Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cafs systems

Default cafs systems

i am a member of a rural fire dept. in western pa. we are in the process of spec. out a new engine.as of now we have it set up with a cafs system.i would appriciate any and all feedback(good and bad) from depts. that have been using a cafs system on a regular basis.also any info. on the cost recovery of replacing the foam used on calls,and if insurance companies of home owners are paying to replace it.

Forum Member

We have a CAFS pumper tanker , and so far it has worked out well. The cafs does a nic job in supression as well as protection. CAFS makes the limited amount of water more efective. AS far as the cost of the foam we buy all our class A direct from the state DNR off thier bid so the cost is resonable compared to what it saves both in time, effort and water damage.

Foam is cheap I think we pay seven bucks a gallon for concentrate.

I am a member of a rural department and the CAFS system has worked very well for use. We recently had a barn fire which was located about 20-30 feet away from the barn. When we arrived the barn was fully engulfed, but using the CAFS we saved the house with very little to no damage.

Check out :www.firechief.com The article is bubbles beats water. It has lots of info on cafs and the study L.A. County did. As for cost recovery I am not sure, but billing the insurance company might be a way to go.

Thread Information