They do excellent work.

Steve Hagy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Summit Fire Apparatus of Edgewood builds new rigs and refurbs. You can check out their web site at: http://www.summitfireapparatus.com/

FireOne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have you looked or considered the condition of the trucks power plant? Diesel or gas, manual or automatic? As part of the referb. these items must be looked at.
    I have seen a lot of departments that get a cosmetic referb and a year later the truck is back in the shop.
    Who ever you choose, make sure they will meet the NFPA regualtions and what kind of warrenty comes with thier work?
    There are a lot of shops and companies out there that state they can perform this work. Ask for referances and pictures of previous work done.
    Good Luck.

------------------

FireGuyNeil
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Check out Kenco Fabricating Company located in Scottdale PA. which is near Pittsburg PA. Not sure how far they are from you. Also might wanna check out Summit Fire Apparatus. I think they do refurbs. Before you refurb make sure you have a good chassis to refurb on. If you have a fairly decent one here are some things to consider:
    Take an oil sample at your next service and send it out for testing. This will tell you alot about your engine and it's condition.
    Run your pump through a pump test. If it passes your impeller is usually ok. It's also good to have a certified pump mechanic check out the pump and gear box and see if he finds any problems or can make any recommendations.
    Have your frame rails, cab mounts, steering, brakes, and suspension componets gone over by a good mechanic who can tell you what may be worn or need replaced.
    Some businesses that do refurbishing will also do these things before they do any more work for you.
    These are good places to start before you sink alot of money into something it may not be worth. Also ask all of these businesses for references of apparatus that they have already done and call these folks and talk to them. Check out www.firetrucks.com and www.firehouse.com for more info on these and other manufactures. Hope this all will help. If you need any additional info feel free to contact me. FireGuyNeil.

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Capt Craig. Some things to look for and/or think about. Hydraulic ladder racks - You'll want them so you can still open compartments when they are down. Scene lighting - you can't have too much. Tank level lights - good to have where they are visible to the Incident Commander. Don't scrimp on frame "beefiness". What you put on will probably be heavier - make sure the suspension, steering, and drive train can handle it. Is this going to be the 1st due piece at vehicle accidents? If so you might want to consider a roof mounted floodlight to light the area approx 50-100 ft in front of the rig. How do you guys feel about foam? Also CAFS systems (probably out of budget and may not fit your need, but it IS another tool!)

That's all for now, if I think of anything else I'll add it...

C YA

cob1028
    Firehouse.com Guest

Things that you must think about; is the company that originally built you truck still in business? Are you going to be able to get parts specific to you apparatus? Does the cost of the referb out weigh the cost of a new unit with the updated safety equipment such as antilock brakes and an enclosed cab?
    What is the condition of the truck you want to referb? Engine, pump and drive line? Glider kits are one way to go but you end up with some of the old truck. Doing a refeb is ok but you can take that $100,000 and put it toward the cost of a new unit and with the interest rates the manufacturers have today it may be better to replace than to rebuild. Hope this helps. COB

J.E.Beall
    Firehouse.com Guest

Beware of E-One when chosing you rebuild company. In '96 we had a '88 E-One rebuilt after being involved in a minor accident, a sort of damage repair and life extension referb. Well for $123,000 (granted for a few $ more we could have had a brand new rig), we had spec'd 4 new doors (all doors were warped drom use) damage on the right front fixed, total repaint and stripe's, rebuild rearend, rebuild topside of engine (replace tubro ect.) new warning lights all around.
    Well after its return from a year in Fla. (as opposed to the 4 months promised)1. the new wireing under the dash caught fire on its first run. 2. There was rust on the tailboard where the Humat Valve is located (they claimed removing the rust was not part of the rebuild work, at $123,000 I think I would have polished it) 3. We went thru 3 turbo's in the first 8 months, until we decided to take it a Detriot Service Center as opposed to E-One service center to get it installed properly. 4. The stripe was the wrong color, E-one claimed they were using an old photo to match the stripe, the way I see it they had the entire truck sitting right there in front of them. 5. On the front right corner where the accident damage was, there was a 1/2 x 2 inch area of bare metal (masking tape from paint shop) when questioned the E-One rep used the excuse that that area was bare when it was brought in, duh! it had gone through Jeep that failed to yeild the right a way, of course there was bare metal and a bent bumper and no windshield on the officers side! Oh well I could go on but you get the point. Thats why Pierce was chosen for the new fleet.

Thread Information