ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am beginig to see the entire picture now. Based on your numbers in an earlier post,

"That would be $161 a year. Factor in the population of the fire district and the rating period, that frees up a lousy 35 million dollars,"

your district should have 217,391 residents.
    (35 million divided by $161.00)

I also just finished looking at some of the Fallon/Churchill FD website, www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6658/index.html, and it would appear that not all of your district has an ISO class one.

Larry, just how many square miles, and residents are covered under your ISO 1? I know I would like to know. What precentage of you district are you talking about?

And for your "truck" lets let the viewers of the forum decide. Is this a truck, or a tanker with a squirt on top?
    www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6658/index.html

I guess it doesn't make muck of a difference what I think it is,you got the ISO people to believe it's a truck.

As for some of the other points you made, you provided us with a long list of items that wil get you to that class 1. So your telling us that Departments like, LA city, FDNY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, all pale in comparison to the Fallon/Churchill Volunteer Fire Department? You must be because they don't have an ISO 1 and you do, well sort of.

As for my crack about Navada, if word gets out that your so much better than the above departments, you just might have a population explosion to deal with.

...until something else comes along which allows a fire department to evaluate how good a job it is doing compared to like fire departments ...the ISO classification is the only means available...

Well something better HAS come along, its called Fire Department Accreditation. Our department as well as many other in my area are looking into the cost VS benefit of this award. So far it would appear to be a much more indepth study of a departments effectiveness.

[This message has been edited by ADSN/WFLD (edited September 20, 2000).]

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

//your district should have 217,391 residents.

nope, dollars divided by population times rating period.

//would appear that not all of your district has an ISO class one.

Nope

//just how many square miles, and residents are covered under your ISO 1?

Barely 98 square miles and 86% of the population.

//What precentage of you district are you talking about?

300 square miles and 11% is Class 3, the lowest ISO without a water system in the US.

31 square miles and 1% is Class 8

32 square miles is a Class 9 and 1%

And the balance 4539 square miles and 1% or 300 people have a class 10 scattered on ranches more than 10 miles from a fire station.

//And for your "truck" lets let the viewers of the forum decide. Is this a truck, or a tanker with a squirt on top?

A squirt (proper spelling Squrt) is made my Snorkle, ours is made by Pierce it is a Nova quintech boom made of steel with two flys not three and aluminum like the Snorkle device.

It is not a truck it is two trucks.

//you got the ISO people to believe it's a truck.

We didnt make anyone believe it was a truck. ISO definition and NFPAs is it is a quint and a tanker and an aerial. It met 100% of the ladder service requirements of the largest fire department in the US area wise.

///As for some of the other points you made, you provided us with a long list of items that wil get you to that class 1.

No that would get anyone to a Class 1.

LA city, ISO Class 2, used to be a Class 1 for over 50 years, they got rride of 100 engines and the staffing for them.

FDNY They are an ISO Class 4, sounds like lots of issues.

Chicago Class 2, stations staffing and apparatus.

Boston dont have a clue.

Philadelphia Class 3, same grade as our rural area without hydrants, lots of issues, there are Class 1 volunteers in PA.,

Phoenix Class 2,

//all pale in comparison to

maybe in your mind.

We all take the same test, The above have FD, wateror communications issues, some more issues than others and our grades are public knowledge.

// you just might have a population explosion to deal with.

Nope, already have that with three Class 1 departments and two of the nations fastest growing cities.

///Well something better HAS come along, its called Fire Department Accreditation. Our department as well as many other in my area are looking into the cost VS benefit of this award.

Nice, you arent accredited. ISO wont accept it, or lower rates but if you feel youll have a better department because you have a mission statement, an equality plan, and can all be with one with each other knock yourself out, but you know what? Water people, stations, trucks, training and notification will fight the fires, not feel good stuff..

///So far it would appear to be a much more indepth study of a departments effectiveness.

That really says a lot, where ISO is required every 30 months and accreditation is something you choose to do or not do. And only a handful of FDs have accreditation. All 88,000 communities have an ISO grade.

Anything else?

ricky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

WFLD/ADSN

You're not going to win a "numbers game" with Larry. Give it up. He should be a politician.

ricky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

BTW Larry, Did you "move" again?

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

IS THIS ABOUT THE LACK OF APPARATUS INNOVATION OR AN ISO FORUM??? Larry, you should contact someone about doing a reference manual on ISO rating. That would free up this forum.

Thread Information