Default Thibault fire trucks

Has anyone here ever operated a Thibault or Nova Quintech fire apparatus ? What do you think of these trucks ?
    mattqc

A volunteer company which I used to belong to operated a Thibault 100' rearmount on a CF Mack Chassis. Never had any problems with the Chassis and the body left a lot to be desired; but the stick, the hydraulics, the outriggers......CRAP! I have also heard from many guys that operated Thibault rigs, and they are all of the same opinion that I am- Thibault can't build a truck to save their lives!!! I heard a rumor that they went out of business.....Wonder why???
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

the district i used to live in had many thibault fire apparatus and never anything except normal problems, i mean that all manufacturers do have problems e-one pierce etc, nova quintech seems pretty good, I've seen them in toronto a few times and other south ontario cities, i believe their based in the u.s.

We operated a 1976 Thibault 100' aerial on a Mack CF from 90 to 01. No unusual problem you wouldn't expect with 20+ years of service. The truck as a whole between the aerial, hydraulics, pump, and engine was starting to cost $3k to $5k a year in maintenance, again probably not bad for 25 years of use. Town could afford a new ladder, so we went that route.

Thibault after several reincarnations became Nova Quintech. Nova Quintech's patents, designs, and equipment (?) was bought out by Pierce which still manufactures the Sky-arm based on their design.

There was also a cousin company called Pierre(?) Thibault which was formed by a relative who left Thibault, but had no connection to the Thibault/Nova/Pierce lineage. Generally have heard good things about Thibault and not so much good things about Pierre Thibault.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Dalmation90 is right. Thibualt was based out of Pierreville, Quebec. Had a chance to drive around the old place a number of years ago. They were the largest manufacture of fire appratus in Canada with large exports to the US.

The had their own foundary on site for the pumps, valves, hydrants, etc. As a mater of fact they had there own thread (Thibault thread) on the Hydrants. and on the pump steamer ports. Many towns and areas still have Thibault Hydrants. And to this day there are still a lot of Thibaults still out there. Parts are getting hard to find and I only know of one or two places to get any sort of parts. I believe they also operated via family under the name Pierreville and Thibault Trac, also. Thibault closed it doors at least 10 years ago. Internal issues, They then reincarnated as, if I remember this correctly, Nova Technologies. Which included Nova Quintech, and Nova Bus. However Nova Quintech was only producing the aerial device, and the odd completed unit.

Back about 5 or 6 years ago, Nova was purchased by Bombardier, (best know for the SKI-DOO, SEA-DOO and Bombardier Aerospace)Rumors went through the industry that Bombardier was getting back into the fire truck business. Next thing you know Nova Quintech is sold off for it patents and technology. Nova Bus was what they were after.

And yes Pierce bought the Quintech technology.

There are many family members still working under the family name. CET fire pumps. Pierre Thibualt, and John Thibault to name a few. If I remember correctly John Thibault has or had the Canadian distribution for Pierce.

If you ever get a chance to tour Southern Quebec. Pierreville, St. Francis du Lac area it is rich in Fire Truck Dealers, Rebuilders, Manufacturing and Canadian Fire Truck History.

Some of the other missing names of manufactures from the North that impatcted the US market or US expansions to Canada, we may all recongnize. CANAM Fire Apparatus (discontinued after marketing agreemnents with Pierce). Canadian LaFrance (the manufacturing ID plates are worth a fortune),King/Seagrave and Amertek.

Thread Information