Default Whats in your Rescue?

Hi all.
    We're in the process of building a new rescue truck. We want to make sure that we're equipping it to what we need it to do. I'll list quickly what we currently carry, and ask if there is anything that you feel would help us do our job a little better.
    -full BLS equipment
    -Hurst tool, spreaders, cutters, rams
    -airbags
    -power saws, K-12 and chainsaw
    -chains for jaws, come-alongs
    -extinguishers
    -Res-Q-Jacks
    -step cribbing, cribbing
    -small generator, tripod light, circle-d's
    -drysuits for water rescue, our ice sled is on a different truck, rope reels for same
    -throw ring & throw rope for water rescue
    -air tools, with 2 SCBA cylinders for air
    -2 sawz-alls (corded)
    -hand tools (this is where I need your help)
    -street broom
    -barn shovel
    -halligan bar
    -pickhead axe
    -bolt cutters
    -tool box with asst. tools
    -WHAT ELSE DO YOU RECOMMEND?

I appreciate any help you all can give us, thanks.
    Russ...

If you are building this vehicle from scratch then make sure that the compartment/bay floors will handle the constant fully loaded weight, not to mention the additional stress put on them while in a bouncing motion going down your worst roads. Just because the GVW says one thing they don't look at the amount of wieght that will be in one compartment compared to the next one or on which side. It's only a funny sight to see things falling thru the floor of someone else's truck but not Yours. Also look into the work time you can get out of each SCBA bottle when working your air tools and bags, you might be able to get an additional decient small air compressor built into the trucks system that provides the air for the braking system. I don't know what your plans are for a vehicle or your funding but you will see that no matter how many of you or how long you study the problem tomorrow there will be a new tool that comes along that you cant live without, so try to allow a little extra room for later, even if you have to stuff it with blankets for now. Good luck.

Carry a small porta-power setup as a backup for the hurst tools (porta power is also useful for other things too)
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

I`m not sure how big of a rescue your going for, but I`d recomend a good sized generator. It comes in handy, especially when running fans. The other day we needed to ventilate a pretty large elderly apartment building, and fast to get the residents back inside from the heat. With no accesible plugs, we were able to run 3 fans off that generator(maybe more if needed), it would have taken a lot more effort, and time w/out it. Also, some basic hazmat, extra bottles, and a saw. If your getting a small truck, you won`t be able to fit a lot of stuff, but if your going for a big walk in, you`ll have plenty of room.

We're going to be building a 7 door rollup rescue body on a short custom cab. Plenty large enough to accomodate what we're going to be putting in it. We'll be piping air to a reel to run air tools, and we'll be putting in a minumum 25k generator, so neither of those are concerns either right now. Thanks for your replys, keep 'em coming.

Russ...

Take a look at ourRESCUE TRUCK

Be sure to take the
    Interactive Tour

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: RSU 49 ]
    The opinions and views expressed herin are not necesasarily the views and opinions of this department.

www.geocities.com/rsu49

Glad to see this on here, cause we were just talking about this the other day at work. One thing missing from your list is a variety of webbing staps (load hugging straps, ratchet straps, etc.). These come in quite handy for vehicle stabilization purposes. Also a variety of webbing slings and chains for use with a winch. One of the nice recent trends in rescue trucks is having one fixed winch on the front and back as well as a reese hitch receiver winch that can be used on either side of the truck. You can get eye hooks to fit the hitch receivers as well to provide tie offs on the side of the vehicle. Also like floor jacks and high lift jacks. A complement of quality air tools will take you a long way. Impact wrenchs, air ratchets and air chisels should be required equipment. Spend the money and get cordless sawzalls and your life will be easier. Remove them from the box and strap extra blades to the saws. Should also have a good rope complement to work with. A little giant folding ladder will help out with working on larger vehicles. As for hand tools, crow bars, full sets of ratchets, screwdrivers and wrenches, center punches and valve stem tools, sledgehammer and utility knives. Last but not least, get the Hurst Xtractor cutter. That is the best Hurst System cutter made and you will not find anything that it won't cut. It will definetly make your job easier on the incident scene.
    Morgan Boyd
    Montgomery Cnty MD, DFRS
    South Greensburg PA VFD

We carry a Home Depot Outlet in ours....except for that Tony Stewart creep.
    FTM - PTB

Russ,
    My department basically has the same equipment that you do.

It also depends upon what your duties are and if you are light, medium, or heavy rescue.

I saw someone mention a generator. They are your best friend. We one portable on each apparatus and one built into the apparatus.

Don't remember if I saw it, but w rabbit tool is great to pop doors on homes in the event you need to gain access.

A gas meter is another good tool. Should use at just about every call.

We have a wench in the front of two of our apparatus and a a frame that attaches to the main unit to go along with it.

Besides 45 minute MSA SCBA and 10 minute MSA emergency bottle (confined space) we can run air off of our cascade system. We have a line for air tools (actually Chassis air) and a line for breathing (off cascade).

