Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By islandfire03

Thread: Tower

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Tower

Looking to build a Sutphen 70+ platform, quint. Just toured the plant, and was impressed, any feedback from anyone good or bad....Thanks

Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I would recommend Sutphen. Sutphen has been a good name for a long time. The dealer in Southern NY is a fantistic guy. The one in central NY, well I'll leave it there. Warranty is fantastic they bendover backwards to make you happy. They don't seem to use as thick a material as others but still have a nice truck. Syracuse has many.I have never heard of a sutphen failure but i know of a few problems. Syracuse NY jacked in the front yard on the drivers side the tower tipped over because of the water running out the building had softened up the ground under the outrigger. It could have been better placement. Another NY Dept had some problems with cables on thier 65+' no failure. They also had some cracked welds on the turntable the dealer did not build in a independent test at the time of delivery. The welds were fixed and the inital test and retest were taken careof by the factory at no charge. The dealer had it taken from his next commission. I would definatly get the single bucket model.

------------------
    Dan Jenkins
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Angry Sutphen Tower(s) Failure(s)

This is an 'investigative' report from Atlanta / Ch. 11 News on Nov. 7, 2104:

"GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- Frayed cables and a defective pulley. They are at the heart of a 62 page report detailing what caused three firefighters to fall 40 feet to the ground, as the ladder truck they were training on collapsed."

"Investigators believe damage to one of the cables existed "prior to the accident" and that the cable's pulley - or sheave - was "worn, damaged or improperly manufactured." In one picture included in the report, you can see the sheave is too small, and unable to fit the cable that's supposed to run through it."

Story here - > http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...ment/18673667/
    Last edited by 1OLDTIMER; 11-17-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Forum Member

congrats on digging up a 14 year old thread from the grave to add your comments to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    congrats on digging up a 14 year old thread from the grave to add your comments to.
    I am sorry, but I couldn't seem to find the 'correct' thread to put this in...any idea ? ?

Forum Member

Old Timer, Is this whet you were looking for?

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...ship/13325907/

Thread Information