Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post RECENT AERIAL PURCHASES

I am seeking information from any departments who have recently purchased a 100' or 105' aerial device that complies with the N.F.P.A. standard for aerial devices.I would prefer information on American Lafrance-LTI ,Spartan-Smeal and Pierce as they are now the candidates for the manufacture of our new aerial. I would like to know how the procedure went from the tender to the delivery. Any information including both good and bad would be appreciated. If you would purchase another aerial what would you do different? And what (once a manufacturer) was chosen we should look for and expect. If you could specify the chassis and ladder combination that would be a great help.

Thanks

ladderman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am in charge of specing and purchasing of a very large dept I do at lot of research on all the manufactures before we buy I have even been to all the top manufactures plants all around the country we just replaced 3 LTI aerials and 2 pierce aerials the LTI's we had were 10 years old and we loved them but the new LTI/americanlafrance were not built to the same quality I talked to lots of depts. Who have them and they say there not the same there built cheep I went to the LTI plant in pa 6 months ago I was there 10 years ago when we got our first 3 and I can tell you they are not building them the same way freightliner the company who owns Alf/LTI is concerned with production and profit so they are cutting costs on building there trucks and there quality is suffering the 2 pierce ladders we had were also very good and I even thought I would give pierce the order for 5 new aerials but when I told my friend who works in Boston fire dept we were most likely going with pierce he told me I had to at least look into e-one witch he swears by and now I know why so I called e-one the next day I talked to them with in a week I got a plane ticket in the mail from e-one to go down to Ocala Florida and check out there plant and aerials like I told you before I have been to the LTI plant the Pierce plant and the kme plant but let me tell you when I went to the e-one plant I was very impressed first of all it was one of the biggest most clean plant I have ever seen not only that I got to see on a first hand basis how they build there ladders and how safety conscious they are about there aerials 5 months later we gave e-one an order for 3 hp 100 aerials and 2 95 platforms we just put them in service 3 months ago and we love them I think we also are going to buy 2 hp 75 side stackers next year in my book donít go with the new LTI , pierce maybe but e-one wins hands down

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

2 thumbs up for E-One aerials.

95' E-One Cyclone II Platform arrived a couple weeks ago. Boston, Chicago, Houston... they can't all be wrong, can they?

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

This is your Brain... Pierce
    This is your Brain on drugs... E-One

HAHAHAHA

EONESUX
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ladderman, I have to agree with ya about the eone ladder. Well built. But what the ladders are attached too are nothing JUNK!. Electrical problems are the major pain in the *****. If you could put thier ladder on a Dash 2000(Pierce), now that would be an awesome aerial.

Mike021--- WELL PUT!!!!!

NUF SAID. I'm out.
    EOS
    These are my opinions only. You cant change them!

JohnM
    Firehouse.com Guest

dr inferno,

We have an LTI/Spartan tiller on order. I can go into further detail if that is of interest to you. If you are looking for a tower and/or straight stick this info might not be what you are looking for. Let me know!

pvtcfd22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

resq14-
    New Boston Tower unit goes in service in about 3 weeks, they are training on it now. It is a Pierce.
    The only comment I have is every ladder I have tried lately is nice to me, as the ladder I have been on is 27 yrs old. (the one we will be replacing soon)
    Paul
    stay safe

Forum Member

Default Aerial Purchase

Im a Capt. with Sidney Vol. Fire&Rescue in Nebraska. We just purchased a new 100' platform from Crimson Fire it was 1 year of looking at Smeal, Pierce and American Lafrance.No one has said a word about Crimson Fire take some time and look at there web site i think youll like what you see. If you have ?s you can email me at firecaptleal@yahoo.com or go to crimsonfire.com

Thank You
    Capt. Ron Leal
    Sidney Vol.Fire&Rescue
    NEBRASKA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    dr inferno,

We have an LTI/Spartan tiller on order. I can go into further detail if that is of interest to you. If you are looking for a tower and/or straight stick this info might not be what you are looking for. Let me know!
    may i ask who is LTI and thanks

Forum Member

firecaptleal,

First off nobody was looking at Crimson in this thread due to the fact that the last message in the Thread before you replied was 2/4/2001. Crimson was not around at that time.

LTI stands for Ladder Towers Inc. There are more then 3000 LTI ladders built in the US by LTI. I believe that is more then any other manufacturer in the US.

Any other questions let me know.

Yeah, I think the original poster's department has already ordered and received their truck. And they are already talking about what they would like to see changed on the spec for their next truck.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Yeah, I think the original poster's department has already ordered and received their truck. And they are already talking about what they would like to see changed on the spec for their next truck.
    ok sorry new at this and didnt see the date

Quote Originally Posted by firecaptleal View Post
    ok sorry new at this and didnt see the date
    Don't worry... All of us were new at it at one time.

I was just poking some fun.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information