Default Rollup Compartment Doors?

My department is in the process of specing a new quint, what are some of the pros and cons of rollup compartment doors. We have never had a truck with roll up doors what have you guys experienced?

roll up doors are for soda trucks....

I prefer normal doors because they NEVER jam unlike roll up doors that jam as soon as something gets pressed up against them... plus, if something starts to fall out of a normal door you can catch it before it falls, doesn't happen with roll ups, the item just falls...
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Forum Member

Roll up doors only jam if you buy poorly designed doors. We are a predominately "standard" door department, however we just ordered two new engines with rescue style bodies and they have roll ups. Why? Because its easier to access equipment with the rollup doors. Your slide out trays are now accessable from 3 sides.

We spend alot of time debating this issue and investigating manufacturers. We decided to go with the ROM doors because of their design. The backs of the rollup slats are "beveled" to eliminate the possibility of equipment being jammed. Also, they are "mechanically" joined together, not held together with rubber.

You need to decide what is best for your department and what type of truck you are specing.

You do lose some compartment opening at the top depending on the apparatus manufacturer, but you do gain nearly full width opening of your compartments.

As far as equipment "falling" out as you open the door, if you design the apparatus properly and have all equipment properly mounted, this won't be an issue.

Good Luck with your spec. process, I know its not easy.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

We like them a lot. As far as equipt. jamming the door, this happened on the first truck due to our compartments being disorganized after we put things into holders,racks,or whatever it hasn't happened again.

Forum Member

Make sure they're Dover doors, and don't have them painted, unfinished aluminum won't scratch like painted ones can do...
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

Conventional doors don't jam like roll ups, BUT;

1. They jam when the door linkage comes apart
    2. They're torn off when left open or
    come open and strike an object.
    3. They are alsways in the way when deploying
    electric, hydraulic lines, etc.
    4. They are damaged when opened/ left open at
    the scene and passing vehicle hits them.

And so on.

Roll ups have come a long way since they were introduced to the emergency services, the new doors are almost maintenance free and are the way to go.

Dover makes about the top of the line. We've had various roll ups for about 6 years and have NEVER had one jam yet, and our units see responses on snow covered, cindered roads, dirt and muddy roads.
    These views/ opinions are my own and not those of my employer/ department.

Forum Member

Glad to hear that the roll up door have improved and people are having good experience with them. Does anyone know the approximate cost of good roll up doors compared with swing out doors? I think that the roll up doors would be much friendlier to the back when removing and storing heavy equipment such as portable pumps, generators, etc.
    Just one man's view from the flames.

There have been concerns in our area about rollup doors due to the dirt roads in the summer and salt use in the winter. The local Depts here chose Robinson doors and have been very happy. We put 1 on the back of our new pumper and are curious to see how it holds up for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

We went through the same debate between roll-ups and conventional. We went with the roll-ups and glad we did. There's a lot of good comments that you already got. Good planning of compartment space and layout is key.
    We did some comparison with Robinson and Dover and decided Dover to be the better door. Someone else send don't paint them, it's true, just leave the brushed aluminum. If you take care of the apparatus, you won't have a problem with dirt and grime. You get back what you put into it. If you don't take care of things, you won't have them long.
    Robert Repasky, Chief

Forum Member

Roll up doors are the way to go. I have friends that have been using them for years, and they are the only thing you see when you travel to Europe. I have friends that are firefighters in Germany and asked them about roll ups and they caqnt understand why we DONT use them here in America

Thread Information