Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastic Tanker

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Plastic Tanker

I'll try to get some pics posted on here when we get it finished, but we have an interesting addition to our department that fits into the innovation category. It is a tanker body that is made from PLASTIC. Thought I would never see the day, but we now have a mostly plastic fire truck. It is made by a company called Triad and I think it has some real promise as a good, economy tanker.

Of course, I have already dubbed it the "Tupperware Tanker", but I am actually and pretty excited to see how well it works out. It is quite different to have not just a plastic tank, but the entire body (except for the tailboard and the Newton Qwick-Dumps) are fabricated from plastic.

Stay tuned for further updates!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited 11-19-2000).]

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Geesh...first plastic cars and now plastic fire engines.(j/k) Actually, this sounds like a great idea. I am interested in seeing how they stack up to the metal trucks. They sound like a great way for depts without all the cash to afford a $350,000 truck. Can't wait to see the photos.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

Sand Creek Lynn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Other than not rusting what other advantages are you expecting. Cost, weight,repairability, otherr?

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Sand Creek Lynn:
    Other than not rusting what other advantages are you expecting. Cost, weight,repairability, otherr?
    You pretty much hit the major ones on the head. Repairability could go either way. This is plastic, not fibre glass, so I don't know what would be involved if you damage it. We are already noticing that we need to add some tread plate to some wear places were the paint is chipping from contact.. Of course, if this were a metal truck, the tread plate would have been there anyway.

So far, our biggest reason for going with this was the cost involved. I'll be sure to keep you posted on any other developments.

Daysleeper47, aren't you from up around Cleveland, OH?? That is 60 miles from here if you ever want to take a drive down to look at at.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited 11-19-2000).]

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have three plastic pumper tankers we bought a year ago. Work fine

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Rich, it's 54.4 miles, but hey, who's counting? If I ever came down to Orville, it would have to be in the spring. With school and all, I don't know when I would find the time, but don't be surprised if I take you up on that offer.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

Thread Information