Forum Member

Default Air Conditioning

It looks as though I may be able to spec air conditioning on our next two engines. We use custom chassis for our 2000gpm engines with 50-foot Tele-Squrts. What has your experience been with air conditioning on custom fire apparatus chassis? What do I need to watch out for? Any information or advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: fyreline ]

Fyreline,
    get all of and the biggest air conditioner units that you can get. in a custom unit you may have to get separate unit for front and rear. they are great for rehab. Larry

What ever you do make sure the condensor's dont get put under the vehicle. They will get packed with mud and road grime in no time,requiring a thorough cleaning on a regular basis. In Fl. we only have to worry about the street grime and mud but if you are in snow then I don't know what the road salts would do. In addition make sure that the vents are placed so that they will blow directly onto the people as they are seated. It is easier to redirect the vent away from you when you don't need it than to sit there and wish it would when your really needing it. Otherwise you have to wait for the entire interior to cool down before you start feeling it, and your usually not in the truck that long. You can also require in the spec's that the unit must cool to a certain temp within a specified amount of time based on your areas average + 10 degree summer time temp and humidity. In doing this you will get the proper size BTU and not the cheapest unit just so your council or board can say they got you AC whats your B**CH.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Billy Mott ]

Forum Member

Thanks Bill . . . I will keep your tips in mind. Whereabouts are you in Tampa Bay? (I have a place in Seminole for when it's TOO cold up here!) Also, does anyone have a good handle on how much A/C really adds to the cost of the vehicle? And is one brand any better or worse than the others?
    "SYRACUSE - An ISO Class One Fire Department"

Thread Information