Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default West Coast Tower Ladders

Does Los Angeles City/County even know what a tower ladder is and its benefits? Or do they just use stirctly tillers straight sticks?

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: TacSupport1 ]

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

LA county has some towers. The Station in Industrial City that they used for Emergency has a LTI in it. LA City is using tillers with some quints being tested as a substitute in the Light Force IE, one engine one truck. Same amount of bodies. I not sure I like it as you give up a lot on a truck and it just doesn't make for a really good engine. LA City had at one time two Crowns with Snorkel Booms on them. They were not staffed but housed with other companies who would run them on calls. They laid one over and killed a guy and were taken out of service. It was referred to as the Platform above Ground Concept. They were not used as traditional truck companies and did not carry a full ticket of truck tools more like a squad co. I imagine that if the concept had been successful you would have seen a lot more put into service. I like towers. East Coast cities they work real well. Even Chicago who invented them does not use Snorkels as truck companies but as elevated Master Stream platforms assigned to the Squads. Just a matter of what you prefer and what works for you.

hi, a little bit of info here, la county used to run several platforms in past years. however now they are buying tillered quints with 75 foot ladders on them , if you have seen trafic in la , it is easier to move a tiller around than a platform in rush hour traffic. as for la city , i think they are just dedicated to buying tillers

blackb16
    Firehouse.com Guest

It doesn't appear LA city or county is burning down s maybe they don't have any need for a tower ladder, however, the cities that use them seem to have more fires, maybe if they switched to tillers their fire activity would drop.

Thread Information