Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By ATFDFF
  • 1 Post By islandfire03
  • 3 Post By FWDbuff
  • 3 Post By MemphisE34a

Thread: That's the coolest thing I've seen!

dfwscotty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking That's the coolest thing I've seen!

Everytime a new apparatus rolls into your bay, all the firefighters gather round the rig and say, "well, that's ok" or "I would have made that compartment bigger" etc.... Even though you may get to see the specs or help spec your rigs it's never the same until you get to lay hand upon the new rig. We all are guilty of the above comments or have heard something like it. But have you ever looked at a new apparatus and said to yourself, "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen? Tell me about it. One of mine was when we got our new Quint... I had no idea that the ladder and nozzle could be run from a radio remote.

Resq14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Some "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen"s:

- The front bumper on Fitchburg, WI's Heavy Rescue (Spartan/Saulsbury). Hydraulic combination tool preconnected to a reel, sawzall preconnected to an electric reel, and miscellaneous support equipment. The nice part was they were protected by a custom enclosure... not just sitting out saying hello to road salt, acid rain, and the like.

- The 'Saulsbury Diagrammatic Pump Panel' on Tempe, AZ's Engine 271(?). Very cool way of using a picture of the truck, color coding, and electric valves to simplify the pump panel.

- The Detroit Diesel electronic throttle (DDEC). Not necessarily new, but new to us. I like.

- Any of LHS*'s beasts.

[This message has been edited by Resq14 (edited 06-01-2001).]

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

There will be alot of WOW that's cool in a week at our station. Our new 10 man cab with a CAF system, hydraulic generator, light tower, rescue and engine type compartments with the top side bins, 1000 gallons of water. Should be interesting.

------------------
    Norwood Fire Co. No. 1
    http://www.nfco1.freeservers.com

Forum Member

I saw an engine at the Pierce plant that had a custom oil-dri dispenser. Open up the back rollup door and on the side was a pipe with a valve. Open the valve and oil-dri pours out. They had one of their coffins up top as the hopper.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedan525 View Post
    I saw an engine at the Pierce plant that had a custom oil-dri dispenser. Open up the back rollup door and on the side was a pipe with a valve. Open the valve and oil-dri pours out. They had one of their coffins up top as the hopper.
    Holy thread revival, Batman! This thread is verging on a decade and a half old. This has got to come close to a record.
    Resq14 and FWDbuff like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedan525 View Post
    Pierce didn't invent that either ::: Been done for years by several smaller builders.
    FWDbuff likes this.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Pierce didn't invent that either ::: Been done for years by several smaller builders.
    Blasphemer!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

the truth hurts

Forum Member

About the only time that I can remember a new Engine being very cool was when Engine 5 finally got their new American LaFrance Century triple combination pumper. This happened about in 1974 so you get the idea. Narrow front cab. Wide front fenders. Classic design for its era. Big Detroit, MANUAL Fuller T905M 5 speed tranny. Our master mechanic still had concerns about Allision 740 automatics. 500 gallon tank. "Twin Flow" 1500 pump. Two 150' 1.5" jump lines.

Enclosed cab. Red and white paint. The two hose men rode backwards. No A/C-- 30 mph and two armpits cooling. One of the most noisy rigs we ever had. Not so much the lack of mufflers, but just the Detroit 8V71 noise. We promptly named her "The Noise Box". Do 65mph@2350rpm Fast for the era. Big wedge air brakes. Apparatus has come quite a ways in nearly 40 years. Tailboard. Short, compact, narrow and handled very nicely. 28500 lbs full load. No complaints.

HB of CJ (old coot) Long ago and far away.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
    But have you ever looked at a new apparatus and said to yourself, "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen? Tell me about it. One of mine was when we got our new Quint... I had no idea that the ladder and nozzle could be run from a radio remote.
    Nope. Has never happened.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Now for the worererest new apparatus we ever received. It was one of the "specials" hoisted upon us by one particular non intelligent high fire officer who did not have the sense to even try to come out of the rain. This was about 1982 or 1984? Forgot. A Ladder Tower 110 foot 3 axle monster with a 1500 pump and a 500 gallon booster tank. Did us absolutely no good with the ISO. Never could carry everything. I guess you could call it a ladder tower quint.

