Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spartan Chassis

Default Spartan Chassis

I would like to everyones opinions on the Spartan Chassis. How's everyone like em, what problems anyone has had, any concerns on Warranties and Service. Anything that anyone can tell us would be apprieciated.

We are currently in the Market for a new pumper and one bidder has submitted a bid with a Spartan Chassis.

Thank you,
    Duey

Hello there.In reply to your question,we have had a Sparton Gladiator for 6 years now and it is great.It was our first Custom chassis so i can't compare to the others but the room in the cab and "driveability" is one of the better units i have driven.Also driven macks and peterbuilts.Lots of room for the driver and our package has the Series 60 425hp w/HD4060PR transmission.no problem with the terrain in our area.We are in the middle of specing another Sparton for our rescue truck. .In terms of servicing,we use Profire for Servicing and local equipment repair shops can handle the engine and transmission.If you need more info you can contact me gchow@city.colwood.bc.ca

Just so you cover all the bases, you might want to visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website and search their "Recall" database for the Spartan Gladiator chassis. It will probably surprise a lot of people.

WFD, I did look at the data base. What did you see that I did not. Only 1 recall for Sparton? What was the surprise?
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

We have 2, an 86 and a 98. Both have been great trucks, very few problems and all have been handled well as far as service goes. When we bought our last truck we looked at several other chassis manufacturers and no one else compared. They do cost a little more but we think it's worth it.

ENG6511...There are 8 recalls. If you just specify "Spartan" and "Gladiator" and not the year, they should come up.
    Just my views of things.
    Stay Safe!
    j6200

WFD thanks for the tip. Check this out, go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/mmy.cfm

Of the 3 new Trucks our Department is going to be purchasing, 1 of em is a custom pumper. One bidder has submitted a bid which includes a Spartan Advantage Chassis.

Thanks
    Duey

MembersZone Subscriber

Spartan does make a nice chassis. Marion Body Works does a great job with the cab structure & sheetmetal. There seems to be a good amount of space for the officer. Just make sure that you have a good dealer network behind that vehicle. I have heard of instances where there was a problem and the Fire Company was in the middle of a tug-of-war between the body builder and the chassis builder, (Spartan, HME, ALF etc.)This is especially true with electrical problems, (if any).

Just my .02 worth.

Be safe & buy smart!!!
    GRC063

Forum Member

We have a Gladiator, and to date have had no troubles. Ours is a long four door 20" raised roof. 60 series 500 hp engine. I think the only draw back to their chassis is the cramp on the front axle not being as tight as others. That said our unit with a 205" wheel base on a tandem turns very well and drives great.

Duey...the department that I am with just went through spec'ing a new aerial. We looked at the Spartan, but went with a Pierce in the end. E-mail me at the following address and I can give you some concerns regarding Spartan's service/warranty. Rookie1_23@yahoo.com

Take care

Duey,
    We have 2 Spartans, a 1987 Gladiator pumper which has had only minor problems always taken care of by Spartan. We just purchased a 2000 Spartan Metrostar/Hackney heavy rescue, MFD with 10" raised roof. Absolutely a great truck, 6 man cab, excellent entry and exit from cab, in full turnouts and SCBA, for everyone (back E & E is much better than ALF demos we looked at)drives well, handles supurb. One minor problem with noise in front wheel, taken care of by dealer who, because Factory was closed for vacation, purchased needed repair parts elsewhere to put unit back in service. Regarding front cramp angle, as you get higher in GVAR of front axle, tires get bigger and cramp angle gets smaller so turning radius suffers. Solution; make sure you get axle ratings big enough to safely handle the loaded weight, but don't buy bigger axles than you really need or you will loose turning radius. (if the front of the truck is going to weigh 14,500 lb. you don't need a 24,000 lb. axle, something in the line of 18,000 is fine). Spartan cab interiors are nicely laid out and if you get the tilt cab with the enclosed dog house they are extremely quiet. We have to open the window to hear if the siren is working.(not really, but almost)
    We are getting ready to spec a new pumper and we are certainly considering another Spatan Chassis.

Build it safe!

John
    Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Thread Information