Thread: KME LADDERS

SDFDTREMINES
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking KME LADDERS

WE ARE WRITING SPECS FOR A NEW QUINT AND WE WOULD LIKE ANYONE WHO HAS KME QUINT GIVE US YOUR OPINION

N2DFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Try contacting Roanoke City FD. here in VA.

I know they run a few (possibly just 1) quint, I'm not 100% sure if it's a KME or not.

However seeing as how KME's laddar plant is also located in Roanoke VA if they don't have a KME they might have some reasons to offer as to why.

No direct contact info for Fire-EMS on the web site. General contaact info can be found at http://www.ci.roanoke.va.us/contact/index.html

Also - ask KME to provide you with a list of departments (and contact info) who have purchased a truck similar to what you are looking for with-in the past X amount of years. They should have no problems accomidating such a request.

Good luck with the rig.

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic

Engine 224
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was in the KME plant on Monday and they had a very nice 75 foot quint tandem with a steerable tag axle demo unit. I am sure they would be willing to demo the unit for you.

jizumper-5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Now I know that I will be attacked by KME buffs but, stay away! I am sure they will underbid ANYONE else but remember, you get what you pay for. Best of luck!!

PS KME=Keep Mechanics Employed
    PPS Why are you only looking at one company to build your rig? To get the best deal you should probably shop around.

Ggg
    Firehouse.com Guest

A dept. in my area has a KME ladder and they have had a problem with the aluminum door hinge studs breaking off causing the compartment doors to fall off the truck. I had seen a post by someone in the N.E. with the same problem. Other than this door thing I believe it has been a good truck.

[This message has been edited by Ggg (edited 06-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ggg (edited 06-22-2001).]

MembersZone Subscriber

Our KME 95' quint is one year old this month. To date it has had 3 minor electrical problems (including not being to contract specs...we had to fix it) and 2 minor hydraulic problems that are common in any new aerial. One minor door problem and the rest is a good working (about 1000 calls a year) truck. Good luck.

Elmira FD

These are my own opinions
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

My hometown of Cranston, RI has so far replaced two of their three ladder trucks with KME's in the last year and a half. One 100' midmount, one 100' rearmount. Both normal ladder trucks, not quints. The order has been placed for a tower, but I'm not 100% positive that it was for a KME. (Logic says yes, but I don't want to have to pull my foot out of my mouth later!) I haven't heard of any significant problems, but you could ask them.

Thread Information