Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Golden City Rural Vol. fire dept, Arkansas

Default which would you choose

I have a question for everyone. Our sister (automatic aid)dept. Just got another rig and they are not sure what to do with the old one. some back gound. Both our areas are very rural, mostly dirt road, one fire hydrant and 6 dry hydrants for about 40 sq. miles. Used water shuttle for all fires.
    The "old rig" is a 1980 International DT 466 automatic chassis, 2wd. The two choices they are considering are 1) give the unit to another dept. or 2) keep it and replace their 2 1/2 6x6 1500 tanker chassis thats is under powerd, 5 speed, and very slow, but all wheel drive. (we both have lots of hills.)
    If they choose option 1) they gain or loose nothing. Option 2) They gain a faster, more powerful auto chassis, but loose the all wheel drive capablity.
    Our roads do get muddy in the wet season, but speed and automatic trans well help supply more water faster.
    Which do you feel is there best option?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why can't they keep them all? If they have enough people to operate it, one more truck in the shuttle pattern couldn't hurt.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

All wheel drive is cool. If they decide to sell the 6x6 then I would consider converting the other to 4x4 mainly because the fires still burn if the roads are muddy or dry. We love all wheel drive for this very reason. All in All they will just have to way the options and choose the one that works best. Personnaly I would keep both trucks just to be safe.

Hope the info helps

D308

more information: There dept. is very small and poor, only $3,700 annual budget. The "new" pumper, a '76 model, use all there funds. And they don't have room in the station with out adding another bay wich they can't afford. Oh and they can't sell the old truck because it's on loan from the Forestry Dept. as military surplus.
    Thanks for the help so far.

That is difficult. If they sell the truck they own they get more cash and still have the 6x6 draw back they still only own one truck. If they turn back the 6x6 then they will own both trucks but loose the all wheel drive. That is a hard choice and I wish them Good luck.

D308

It seems to me that the best utilization of available resources would be to sell the IHC and keep the Forestry 6x6, as the 6x6 can't be sold (must be turned back to Forestry, I would assume) to create cash that can be used for other purposes.

With a $3700 budget (I feel their pain), anything they could get for the IHC would be significant.
    Asst. Chief Bill

wow,
    $3700 for 40sq miles?! one hydrant? on long island (ny), we have so many hydrants the engine companies dont know what to do with them all. how many members in your dept?

I would get rid of old military equipment any chance that I had. They are hard to get parts to maintain and when found the parts are expensive.

we only have 8 firefighters (2 of which are women great firefighters and both over 50 yrs old) thats why we have the automatic aid with the other dept. But they only have 10 firefighter. It can be hard to fight fires when only 4-6 firefighters show. (rest at work)several take off from work if they have to. Most of the dept in my county run mutal aids on all calls (dispatch not set up for automatic aid calls) just to get enough personal and equipment. thanks for all your advise i'll pass it on to the other dept.

I would get rid of old military equipment any chance that I had. They are hard

We've found that Memphis Equipment has anything you need for military trucks, and so far, the prices seem reasonable. We haven't had to do any major mechanical work, just a brake job on one truck, filters, etc.
    Asst. Chief Bill

Thread Information