Baltimore County, Pikesville / Halethrope Maryland Areas USA

Default Roll Up Doors / Service & Painted

Just wondering what anyones thoughts were about roll up doors. How well have the painted doors held up,scratches etc.Have you ever heard of a POK Roll-up door sys.?? What do you think about Dover doors, Robinson roll ups I know about already.Most of our pumpers see about a thousand runs a year so how do you think they will hold up vs. the box type compt.doors. Are there any major City Depts. using roll ups on their pumpers???. THANKS for everyones help as always....Safe Firefighting........JB
    JB

We've used roll ups since 1976.

All brushed aluminum, so no real info on painted doors. However, we do have scotchlite on all the newer doors, depending on where it ends up in the "roll" it does tend to get scratched. Not bad, but you do notice up close.

Maybe not a 1000 runs a year, but we've been opening doors 200 or more times a year at emergencies for 25 years.

Currently run both Dover and Robinson...I can't tell a performance difference between them. Do, however, get a "bar" handle to open -- the push buttons are a pain in the but with a gloved hand!

They do require you properly store equipment -- if not, you do risk having a door jammed shut that takes a talent with a fist to unjam. However, since the alternative is having the sledge hammer fall on your foot, the SCBA bottle roll out and hit the ground, etc...I'd still take roll ups and properly strap/stow equipment
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Painting of roll-up doors has come a long way. 10 - 12 years ago, if you wanted a painted roll-up door, it would go to your bidder's paint shop & they would spray the door. Now days, most of your door manufacturers "Powder Coat" their doors. This is a process where the paint/coating is "baked" onto the door. It holds up really well. However, due to the design of most doors, you will eventually get hair-line scratches in the finish. This is due to the road dirt and salt spray being pushed into the finish by the rubber moisture barrier at the top of the door. My department recently took delivery of a new pumper with all painted roll-up doors, (our 1st one with all roll-ups & also painted). This unit will do about 1,800 runs a year. We'll see.
    The FDNY has all Seagrave pumpers with un-painted roll-up doors on their highsides only, (Robinson). I believe that they have had good success. Our new pumper has Dover doors and so far, so good. I have not heard of POK. Is this the same company that makes nozzles???? My recommendation would be to stay with Robinson or Dover. As for painting, it's your call.
    Also, make sure you have your heavy equipment mounted and always have your roll-out trays fully stowed & locked. We had to literally take a roll-up door apart to get into out Hurst compartment due to the tray not being fully retracted due to a piece of equipment stuck behind it & someone jambed the roll-up door shut. The tray exerted so much force against the roll-up, that we could not open it!!!!

Just my .02 worth. Be Safe & buy smart

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: GRC063 ]
    GRC063

Roll-ups are absolutely the way to go.

We have both Robinson and Dover. We have one door on the back of our pumper. We installed all roll ups in the interior of our heavy rescue. They ALL work great.

The original doors had some paint problems with chipping, etc. But as GRC063 stated, the new powder coating process has almost eliminated those problems.

Make sure that ALL equipment is mounted and secured. If something isn't, eventually something will lodge against the door and you'll be sorry. Everything should be mounted anyhow.

Some other pros of Rollups are the ease of deploying/ rewinding electric lines, hydraulic hoses, etc. No doors to get caught on.

You don't have doors open while parked in traffic that will eventually get hit by other vehicles

And, you reduce the chance of a compartment door coming open while leaving/ backing into the station. Average cost to repair the vehicle starts at $1200, not to mention damage to the building and those consequences.

I have seen the end result of a wheel well, flip-up compartment door striking the building. $3000 damage to vehicle, $40,000 damage to front of the building. BUT the most scary part was it brought the concrete door lintel and parts of the cinder block wall down just behind the pumper.
    These views/ opinions are my own and not those of my employer/ department.

Check out AMDOR. They are a Canadian Company that manufactures in my opinion the best roll-up door currently on the market. ROM and AS American are both ok too but I still feel the Amdor is just a bit better. The true test is to take a closed door on a larger compartment (48" wide or wider) and push in on the center of the door and see how much it flexes. Also take note to the construction of the slats/shutters and how they hook together and hinge. Hope these tips will help. As for painting I have come to understand it can get rather expensive. It does look nice but all apparatus that I have ridden on or sold with roll-up door have all gotten unpainted. If you plan to use a colorful scotchlite striping pattern on them they look just as good. Take care and be safe. FGN

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: FireGuyNeil ]

Thread Information