Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Doo600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Rate your Pumper-the good & the bad

We are a small 2800 call per year combination Dept looking for a new pumper. We currently only own Pierce but our northern climate is rusting them to hell. Well the chiefs just about had it with Pierce. What kind are you running and what's the good and bad on them.

Thanks for your help cause dealers always lie but firefighters don't!

------------------

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

We have all KME's and I would not give you a dime for the lot of them.

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

With regards to the rusting problem, what body material do you have. My department, for the last 11 - 12 years has specified stainless steel. We have had ZERO problems with corrosion. You might want to think about stainless or aluminum. We run 3 Seagrave pumpers, ('91, '95, '99), and have a Pierce Dash on order, which is due in the 2nd week of April. That will have a stainless steel body on it as well. Seagrave is the ONLY manufacturer of a stainless steel cab. I would recommend either Pierce or Seagrave for a pumper.

------------------
    GRC063

FireOne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Alexis Fire Equipment/ HME engine. No problems at all. Like you also have three Pierce engines. Two on Ford cab overs and one custom Lance. We will keep the Fords and you can have the Lance.
    Have ordered a new E-one HD75 quint. Its been over twenty years since our last new E-one. We will see how they do.
    While they all answer the call, on a scale of 1 - 10 on our Pierce fleet 5. The Alexis engine 7.

pwc606
    Firehouse.com Guest

What kind of cleaning care are you giving the vehicle? If you dont get the salt off, it will eat it up. I would look at something along the lines of stainless or aluminum. Most of the manufacturers are building with the same material. It is just a matter of who you buy from.

[This message has been edited by pwc606 (edited 03-04-2001).]

Doo600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for all the input. Our Pierces all have galvaneel bodies (definitely the problem) but we stay away from aluminum due to the fact that screws tend to come loose and pull out over time. We were not aware of stainless steel until lately and never looked that much into it figuring the price was outrageous. Does anyone know the price difference between galvaneel and stainless steel. (I think stainless might be in our future due to the $17,000 body work estimate on a 7 year old engine)
    Our washing policy consists of the engines and truck usually get washed and chamoised once a day, if they responded to any call or if they're noticeably dirty. I know the constant washing contributes but you gotta keep em clean to look good for the taxpayers.

Any help would and is appreciated. Thanks to those who already posted, you're helping us out alot. We were seriously looking into KME because they are opening a branch in our area, not anymore!

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

When we compared a 20' aluminum squad body to a 20' ss squad body a couple of years ago, the price difference wasn't that great.

philip publicover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our response area borders the waters of the Atlantic ocean for 16 miles. We have a 1994 Int 4900 with an enclosed crew module and transverse panel. It has a 1250 Darley pump and carries 1100 gallons of water in a galvanized tank. The body work is marine grade aluminum with a steel framed crew module.

This truck was built by Fort Garry Industries, of Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. Over the last seven years we have experienced no problems with this apparatus. As far as loosening screws are concerned I have never seen this problem on new builds but it may have been a problem when aluminum apparatus were first introduced.

Check out Fort Garry on the internet at www.fgtltd.com

The exchange rate also allows for more bang for your buck.

For those workers in the apparatus industry don't rag me for taking jobs away from Americans. Virtually every component of a Canadian manufactured truck comes from the States.

As far as the steel components on the chassis are concerned we undercoat our apparatus every year with FLUID FILM.

I hope this helps.

Train Hard and Train Safe.

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 Fire Department
    Blandford, Nova Scotia, Canada
    E-mail blandfordvfd@hotmail.com

J.E.Beall
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I allways thought FMC's were the biggest piece of s**t on the road until someone invented KME's...........

Thread Information