Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: who is the best fire truck company

jhill
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best fire truck.

My dept. in Central Texas is going with Pierce. Specs are done on a Quantum top mount,Series 60, roll-up doors and 5 man cab.
    That is 3 seats facing forward. We are just waiting on everyone to sign off on it. We found a way to get the truck without having to go out to bid.

The best truck was the old Mack CF. Our 1975 has out lasted two FMC's and will see the 3 Sutphens leave as well. Our Quint is out of service AGAIN! The Mack is filling in as usual. Our new ladder in 5 yrs will be a Pierce as well.

We looked at ALF and Ferrara didn't want to work with us for some reason.

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

jhill, what is the quint? You pretty much a lot of manufacturers without disclosing mfg of the quint

FireComms
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Crown Firecoach!!!!

no I am NOT from LA City or County

jhill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Quint is a 1989 Sutphen.
    You can see the trucks on our web site www.sanmarcos.net/smpffa
    click on photos

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

//Manufactures using HME or Spartan chassis's
    1. Rosenbauer America - General Safety, Central States, RK Aerials, Metz Aerials

They Rosenbauer make their own custom chassis for General Safety and Central States.

USAR29
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many of you are basing your opinions on apparatus being SLOW... That is not the manufacturers fault... That is the fault of the committee who wrote the specs (i.e. Those who would rather save 2,000 dollars by putting in a motor that has 150 less horsepower) My station is famous for these kind of "geniuses".

Looking at the real issues... You certainly can't beat the fit and finish of a PIERCE!

E-One has come a long way in a relatively short time... not a bad piece.

Seagrave's arent bad, but they have one of the worst ladders on the market.

Alf isn't bad, though I have heard some horror stories about stress cracks in the cab and electrical problems... I personally have never driven or used any of the newer ones, so this is all based on heresay.

Sutphen, not bad, but the one at my old station had some electrical problems.

KME = KANT MAKE ENGINES... The absolute worst, in my mind (and my station has two of the heaps of crap)

Aerial Innovations makes a great ladder, as does LTI (now part of Alf). LTI and AI have a close ancestry (the Zimmerman family).

Baker, yep the 'scopes are awesome!

Hahn was the REAL FIRE ENGINE, unless you come from the left coast, in which case CROWN FIRECOACH takes the cake.

Mack, the Bulldog speaks for itself!

Grumman built a nice piece in their day... though the aerials never could compete with LTI...

Smeal = I saw a t-shirt that sums this one up, it read "What the hell is a Smeal"?

Saulsbury, the way to go in squads...

Pirsch were kinda cool... built some cool trucks, as did Maxim...

Next to KME, the ULTIMATE JUNK AWARD goes to.........
    the Bronto SkyLift.

Snorkel was a hell of an aerial... dont see very many today, but they are still out there, I believe as part of American LaFrance...

These are my opinions... if you want the facts to back up these opinions, just let me know!

firmech
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

USAR29 I would like to here from you on your experience with Bronto Skylift. Please email me at firmech154@aol.com Or post here if you want.

MembersZone Subscriber

In NorthWest Ohio the most popular truck is Pierce and Sutphen, Sutphen being built in Columbus Ohio is more cost efficent to departments in Ohio, it makes sence on maintance. They both make excellent truck!The department i work for has had pierce more many year but has recently purchased a Sutphen Engine and a Sparten Smeal Ladder based on budget issues, as long as the truck gets me to where I need to do my job and lets me do it effiecently, the best company doesnt matter!

Quote Originally Posted by t_stoudi View Post
    In NorthWest Ohio the most popular truck is Pierce and Sutphen, Sutphen being built in Columbus Ohio is more cost efficent to departments in Ohio, it makes sence on maintance. They both make excellent truck!The department i work for has had pierce more many year but has recently purchased a Sutphen Engine and a Sparten Smeal Ladder based on budget issues, as long as the truck gets me to where I need to do my job and lets me do it effiecently, the best company doesnt matter!
    Stoudi, you're a paramedic or an ER Doctor, aren't you????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

i vote Hahn
    118Chief likes this.
    ?

Holy crap thread dug up from the grave.
    last post was in 2001 till you dug up the remains.

MAXIM

Forum Member

...Bruco...

Forum Member

Cool Mack CF Get's My Vote

All of the good fire apparatus builders are out of business, today's trucks are built from plastic and beer cans !!

Ahrens Fox
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Today there is no best or worst. On any given day, any fire apparatus manufacturer can build the best fire apparatus ever built, or the worst piece of crap to ever roll off the line. Name brand, size of the company, years of experience, and personal preference can't change that.

But if you are talking the best apparatus manufacturer of all time it is Mack. Hands down. Give a me a Mack CF anyday of the week. They are still running calls every day even though they stopped manufacturing the chassis 21years ago. And there are some rigs going on 40 years old still operating out there.

If I ever won the lottery my "Estate FD" would be stocked with Mack CF engines, Aerial Scopes, Tenders, and a Rescue. I could, of course, afford to have them refurbed and repainted to make them better than new. Ah...A guy can dream can't he?
    nrz2304 likes this.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

We are having our 1972 Mack CF 75' Baker rebuilt as I speak, she will be a real good looking 40 year old apparatus !

Forum Member

Woodbridge , where in NJ are you from ? I worked Sandy and visited a lot of FDs. Deff a lot of tower ladders in the state.
    ?

Forum Member

The dept I was a member of for 10 years was well treated by CustomFire. They built 4 different apparatus for us and the follow up was always superb!!

MembersZone Subscriber

As a point of interest, General Safety and Central States are a very large part of Rosenbauer. Your will never see the names of General Safety and Central States used in any type of advertising because these companies along with R K Aerials and Rosenbauer Motors are Rosenbauer here in the United States. In conjunction with Rosenbauer in Europe they make up the largest fire apparatus manufacturer in the world.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

The names General Safety and Central States aren't used at all by Rosenbauer anymore, although you'll still sometimes see remnants of their old names in the factories. They're simply referred to as the Minnesota plant (ex-GS) or South Dakota plant (ex-CS).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information