Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb E-One 95' Platform.......

Any Positive and Negative feedback on the E-one 95' Platform, respond to this post. Kaza Fire Equipment will be bringing the Demo to our station on Wednesday the 27th, and I am just looking for information that can be followed up on with the Reps. We are just now getting into truck company, and with this being our first major purchase of a Platform, I would like to have information to go by.

Thanks,

John Williams
    City of Clairton
    Fire Department

[This message has been edited by Scene25 (edited 06-25-2001).]

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

We don't have a 95' platform but have a 75' quint. We have had numerous electrical problems, 3 different alternators, 2 starters, are just the beginning of a long list. The best thing is to just go in another direction in your search. I have spoken directly with the e-one regional manager for this area and nothing was changed or corrected.

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

If this is the NEW E-One mid-mount 95 footer we are talking about, keep in mind that it is their first venture into the mid-mount tower field and that you are probably going to see the first unit off the line.

All I can say is that with any new "model", there are going to be burps along the way. Do you want to be a part of that burp? Make sure you have a STRONG dealer in your area. Ask them about warranty coverage; what if a re-design takes place, will your unit be part of that, etc., etc..

Also, don't forget the other mid-mount tower people, Pierce & Aerialscope to name a few.

Good Luck!!!!

Remember you get what you pay for and watch out for low bid.

------------------
    GRC063

Scene25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I appreciate your input, and I will keep all of this in mind.

As far as the truck goes, I know we will not have any problems with maintenance etc, since we deal with Kaza Fire Equipment on a regular basis.

Who knows which way we will go, but I will post positives and negatives after the demo tomorrow.

Thanks and be safe...

------------------
    John Williams
    NRFF1/EMT

ladderman
    Firehouse.com Guest

e-one sells more aerials then any one that has to say some thing

Thumbs up

Well, as I stated, I would reply after seeing the truck, and I can honestly say, the truck is amazing.

The outriggers fully extended are 13'8" which is perfect for our city.

The ladder itself is the widest I have seen in the market.

Loading and removing the ground ladders was extremely easy, and the 35' ladder can be slid out of the truck by one person.

You are unable to "Shortjack" the truck, and if you try, the ladder will not "Can't" be deployed until all 4 outriggers are pressurized.

Drives and rides like a Engine.

4 of us took turns driving in the city, and had no problems getting the truck down some of the tightest spots.

It reached the two biggest buildings we have in the city with ease.

All in All, I think we found our next purchase.

Thanks, have fun, and be safe.

[img]null[/img]
    John Williams
    NRFF1
    City of Clairton
    Fire / EMS

Just so you know, any Aerial device that you buy is going to have that "Short" jacked interlock, it is an NFPA requirement.

Cool

But, the outriggers do not have to be fully extended... correct? As long as there is pressure on the outrigger, it is considered locked and ready?

The E-One must be fully extended, meaning 13' 8"...
    John Williams
    NRFF1
    City of Clairton
    Fire / EMS

Forum Member

e-one is the best
    better then a
    pierce aerial
    kme aerial
    LTI aerial
    go to all these manufactures plants then go to e-ones plant and you will see why e-one sells more aerials then any other manufacture and that no e-one has ever had a tip over or structural failure ever lets hear the other guys say that
    cp

ladderman,
    Are you sure E-one sells more aerials than anyone else. Where are you getting your information ???. I read a report from FAMA and I don't remember E-one having sold more aerials. Also, most jacks can be short jacked, but you can't use the ladder on that side.

Talking

Once again, I am not in favor of short jacking, because of the safety issues. That is what I like about the 95' E-One Platform. You CANNOT shortjack it, no matter what you do. The outriggers are fully deployed, and if they are not, you cannot operate the ladder.

John Williams
    NRFF1
    City of Clairton
    Fire / EMS

Scene25,

I know that on our aerial (95' Sutphen)the same is true, both jacks need to be extended and pinned, otherwise it is condsidered "short jacked". I do know that ours does have an overide button to let the boom out of the bed for packing hose, but it physically won't let you go to any side that is "short jacked" no matter what. I believe that all aerials manufactured now must meet this requirement.

As far as pressure on the jacks, I don't believe that is how the system works. Our aerial is equiped with magnetic sensors that tell the "system" when the jacks are fully extended and pinned. I would be suprised if anyone is using pressure on the hydraulic system as the indicator.

The other point to consider is that it is safe for an aerial to be "short jacked" on one side, but be able to work off of the other. Think about it, the weight is on the side you are operating to, as long as that jack is set properly you should not have a problem. The only disadvantage to not being able to short jack, is if you run into a tight space. Do you always have 13'-8" to setup your tower???

Good luck with your purchase!
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

I guess I am looking at it in a different fashion, I look at the service and dependability of the apparatus, yes, granted this is an aerial, but the truck has to get it there.(I know that sounded strange but look at the time ) Like I said earlier in this thread I have a 75' e-one quint that has NUMEROUS electrical problems. It seem to be headed down the alternator road again (this will make 4 replacements). Several things that weren't right on the truck when it left ocala werent cought before it left. Here is one that should really make you think twice. our quint when it was delivered we took it to the neighboring town to show it off, on the way back to our town it started raining and water started driping on the inside. Come to find out the roof wasn't welded down, it was only tack welded and caulked and then painted (416,000.000 truck and it was finished without welding down the roof!!!)

Final thought to remember, "ALL" new trucks look good on the show room floor, it should be what will the truck be like in 2,5 or 10 years down the road. So, go visit your neighbors that have these truck and aask them would the recommend then.

Banned

Just more examples of not checking the rig thorougly before you bring it home, before you pay for it, and keeping the builder to his warranty.

I have to agree with you, I tried to make them see the light before ordering it especially when I was told by the chief then that with a full fleet of them we would get better service. My reply was we only like one having a full fleet and we don't get any service AT ALL, what make you think it's going to change !

Forum Member

Assume the other manufactures have a 18-20 foot jackspread and a 8 foot body. This equals a 13 to 14 foot jackspread in "short-jack" mode. Keep in mind that many restrictions exist in "short-jack" mode. I have not seen a manufacture that has a smaller than 18' spread on a platform in full deployed mode? As far as the concerns that fireman_387 has mentioned, I would recommend a different make and model of alternator. Last time I checked, E-ONE does not build alternators?

For those who have yet seen this E-One 95', the outriggers are different than any others in the market. They call it something like "Scissors", meaning when the outriggers are fully extended, if you look under the truck, it looks similiar to a pair of scissors, the way they criss-cross. The outriggers fully extended are 13'8", and that is fully extended, all 4 outriggers!

Take Care and Be Safe
    John Williams
    NRFF1
    City of Clairton
    Fire / EMS

Fireman 387,
    I do not normally get involved with these discussions but I feel that this needs to be addressed.
    I have inquired as to whether Glasgow's ladder has any problems with it and I am being told that it does not. If it has an electrical issue please contact me so that it can be fixed.
    What line of fire apparatus does the dealership that you own sell?

Tom Goyer
    Aerial Sales Manager
    E-One
    tgoyer@e-one.com

Our Department is currently tendering for 3 new trucks. One of which is a Aerial Platform Truck. There are alot of real good comments and suggestions. I'll keep reading everyone's post's.

Duey

Did you look into Sutphen???? I know of 2 in the area, but they are only 75 feet.

Thread Information