Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SCBA

M1NFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question SCBA

This one could get volitile, but here goes....My deprtment has put out to bid for 15 new SCBA,so far we have recieved bids from Cairns, Dragger, Msa and Scott. We are purchasing 2.2's with integrated pass devices. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about these makes, and hear opinions on what is in use in the field and if you would buy what you are using again.

Thanks for your help everyone.

------------------

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

When I first got appointed, my department used to have Scott 2A's and MSAs. When the Department requested bids for new scba in the mid 80's, we had units from Scott, MSA, Draeger, ISI and Northto try. We wanted Scotts...the city went with North (the low bidder). To sum up the North units in two words....they sucked! After a hazmat incident where a lot of our scba ended up contaminated, we went to Scott 4.5's and have had them since. My vote goes with Scott!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

F52 Westside
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

This is pretty much a biased opinion, but here it is anyway. The 2 depts. I have been on both use Scotts. We are now currently using Scott 2.2 Air Pak 50's with the integrated P.A.S.S. and carbon fiber bottles. We have had some problems with the P.A.S.S. devices but they were upgraded to fix the problem. Now some of the paks we purchased had 2 L.E.D. lights on the regulator that let you know when the air was low (I guess in case the Vibra-lert did not work). They are supposedly such a problem that Scott is no longer providing replacement lights and to replace the regulator,the hose and the unit needs to be retested. I guess it is big buckos (couple of hundred to do this).

As a wearer of these paks I love them.

------------------
    Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
    Local 3008
    "Doin' it for lives n' property"

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cairns, Dragger, Msa and Scott. We are purchasing 2.2's with integrated pass devices.

Fist, can't go wrong with the Scotts.

Second, get a couple of demos of each one and do a head to head. Which one is easier to work with gloves on? In the dark? That sort of thing.

Now some of the paks we purchased had 2 L.E.D. lights on the regulator that let you know when the air was low (I guess in case the Vibra-lert did not work).

I think it was determined these lights were not in compliance with the intent of NFPA as far as the redundant second low pressure alarm. The vibra-lert though it makes nois and vibrates didn't count as two alarms as a single failure would render both out of service. The lights required a battery and NFPA wanted something that was basically "failure proof." So they switched from the lights to the bell on the left shoulder.

M1NFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Eric here again(origional poster) I currently have all the packs in house for testing. We are planning a simulation of activities for normal use(ladders, hole humping, choppig etc) and afterward are evaluating the packs features independantly from 1-10(IE regulator use with gloved hand, confort, range of motion, vision) by breakign down each component of the pack(mask, frame etc). I was hoping to hear what everyone out there is experiencing. I am from the Northeast, which was primarily Survivair(surpriseair) Most departments are going to Scott here, with a few scattered MSA and Dragger. Cairns is another option we are looking at as well, and they dont seem to be anywhere in Mass so I have no referance base from anyone that uses them.
    Thanks for the help everyone
    Eric

Thread Information