res7cue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Engine hours VS Road miles

I was involved in a discussion about a 1980's pumper with 15,000 road miles. The Chief stated that the pumper was still cherry because of the miles.

I stated that you can't use road miles as any kind of indicator for an engines condition, ear & tear, etc.

I know alot of shops, depts use a formula of; engine hours x 45 = actual road miles.

Let me kow what you think about this topic, formula or any other formulas.

------------------

CAPTAIN WHO
    Firehouse.com Guest

res7cue is right you cannot go by milage at all with any type of fire apparatus. Your maintance is scheduled by hours not miles as you would with a car.

However due to the severe duty that a fire appartus goes through, heavy wear and tear on the vehicle Most shops I know of use 72 miles / 120 km for every hour.

If you Check the NAVET (National Association of Emergency Vehicle Technicians) post forum and do a topic search I believe they had a short discussion on this a while back www.naevt.org

Parafiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

If nothing else, the pumper is almost 20 years old, and is near the end of it's service life. From what I understand ISO won't give credit to a pumper that is over 20 years old, though I might be wrong.

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know what you're saying with the engine hours vs. miles thing. The only thing I would say about the 80's pumper is it has low miles. I think you can tell the condition of the engine using milage, in this regard. Engine #1 has 15,000 miles. Engine #2 has 60,000 miles. Common sense would tell me Engine #1 is in better condition. Am I right or wrong? Also less wear and tear on other components like the rest of the drive train,suspension,steering,etc.

CAPTAIN WHO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes and No:

Unit 2 would indicate more wear and tear on the some of the drive line parts.

You also need to look at the operational conditions of the unit. The age is the same but milage varies greatly. This would tell me that unit 1 does short runs mostly in town. Unit 2 spends more time running distance (rural)if the given calls are about the same.

But if you look at the number of brake applications, turns made, etc. you'll find they are about equal.

I've had smoking brakes more times on a in town call than rural. Turn radius it tighter in town than rural. In town corners are murder on tires.

So if the units are the same age, do roughly the same number of calls the hours will help you establish service and inspection intervals. If you go off milage only, unit 1 is problably past due for an oil change.

I have a 1980 pumper and a 1998. We have put more miles on the 98 in 3 years than the 1980 amassed over 21 years. However the 98 has only 600 hrs on it the 1980 is close to 3000 hrs. By the way my 1980 has less than 6000 miles on it. It has only left the town limits 4 times. The units average run is only 2 miles round trip.

Hours are a gauging tool only for maintance, inspections and replacement.

The 20 year old looks really good for it's age because it's looked after. But it is still being replaced next year. It's tired

[This message has been edited by CAPTAIN WHO (edited 04-18-2001).]

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Captain Who ...good post on the braking/turning thing, intown vs rural.

Thread Information