James Reider
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Cummings Engine Problems

Our department has just specked a new engine. It is down to ALF Eagle and a Pierce Saber. Both have specked a Cummins ISC 350 HP. engines. Now we are hearing that Cummins is having problems with blowing head gaskets.We've also have been informed that Cummins is not standing behind this problem. We've been told this has been in Semi tractors and Dump trucks. I need some information on this subject, please help.

------------------

[This message has been edited by James Reider (edited 05-08-2001).]

SYSIPHUS
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run Cummins 230hp 6 cyl in our Frieghtliner MedicMasters and have had 2 head gaskets blow at # @ 100,000 miles.
    Don't know if cummins warrantied the engines or not. My Vollie dept runs the same engine chassis combo and has had no problems. But it takes a long time to rack up 100,000 miles on a fire truck in my district.

Rookie1
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't have any experience with Cummins engines in fire trucks, but my department is in the market for a new aerial. I was at the Pierce plant in Appleton, WI last week and I don't remember seeing many (if any) cummins engines in the engine storage area. The most popular engine, in my opinion based on what I saw, is a series 60 Detroit.

Carpandean
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a '96 RD Murray pumper and '98 and '99 E-one pumpers all with Cummins ISC's with no problems. Our 2000 Pierce rescue came in and left a week later because of "a problem with all ISC's". So far, Pierce is the only one I've heard of having problems with ISC's.

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know of a nearby dept. that had a 98 RD Murray who's head gasket blew and was replaced in late Spring of 2000. Go with a Detroit. Most Cummins I have rode in or driven have been 6 cylinders, and even with the higher Hp models, with the hilly terrain around here, you can take a nap.

--------------------------------------------
    The above is my thoughts/opinions/experiences only it doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Carpandean
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Actually, the Detroit Diesel Series 60 is also an in-line six. You have to go back to the mechanical 8V-92's to get eight. There is one big concern to look at with going to a Detroit. There is almost 1000 lbs. difference in the weight of an ISC and a S60. Even the bigger Cummins ISM's are almost 500 lbs lighter. Also, if you go with the ISC you get an MD transmission as apposed to an HD with the Detroit. Again, another 500 lbs. weight difference. So, you're talking a bigger front axle, tires, etc. with the additional 1500 lbs.

I haven't had much experience with the smaller Detroits (Series 40 and 50), but the Series 60 is definitely a great motor with much better electronic governing than the Cummins (not a huge concern unless you have a lot of systems - pump, generator, compressor, etc. all on the same rig). You just have to realize that they are big, heavy and expensive.

Corvin
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run the Cummins in all of our front line engines w/o trouble. We don't have a 100k on anything, but several engines have over 45k.

We specifically left Detroit for Cummins a number of years back, but that was probably based more on an availability issue at the time. We do have one of the 8V Detroits in our ladder tower and that engine is pretty much junk (the bus drivers in the transit dept will tell you the same thing).

I'm told the new 50 and 60 series are good motors. Most of the time it seems like the 60's are getting used on trucks or these monster engines where the extra HP needs leave little choice in Cummins

Be Safe
    Chris

[This message has been edited by Corvin (edited 05-09-2001).]

Thread Information