ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Training suggestions for a Class-A Foam system

Our department will shortly be recieving a new pumper equipped with a Class-A (no, not CAFS)and Class B in-line proportioning system. We, for the most part, understand the Class B, but using foam for structural firefighting will be new to us. I've been reading the benefits of CAFS but this was an emergency purchase and ended up with a "show truck" manufactured by KME. So Class-A is it. I guess what I'm asking is, how would Class-A attack line differ from plain water?

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only difference is that the pump operator needs to turn on the foam pump. Other than that, you use it just like a regular water line.

Firehose
    Firehouse.com Guest

ffnbs

Class A foam structure attack is handled just as you would with plain water but much more effectively. Class A foam eliminates the surface tension of the water and allows it to do its job better. Try this small demo with your department. Burn two pieces of wood and using a hand held mister, apply plain water to the wood...The fire goes out but it continues to smolder and if you watch close, the water beads up on the carbon charing on the wood. Next do the same but add a squirt or two of dish washing liquid to the water. Fire goes out, smoldering stops, and water soaks into the charing...not runs off. Same thing with Structure attack....much less likelyhood of a rekindle plus you will use less water....try it!
    Good luck on your new pumper!

Firehose

[This message has been edited by Firehose (edited October 18, 2000).]

ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Firehose,
    Thank you very much for the tip and info, I'll mention this to my "higher ups" and see if we can get everybody else to understand the principle.

Thread Information