FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Anyone running a rig like this?

We are in the planning stages of designing a 4 door 4 wheel drive rescue pumper. That doesn't sound too bizarre by itself. But...we want this rig to have a 1250 front mount pump. Does anybody out there have anything like this?

Talk to me...

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

Why a front mounted pump? Especially in the North with the winters like you guys have?

My past experience with front mounts was alawys having to keep the pump wrapped from Nov until Mar. With mid-ships you don't have these problems

SBLG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Fyredup ,
    We run a 4x4 IHC 4900 with a front mount, ours is not a rescue pumper but the chassis front layout would give you some ideas. We used a CSD ( HALE) front mount pedestal pump the allows the discharges to be lower then with a standard front mount. Pictures are posted at http://www.firefightersforums.com/ub...ML/000065.html
    If you would like other info or pictures please advise.
    SBLG

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Could you go with the same basic confirguration (4-door cab, 6X6), but a REAR-mount pump?? Either 3-D or 4-Guys (I always get them mixed up) can make this. It mitigates the problem of having the pump exposed up front, but allows for the kind of pull-in (in this case, "back-in") acces that some folks want from front-mounts. I've seen a few of them, and the people who have them seem to be happy with them.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

SBLJ,

Your rig was actually at my volly FD's station a few years ago. I believe it was being driven by a salesman on the way back from a show. We happened to be at the station washing the rigs on the apron and he stopped to chat.

I also seem to remember you guys had work done on it at Rennert's Fire equipment Service, they built a grass rig for you too didn't they?

I thought your truck was set up very well. It seemed as if you guys had spent a lot of time planning it out. Who built it for you? Any problems with it? Whay would you change?

FyredUp

For the rest of you:

Why a front mount? Because we have run them for years. We have never frozen one up. And... its what the FF's want.

SBLG
    Firehouse.com Guest

FyredUp,
    Our rig is a Saulsbury , other then some pump shift problems that Hale and Rennerts have taken care of things have been good. Yes Rennerts also built our slide in unit for us, local chassis and fiberglass body from Minn.
    I have to agree with Bob Snyder about a rear mount we have recently taken delivery of a rear mount pumper tanker with rescue style compartments ( lots of them ) and 25 kw amps and a light tower. So far the rear mount has been great a big truck but very easy to drive with a short wheel base.
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/Foru...ML/000073.html

SBLG

[This message has been edited by SBLG (edited 02-24-2001).]

51Truck_K
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check with an Officer from the Pleasant Valley, NY Fire Deaprtment, they run a 4door/4wheel drive E-One w/ a f/m pump

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

51Truck_K

Sounds interesting. Do you have an adress for them, e-mail or otherwise? Perhaps a website.

Thanks,

FyredUp

Thread Information