Forum Member

Default Brush Truck Rear Axle

Our dept is replacing it 30 year old brush truck. We currently use a single rear wheel. We are debating single or dual rear wheel. We realize you get a higher gvw and higher payload with drw. Question ? Anyone have problems with drw off the road getting stuck or rocks wedged between rear wheels?

Forum Member

G, I have been an avid "off-roader" for the last 20 or so yrs. and have owned several "dualies" and have tried to go off-roading with them, if its mud or rocks you will encounter the duals will hamper the performance. Your concrns of rocks is exactly what I experienced, also the space bteween the tires will load up with mud and render the tires almost useless. I found it best to remove the duals and put a pair of VERY wide singles on the rear axle,this will also require you to "trim" the inner fender so it will not rub on the wide tires. Check out some of the "agricultural" tires they have fairly high weight ratings, but aslo look at their speed rating.

We have run a brush truck for years with the dual rear wheels. The truck will run around with units with singles just fine. We run in thick mud,rocks,sugar sand,snow,ect.. The unit has 300 gallons of water,rescue tools, and fire equipment. We are replacing the truck sometime in the next 6 months(it's a '77 model) with a New F550 with the duals and going with posi-trac rear end as well. If you are used to the truck and the terrain the duals will be no problem at all, at least we have not found them to be.

Hope the info helps

D308

MembersZone Subscriber

FYI, there is a F550 with single rears.
    It's a patented design made by Firematic, although it is rather pricy.

Thread Information