colfireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking New Inovations for Rescue Truck

Hello Everyone.Our dept. is in the process of specing a new rescue truck.Do you have an interesting inovation or idea thats should be in a rescue truck?I'm not looking for the standard "get this truck" but something unique?

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Some departments around here have installed 100 gallon compressed air foam systems on their rescues. Give you alot more than just a fire extinguisher on the rare occasion your engine isn't on the scene when the defecation strikes the rotary oscillator.

Carpandean
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Gotta agree with Engine69 on the 100 Gallon compressed air foam. Think about how much fire you can put out with just a water can, multiply that by 20 and add foam (if you don't already). You could put out a multi-car fire with a good set-up. Another option is a PTO driven booster pump with foam system. Takes up a little more room, but can be supplied by a hydrant.

How about a PTO driven Rescue tool system? No electric pumps to power and find room for, plus the flow is constant, not two-stage -- most electric and gas systems are full flow until 1,000 or 2,000 PSI, but drop to less than half flow as the pressure increases. Amkus has the Amkus Ultimate System and the guys in Fitchburg have a Saulsbury designed system: http://www.fitchburgfire.com/services.htm

Steps up the side or back (not just a ladder, but reel steps built into the compartments) allow access to often deep rooftop compartments. They do take up some main compartmentation, but they turn roof compartments from a place to put things you never use into a good storage space for all your specialized equipment.

I'll try to think of somemore, but there's a start.

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Although I don't know all the things you have to consider for your particular rescue rig here are a few ideas we have either used or avoided.
    -Light mast.
    -Steps up the rear to top compartments. We have this and if you aren't going to get a walk-in this is an excellent way to add lots of storage for shoring for trench and colapse rescue...we also keep the tripod up there.
    -Get more room than you think you will need. You will run out of space if you think small.
    -try to avoid roll up doors. There is lots of space that you waste by having that style of doors.
    -If you are looking at Heavy/Colapse rescue consider what type of breaching equipment you will have. We have the Stanley tool system similar to what some FEMA USAR teams have.
    -Also consider a crane or heavy winch. Those are both very good tools for a Rescue Co. to have.

I actually would not get the foam system and here is why.
    -You are trying to build a Rescue rig not an Engine.
    -A couple of 40:BC extinguishers a CO and water can will put out most small fires.
    -that space will be better used for actual rescue stuff, Leave the Engine Stuff for the engine.

Just my opinion though.

I hope that helps

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with the heavy duty winch, but how about an A-frame to go along with it. Depending on your work load and district some anchor points on the side of the rig might be nice also.

Big Zee
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

That booster tank and hose line idea is a very good one. But, it all depends on how many functions you are planning for this vehicle and your operational/response structure. I have worked on units (ALS Rescue/Transport) with these systems and have put them to great use. This concept is about 10 years old, E-One of Ocala, Florida pioneered it. Give them a call.

philip publicover
    Firehouse.com Guest

colfireman:

First and foremost remember why you are spending all the money for this truck? It is because someone is in need. The way you lay out the truck has to make things quicker and safer for your members to serve the person in need.

If the tool has a cord or hose attached to it install reels. Utility air reels for air tools, electric cord reels, hydraulic hose cord reels, high pressure breathing air reels.

Mount everything so that it is out of the box and your members can see whats in a compartment without opening storage boxes.

Layout your compartments with a mind towards what is used regularly and what is used infrequently. Consider roof bins for those underutilized items.

Include lots of lighting. Forget about the standard 500 watt telelites and buy 1500 watt units. Mount them on removable tripods for even greater flexibility. Do not forget fixed scene lights to the front and rear of at least 1000 watts. These should be able to be powered while still pulling up. Use inverters, PTO generators or RV style generators. Consider a product called AURAGEN which was developed for the US military HUMMER. It is a 5 kw engine mounted power source.

Remember that the unit has six sides for mounting equipment. Front bumper extensions, roof bins, under body slide out trays, inside, compartments and the rear.

If you are buying a pumper buy a pumper. If you are buying a rescue buy the rescue. If you need to respond with a limited crew and think that a rescue pumper will do, think again and call for mutual aid. The patient(s) deserve better.

Consider what your core services are and build the truck around them. Add more ability as time goes by but remember to build the unit large enough for future growth. You may think you have everything now but someone will come up with that to die for new tool.

Make things as easy to use as possible for your members. These features all cost more money but doesn't your patient deserve the best possible. ( I know there are limits but make the best out of what you have to work with.)

I tend to rave when I talk about trucks. Read as much as you can get. Magazines, the internet or what ever. One of the best sources for info surfs these pages regularly, and that is "LHS". His articles in another publication on innovative apparatus are very good sources to start with.

Good luck.

Train Hard and Train Safe.

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 Fire Department
    Blandford, Nova Scotia, Canada
    E-mail blandfordvfd@hotmail.com

Engboss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Consider looking into Performance Advantage Company's system for mounting tools in the compartments. This system lets you more tools/equipment around without drilling holes. you can get a catalog @1-888-514-0083, if you want to see some pics, of the system in installed on a truck e-mail your request and i send you pic, of our rescue engine....

as for water or foam on the unit, you have to decide what is the unit going to used as.
    I don't like having water on our rescue, it seems to end up in places a rescue should be... Good Luck

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Originally posted by colfireman:
    ... Our dept. is in the process of specing a new rescue truck.Do you have an interesting inovation or idea thats should be in a rescue truck? ...something unique?
    At risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again anyhow:

the Amkus ULTIMATE System.

Thread Information