If you are going to be doing confined space rescue, you should have at minimum an air blower, tripod, confined space helmets, harnesses, etc.

Check out our apparatus if you would like at:
    Main Page

Hope this info helps you.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: NJResQ ]

One item to consider is a plasma cutter. Ours requires 240 volts AC and a compressed air supply to operate. We don't exactly wear it out, but might come in handy some times. Getting slightly off your question, one thing in my opinion has caused grief with our rescue. Ours is a walk in, and it really kills how much stuff you can carry. If a walk in suits you, that is great, but we maxed our new rig out in about a week. The non walk ins that I have seen have much deeper compartments, but the big advantage is that all the once in a lifetime equipment that ends up on the truck, that is not real heavy but takes up room, can go on the roof in bins. We all know newer and better stuff comes out in the future, and it is nice if the truck is not packed full so you can add in the future.

If you can, add an AED to the BLS equipment. What's heart attacks, the 1st or 2nd leading cause of LODDs?

And life-jackets for the shore-line crews asssiting with water rescue is good.

We also carry a boat load of traffic control gear (we do most of it in our area, very little police). Literally like 30 cones, milk crate full of vests, milk crate of flashlights, flares, stop/go signs, scene tape, etc. At the very least a good supply of cones is cheap and you can always use them to help designate "hot zones" or other crowd control.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

You can go to www.bhvfd14.org and check out our 1999 Seagrave/Saulsbury Heavy Rescue. This is one bad truck!!! Anyways one thing to do is to try and figure out the approx. weight of the truck and spec the axle(s) and transmission and brakes correctly. According to what I have heard axles and such are rated for over-the-road trucks, where the are not always carrying a load.

Some of the itmes we carry are:
    2 spreaders
    2 "o" cutters
    1 speedway cutter
    5 rams (various sizes)
    portable AMKUS pump
    step chocks and other cribbing
    railroad jacks 5 & 15 ton
    highlift jacks
    high pressure air bags
    low pressure air bags
    2 rotary circular saws
    2 chainsaws
    cordless saw-z-alls
    regular saw-z-alls
    cascade system
    3 winches
    water rescue equipment
    METRO equipment
    toolbox with all the tools
    portable generator

Plus a whole lot more. There is way too much to list.
    The above is my opinion only, it doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with. Also, I do not intend to bash anyone, I'm just stating what I do, and have seen. If anyone is offended I apologize.

MembersZone Subscriber

GTFDLt61,

Since you said hand tools was where you needed help - I'm going to concentrate on these. If you'd like the full inventory of our truck, then please e-mail me.

We run a 14' Walk-In Medium Duty Rescue - when we built it I had a list of State Recomended hand tools and I'll be darned if I can find it now - anyway . .

What we carry now (in no particular order):

2 small socket sets (1/4" & 3/8" drive) in both SAE & Metric.
    2 Sets of Combination Wrenches (SAE & Metric)
    Assorted Screw Drivers
    Hammers (Framing, 3Lb & 5Lb short handled sledge, 3lb Non Sparking, 2 - 8lb long handled sledge)
    Pliers (Slip joint, Needle Nose, Water Pump, Linemans, and Locking - I.E. vice grips)
    Wire Cutters (I.E. Side Cutters or Diagonal Cutters)
    Battery Cable Cutter (Special set of cutters made for cutting stranded copper wire only - Insulated to 1000 Volts - not that I'd ever want to cut anything that "hot" but hey . .)
    Assorted sizes of ajustable wrenches
    Bolt Cutters (medium sized ones)
    Cross Cut saw
    2 Hack Saws (and spare blades)
    4 Linolium (sp ?) knives
    Tin Snips
    Stick Ruler & 50ft tape measure
    Wrecking Bar
    Pry Bar
    Ball End Allen Wrenches - L shape (SAE & Metric)
    2 Round Point Shovels
    2 Square Point Shovels
    2 Push Brooms
    Small set of cold chisles (sp ?)
    Lumber Crayons (I have no idea why other than they were on the list *L*)
    Leaf Spring Cutters (left over form way back)
    1 Glass Master Winshield Saw
    1 Spring Loaded Center Punch

Things I have noticed we need to carry:
    Pipe wrench - Medium & Large
    1 Size larger Ajustable wrench

I'm trying to go through our tool box drawer by drawer now in my head and see if I missed anything, even so I think I have given a pretty good "starting point".

Now to be honest with you - other than the shovels, hammers, and a few pliers / cutters - I don't know of a single rescue we have ever used any of the other tools on - but we've got them if we ever do need them.

I'd like to suggest that if you're looking to invest in a good cache of hand tools - to give Sears Industrial Sales a call. You get 10% off catalog price on anything (that is for the Dept OR any members personal purchase) and they sell a lot more than just craftsman tools. If you have problems locating them on the web just shoot me an E-mail and I'll get you the number.

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information