MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Pressurized on-board foam units

Does anyone from the forum have a pressurized on-board foam unit on a crash truck? The units consist of a 150 gallon pressure tank with pre-mix foam. The tank is charged by either a nitrogen cylinder or from an on-board SCBA cascade. The unit has a 1 1/2" attack line preconnected. All of this is packaged up into a self-contained bolt in type unit.

A neighboring department gave me a pictue of one they took at the last FDIC, so someone has one. This one is made by SPECIAL SERVICE & SUPPLY, INC. The Chief also thought that ANSUL makes such a unit.

This could be the answer to my dilema of putting a pump in a rescue truck. The opponents to this idea cite the lack of space and increased costs to put on a water tank and a pump. With this, it can be stuck between frame rails and certainly would not cost what a pump set up would. So, I need to know if anyone has one and what they think of it.

Looking forward to any replies I can get!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

dfwscotty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Medic, that is exactly what we just bought for our airport. Our unit is called a "TriMax" unit. It is skid mounted and was sold to us by "Crash Rescue" out of Dallas. It has a 150 gallon water tank pressurized by air and the foam is added directly to the tank. "A" or "B" Foam will work with it. I believe it gives us approximately 6 minutes of constant discharge time. Our set-up came with a "Purple K" vessel which runs off the pressurized air also but sounds like you don't need that. Check with Crash Rescue and they should be able to help you out.
    www.crashrescue.com

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by dfwscotty:
    Check with Crash Rescue and they should be able to help you out.
    www.crashrescue.com
    God I love you guys!!! That is a great lead! The webpage has a few dead links, but it points me in the right direction. Anyone else know of any other companies making these things???

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I believe our rescue truck has an Ansul 150gal Class A system on it. It's a similar deal as mentionned above.

We've had it for 12 years on our truck. Initially, I think we spec'd this to eliminate the need for an engine to respond on MVA's. However, we've only used it twice since we got it, and I think both times were for training. The time I can see myself using it is rolling up to a scene where there is entrapment, and there is fire or a high fire danger. For something like this, it's ideal.

But...

It's a *PAIN* to refill: a big air bottle has to be swapped out and then refilled at some point, and it's limited as to what it can do. We also have a 100' length of lightweight 1.5" hose preconnected on a reel, and you have to be very careful that all the hose is stretched out before you charge the system. Otherwise, it isn't pretty. It's also not the most compact contraption in the world.

But to its credit, I have to say it is nice to know it's there if things go to hell before the engine arrives.

Tony

ffeng
    Firehouse.com Guest

Take a look at:
    Chemguard -Mansfield, TX www.chemguard.com
    They make a number of twin agent/dry chem skid/trailer units. They have a Purple K/AFFF twin agent unit using pressurized nitrogen. They are pretty flexible so I don't see why they couldn't build a straight AFFF unit.
    I purchased a dry chem skid unit from them a couple years ago. Prices were much better than Ansul and they were willing to make design changes at essentially no cost. Quality was very good on delivery.
    Using air/nitrogen pressure has actually been around quite a while. Pressure tanks for supplying auto fire sprinkler systems are an accepted means of supplying sprinklers under the correct application and conditions.
    Good luck.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Keep them cards and letters coming!! I have begun to plant some seeds to get this project off the ground.. so we shall see.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Thread Information