Like Tree4Likes

Thread: who is the best fire truck company

Forum Member

Holy crap thread dug up from the grave.
    last post was in 2001 till you dug up the remains.

MAXIM

Forum Member

...Bruco...

Forum Member

Cool Mack CF Get's My Vote

All of the good fire apparatus builders are out of business, today's trucks are built from plastic and beer cans !!

Back In Black

Ahrens Fox
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Today there is no best or worst. On any given day, any fire apparatus manufacturer can build the best fire apparatus ever built, or the worst piece of crap to ever roll off the line. Name brand, size of the company, years of experience, and personal preference can't change that.

But if you are talking the best apparatus manufacturer of all time it is Mack. Hands down. Give a me a Mack CF anyday of the week. They are still running calls every day even though they stopped manufacturing the chassis 21years ago. And there are some rigs going on 40 years old still operating out there.

If I ever won the lottery my "Estate FD" would be stocked with Mack CF engines, Aerial Scopes, Tenders, and a Rescue. I could, of course, afford to have them refurbed and repainted to make them better than new. Ah...A guy can dream can't he?
    nrz2304 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

We are having our 1972 Mack CF 75' Baker rebuilt as I speak, she will be a real good looking 40 year old apparatus !

Forum Member

Woodbridge , where in NJ are you from ? I worked Sandy and visited a lot of FDs. Deff a lot of tower ladders in the state.
    ?

Forum Member

The dept I was a member of for 10 years was well treated by CustomFire. They built 4 different apparatus for us and the follow up was always superb!!

MembersZone Subscriber

As a point of interest, General Safety and Central States are a very large part of Rosenbauer. Your will never see the names of General Safety and Central States used in any type of advertising because these companies along with R K Aerials and Rosenbauer Motors are Rosenbauer here in the United States. In conjunction with Rosenbauer in Europe they make up the largest fire apparatus manufacturer in the world.

Let's talk fire trucks!

The names General Safety and Central States aren't used at all by Rosenbauer anymore, although you'll still sometimes see remnants of their old names in the factories. They're simply referred to as the Minnesota plant (ex-GS) or South Dakota plant (ex-CS).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

In my almost 30 years in the fire service I have been an engineer or officer on Pierce, E-one, FTI, KME, ALF, Ward LaFrance, Saulsbury, and Quality.

The hands down winner in quality, reliability, performance was QUALITY.
    The worst by far was Saulsbury, but I blame the spec process 100% - not the company.
    All the others had good and bad points, but I liked them all. Regardless of the brand it was our bread and butter and we took ownership of it. Each engineer should treat their apparatus like it was their own car.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 16Scott View Post
    In my almost 30 years in the fire service I have been an engineer or officer on Pierce, E-one, FTI, KME, ALF, Ward LaFrance, Saulsbury, and Quality.

The hands down winner in quality, reliability, performance was QUALITY.
    The worst by far was Saulsbury, but I blame the spec process 100% - not the company.
    All the others had good and bad points, but I liked them all. Regardless of the brand it was our bread and butter and we took ownership of it. Each engineer should treat their apparatus like it was their own car.
    Thats funny, because our 1989 Duplex/Quality is one of the biggest schitboxes on the face of god's green earth. The Duplex chassis/cab is ok.....But the body.....NON-Quality.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information