Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default if you were a fire apparatus engineer what would you design

if you were a fire apparatus engineer what would you design?
    what kind of new what type of trucks?
    what kind of ideas do you have?
    cp

Too many electrical problems on newer apparatus. Sealed electrical connections and or components that at least have a 10 - 15 year guarantee. Look inside your pump compartment and see how many connections or wide open for corrosion. Of course we could do it ourselves but why should we, we just paid hundreds of thousands of $$$ for something that was designed and built to help save lives and property!!

I think the combination apparatus is one of the trends that will continue into the future. Attack trucks and smaller/lighter vehicles and making a comeback. EMS and QRS are now a way of life. Consolidation is a touchy subject but I feel is a good one. It will also extend the life span of most smaller departments.
    I tell everyone to buy a rig not only for your needs now but for your expected needs 10 years down the road. So many make this mistake. Engine-Tankers are a hot item among the more rural departments. Quints are becoming poplar as well.
    An ideal rig is one that is not only user friendly but is designed to operate with minimal manpower. You can't be affraid to break away from the standards.
    Why not a 6" intake on all four sides of a pumper when using LDH. All 4 will be gated and have air bleeders. Dual primers on the pump is a must. Twice as quick and enables you to use more length with hard sleeves. Air operated tank to pump line that will deliver 1000gpm from the tank. This will also have a green open position indicator light on the pump panel.
    CAFS is nice for someone with minimal water supply but for my unit I want a Class A & B injection system. Class A will have capability of 1000gpm at 1% or 2000gpm at .5%Class B capability of 1000gpm at 3%. This will handle any major incident not requiring pump and roll or big foam where a crash unit is needed. You can't pump water without a electronic pump/throttle controller but it must also interface with the relief valve. Electric valve controls on all valves 3" and larger. Flow meter/pressure gauges on all discharges. Top mounted panels are nice but only on certian types and designs of apparatus. All attack lines to be preconnected and crosslays must be low enough to be pulled while standing on the ground. Two attack lines in the front bumper. OK that's enough for now. BE SAFE> FGN

Thread Information