It was apparently overweight even before any of the usual truck stuff was even mounted inside. Wrong axles. Promptly and frequently broke front leaf springs. Seems the wrong ones were also installed at the factory. Quickly found out it was a "Demo" picked up $cheap$. Sprung and hung to ride smoothly. The ladder already had over 300 hours on it and it came to us with over 5000 road miles. Another Detroit 8V91TA. Did have the 740 automatic. Well over 60,000 lbs.

I do not think it ever went more than a couple of dozen shifts before it would have to return to or be TOWED back to the shops for yet another round of repairs and modifications. Seems there was a beef with the manufacture and dealer because it the chassis was "short speced" to be a fire show model. Lots of stuff had to be changed out or repaired before it was considered even safe to drive loaded. Very very tippy. Turning circle of the Queen Mary. Could only ...

... turn Left out the assigned Fire Station and not Right. Yep. They had to park it backwards and run it forward out the back manual roll up door, then through the back yard locked sliding fence gate. Very non popular with the men. Was only deployed a few dozen times at big incidences and then usually as a "for show" ladder pipe. Its nickname was "The Pig". Anyhow, it was quickly placed out of service and I still think it may be held as a training or reserve apparatus.

HB of CJ (old coot) Most of the time new apparatus was very cool and nifty. Not this one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HBofCJ View Post
    About the only time that I can remember a new Engine being very cool was when Engine 5 finally got their new American LaFrance Century triple combination pumper. This happened about in 1974 so you get the idea. Narrow front cab. Wide front fenders. Classic design for its era. Big Detroit, MANUAL Fuller T905M 5 speed tranny. Our master mechanic still had concerns about Allision 740 automatics. 500 gallon tank. "Twin Flow" 1500 pump. Two 150' 1.5" jump lines.

Enclosed cab. Red and white paint. The two hose men rode backwards. No A/C-- 30 mph and two armpits cooling. One of the most noisy rigs we ever had. Not so much the lack of mufflers, but just the Detroit 8V71 noise. We promptly named her "The Noise Box". Do 65mph@2350rpm Fast for the era. Big wedge air brakes. Apparatus has come quite a ways in nearly 40 years. Tailboard. Short, compact, narrow and handled very nicely. 28500 lbs full load. No complaints.

HB of CJ (old coot) Long ago and far away.
    can you post a picture ?
    ?

Forum Member

FAE means fire apparatus engineer. Thank you. Now I know. No picture available. However, try hitting some of the used for sale fire iron sites and look for pre 1976 or so American LaFrance Century Series type triple combination pumpers. LaFrance also made at the same time various ladder truck configurations in the usual lengths.

There must some still available or perhaps others on this fine forum will provide older photos. Ours were red with white cab tops. On a funny related note, most of the older stations had to have their floor front door frames heavily and expensively modified so the taller and somewhat wider new fire apparatus would physically fit.

Same thing with the overhead lights and rear positioned floor space heaters....they had to be relocated. Seems new stuff is also much heavier, but that is OK if the chassis's are designed for it. Again...long ago and far away. Things were certainly different then...and things are probably better today....I think. HB of CJ (old coot)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Oh jesus now you've gone and done it.....The Men In Black will show up at your place very shortly to neuralize your brain and then force-feed you the apple kool aid.
    donethat, islandfire03 and Chenzo like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Memphis, TN 1976 ALF

Engine 47

Fire Squad 2

Last edited by MemphisE34a; 07-01-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Nope. Not quite. I think the two excellent pictures, (also thank you) are of 1976 American LaFrance models. Old, (new then) Engine 5 was about a, (if memory serves) 1974 model. Earlier body style. A more narrow cab. Wider front fenders. Ours had white roofs. Thanks again for the neat pictures. Long ago and far away. HB of CJ (old coot)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HBofCJ View Post
    Old, (new then) Engine 5 was about a, (if memory serves) 1974 model. Earlier body style. A more narrow cab. Wider front fenders.
    900 Series. The ones shown in the pictures are Century (1000) Series.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information