Default Purchase of new pumper

We have recieved permission to purchase a new pumper in our town. We have a limited budget about 240,000.00 can. I have looked at some American Lafrence, Superior, and Fort Garry. So far I think that Superior will be the way to go but I do not know the other ones to well. We are looking for a 1250 gpm Fully enclosed, on board foam, etc. If any has any ideas for Ilook forward to read about it. I'm the Deputy Fire Chief in the town of Vegreville Ab Canada.

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

I dont know what the exchange rate is for Canadian/American dollars, but 240k is a lot of duckets in any language or country. I would spec something that has what you need with room to grow. Keep in mind that this piece will be with you for about ten years or more.
    Find a way to come in under budget so you can be assured the next time you ask for money you will get it. It is always easier to tell the board how much you saved than how more you need. Consider what type of responses you run and plan accordingly. What is the future mission and goal of your department with this new piece? How will you be able to best serve the community with the apparatus after delivery? What types of areas are you running it to? Think about cramp angle. How many seats do you want it to have. What type of rescue gear will be on it, do you want to carry extrication equipment on this piece or not. Tank size is another thing to think about. 500 gallons does not last long in a working fire @ 200gpm. Can you use on spots on the streets in Canada or will the snow be too deep. Engine size and transmission size. They are big money factors. Did I say equipment? My engine at work has just about anything you can emagine on it. People ask why do you carry so much useless stuff. My answer is if need it and dont have it then what do I do. If I have it and use it it must not be to useless.
    Good luck.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: pwc606 ]

Forum Member

Marklu:
    My Department runs an 1998 Superior Enclosed. 4 man SCBA crew cab, Swing down ladder rack. 1250 usgpm mid ship, 300 usgpm portapump tied in to the tank for pump and roll, 60 usg integral class A system external class B/Training port. 1350 usg water tank, 5000 watt genset and telelights, 6 external outlets. Aux air tank and outlets at each panel for air tools.

Some changes I would make. Hydralic ladder rack and Checker hose bed covers.

I would be happy to show you around if your in the area. Just contact Phoenix (the Dealer) and they will get a hold of me.

Andy
    Blackfalds Fire Rescue
    Blackfalds AB

Last I checked the exchange rate is about $0.70 CD to $1.00 US which leaves about $168,000 US for a budget. Not a ton of money for a custom unit, especially on a custom chassis (usually over $100,000 US just for the chassis).

I would go with a commercial chassis - several manufacturers make a 4-door, enclosed top-mount on a commercial chassis (I think I've seen them on Kenworths and Peterbuilts, but you can probably get an International or Freightliner) including Superior. This will allow you to put some money into the rest of the truck.

I've seen one truck like that (I think in was Honeoye Falls, NY - near Rochester) that had the speed lays built through the cab, behind the rear doors, under the outboard seats and the pump controls.

I'll keep my eyes open on the web for some more good ideas, but for now, good luck on the new truck.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Carpandean ]

OK, it wasn't exactly how I remember it, but here's that truck:
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~hffd/565.htm

The speed lays are in front of the doors and it was a seperate module for the rear crew area and pump controls. I think this is how most of the manufacturers do it.

Thread Information