Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AERIAL FAILURES

Forum Member

Default AERIAL FAILURES

I AM LOOKING FOR INFO AND PICS OF AERIAL TIP OVERS,COLLAPSE INCIDENTS AND ANY OTHER AERIAL FAILURES
    THANKS
    cp

Here's an interesting fact. Up here in Quebec City the fire departement operated a 1968 international Thibault mid-mount 75 foot quint (they operate with the full quint system). One morning as the city workers and the firemen were doing a routine test, the whole aerial ladder collapsed onto the station's roof. I believe the bolts holding the ladder on the turntable failed. Luckily nobody was injured, but it was quite a sight, since they had to use a crane to remove the aerial from the station's roof.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: mattqc ]
    mattqc

Forum Member

Years ago while serving in a small Massachusetts town,we had a video called why ladders fail. I dont recall who put it out, but it covered quite a bit and really made you think. I'll see if I can get in touch with someone from there and re post for you.

Soory to step into enemy territory on an opposition magazine and web site, but FIRERescue mag did an interesting article in the May 1997 issue (Page 21) about failures or inccorect operation that led to failure...
    Luke

I believe the viseo that M1NFD is referring to is called "Aerial Error". Good Luck!

I don't beleive you will find any info on this subject on the E-ONE web page

i don't have any pictures, but, a station in the agency I volunteer for had a 50' ladder fail. It didn't collapse (thank goodness). They were flowing 750 gpm at the tip and had a 280+ fire fighter at the tip at the same time. I'll see if I can get you more info.

Stay safe.
    Almost forgot, the crew heard a loud popping noise. The noise was later determined to one of the welds popping.

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: firebear235 ]
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

Thread Information