Forum Member

Default Hydraulic ladder racks on Pierce Contenders?

I was just wondering if Pierce Contenders can handle hydraulic ladder racks. Youngstown is looking into both the Saber and Contender to replace two trucks in the fleet. One need is hydraulic ladder racks, but I didn't think that the Contender could be equipped with them. Can they be?

to my knowledge yes but I could be wrong I thought that I saw a department that had ordered one. I would like to take this time to do a little pull for the pierce saber. We have a 1994 (The first one ordered with a raised roof and diamond plate flooring). The truck has been used alot and has fought some big fires for us. Since 1994 the truck has has no down time with the exception of when we first got the vehicle in pierce has a brake line on backward near the front wheel and when we turned it it punctured a small hole in it but pierce corrected it and since then we have had no problems. We do have the high sides on both sides and a hydraulic ladder rack wich is our second we also have a 1988 pierce dash with one and have had no problems with them. You are welcome to come and visit and see ours if you wish we are just outside of morgantown wv about 1 1/2 hours south of pittsburgh,pa. exit 152 I79. or you can visit our web page. I cant remember the http but go under yahoo and put in westover fire dept and it should be the second or third one down the page was made by one of our members by the name of stephen and look under the picture of engine #233.

Hope this helps

Forum Member

As I am writing this I have a comtender brochure in front of me, there is no mention of a ladder rack anywhere, but that doesn't mean they will not do a custom application. You make mention of having two other racks. Are they of the "center post" design or the front & rear arm design?

Forum Member

Ggg, I also looked at the Contender brochure. I was strictly asking for my own knowledge. The department isn't relying on me to answer this question. I am sure they asked the manuf. rep. about it, but I didn't know and was curious. As to your question, I never mentioned that, so I can't answer it. The 2 Pierce Sabers the department has now have front and rear arms, I believe.

Forum Member

Hey you are right! I directed the question to the wrong person, sorry about the confusion.Bradley if you read this please read my last post.Also let me know how your dept. likes them.

we have the center posts and the two end posts on ours with the manual unlocking devices on the end posts. We are very happy with both vehicles the only thing we dont like is that on the 1988 pierce dash we have the rack is slow, but on the 1994 pierce saber it is alot faster and pierce has even done away with the manula locks and put and airlock type system on it to speed the process up more. We have had no problems with either rack on the trucks. Our third apparatus is a 1998 smeal/freightliner we have a ladder rack on it that is just a center post but it is really a slow rack to deploy. Hope this helps

We have a 2001 Saber that was put into service in April with a ladder rack. We love the thing. The rig is 4X4, so it sits higher than the usual sabers (I think about 10'1") We decided towards the end to go with the rack. We had 1 probelm with it. the back was a split second out of time with the front accuator and the thing would freeze up about a quarter way down. Didn't happen all the time. Sent it to the Pierce dealer and had the truck back within 4 days. As for safety locks, there is the switch, a manual lock on the front end, and a door open lockout for the compt doors
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Thread Information