51Truck_K
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Tower Ladder Buckets

Things are getting boring in here, so let's start some chat....What tools/equipment do you store/have mounted/bring into the bucket of your tower ladder? Irons? Hooks? Water Can? T.I.C? Lets hear it!

51Truck_K
    Firehouse.com Guest

It appears I may have posted this in an inappropriate area...since this has nothing to do with apparatus innovation, but Oh Well! If they don't like it, they'll kill it!

My experience, preferance is to have tools for both interior and exterior work in the basket with me. We have a can and some Irons in the bucket, mounted year round (the can doesn't stay if it too cold out), but we take 2-3 6 foot hooks, the halligan hook type up with us. These can be used inside or out. I also like to keep a thermal imager up there for the obvious, V-E-S situations, and other inside work, ...but for also doing scene surveys, kinda like an overview of the building, ESPECIALLY IN TAXPAYERS.. And we never go up without the water cooler filled!

TCFD12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

How about adding to this discussion the design of the bucket? This mwy be just as important as what equipment is there. We currently run a Sutphen tower. The bucket has been designed to include a 12" step wrapped around the front. This not only makes it easier to get in and out, but makes for a safer work platform when needed.

As far as equipment, a set of irons, 100' of preconnected 1 3/4", a 10' folding ladder and 6' pike (mounted on the ladder section http://www.tcfd.com/drill/19990318-02.jpg), 2-750W telescoping lights, 1-400W 12V light under bucket. Two guns, 1 - smooth bore, 1 - adjustable fog. Also, the two guns have multiple "taps" off them which allow the aerial device to be used as a standpipe if needed. We have the capability of connecting 4 - 2 1/2" or 3" lines off of the bucket. Air supply is pre-piped to the bucket and our packs have been outfitted for simple plug in operation (they have an extra "whip" added so that you need not disconnect to hookup).

The controls have been center mounted to give the operator a better view. There is a headset system from the bucket to the pedastal which replaces the traditional "squawk box" and elimiates any communication problems.

Just what we find works for us. Interested to see what everyone else runs.

------------------
    JAY KURTZ
    CAPTAIN
    TRUMBULL CENTER FD
    WWW.TCFD.COM

FFD#30
    Firehouse.com Guest

On the last fly of the stick we have a roof ladder and 8'? pike pole afixed. In the bucket we have a pickhead axe and closet hook. Our 102' KME bucket is almost as identical to TCFD12's description: 2-750W telescoping lights. Two guns, 1 - smooth bore, 1 - adjustable fog. Also, the two guns have multiple "taps" off them which allow the aerial device to be used as a standpipe if needed. Air supply is pre-piped to the bucket.

Our controls have not been center mounted to give the operator a better view, but is off to the side. There is a headset system from the bucket to the pedastal.

Be Safe

Thread Information