Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default FILL SITE TRUCK IDEA'S

We have recently replaced a tanker and kept the old one for setting fill sites. The truck is a 1979 Ford F-800 475 gas, 5 speed 2 speed rear, it has a rusty salsbury wetside tank body, it has a 250 gpm pto pump. We cut the top and the rear of the tank off and lined it with plywood to haul eqiupment like a big pick up. We left the 1500 gallon portable pond on it as well as 2 floating chief pumps and 2 2 1/2" trash pumps.

Looking for any ideas for this piece to make it more useful?
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Forgot to mention in 5 years or so we hope to replace it with a front mount "supply pumper" but for the time being we need to utilize this as much as possible.

Good use of old equipment. How is it working out for you so far?
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Do your portable and floating pumps do the job you need them to do? I often see departments failing to realize that you cannot produce flow rates at the scene in excess of what you can provide at the fill site(s).

A local department here has a LDH hose reel on their "pond pumper" and from what I hear they are not terribly pleased with it. The problem is the excessive weight gets them into trouble when thy try to position it. Something to keep in mind if you are looking into one.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

It's been a pretty useful truck so far, as far as gpm's delivered if we are flowing more than about 300gpm's an engine is assigned to the site as well. The nice thing about the multiple pumps and an expendable truck is water sources that an engine could not access before are now available!!! The truck also carries extra brush , traffic control and spill gear becouse the amount of free space it has, still not even close to overloading it. Eventually it would be nice to have a couple lengths of 5" with a manifold to help.

depending on how your tankers are set up you might want to consider a towing hitch to pull a refill tower with
    The few, the proud, the insane- Volunteer Firefighters

Couple thoughts...

First, a TurboDraft with 200gpm in from the portable pumps will give 800gpm out to fill the tankers. Not a lot, but not too bad either for what your working with -- plus it still is usable even when you get a new pumper but the ground is too soft during mud season That would be the top on my "wish list" (and then find someone who you can beg/borrow/steal some 5" or 4" or 3" from)

Second, you can use a dump tank and full size pumper -- small pumps at draft fill the dump tank and tank on the engine. That'll give you a 2000-2500 gallon reserve or more...tanker pulls in and the Engine can fill at 1000gpm. Even though you may only be delivering 200-300gpm from the portable pumps. You can't do much about travel time other than find closer fill sites...you have to squeeze your gpms out of fill & dump times. Now with a full size pump drafting from the portable pond, you can fill a 2000 gallon tank in 2 minutes...vs taking six and a half minutes filling it direct with 300gpm from portable pumps!

I often see departments failing to realize that you cannot produce flow rates at the scene in excess of what you can provide at the fill site
    One memorable fire, 2/3rd involved 50x300' woodframe commercial. As is common practice in our area, tankers supplied the first heavy hit on the fire while a long, reverse lay line was established.

When our Engine failed to charge it's line or answer the radio, I was tapped by the Deputy to go to the draft site and find out what was up. Our 1500gpm Engine, whose 5" line would supply 1200gpm to the fireground, was being kept out of the draft site...because they had multiple empty 2500 and 3000 gallon tankers to fill first. From a 750gpm pumper. Tunnel vision folks. Tunnel vision. Failing to get anymore cooperation from the folks controlling the fill site than our Engine crew had, I stood in the road blocking any additional tankers coming in so our Engine could finally get into draft.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Dalmatian90 ]
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Dalmation90-

Actually the thought behind the whole truck was to carry all the pumps on one truck and get there before the mutial aide engine that would be committed there. Combined total gpm of all five pumps is around 1250 gpm's. that plus a engine could get us plenty of water without a turbodraft although we would eventually like to get one, does anyone have a apprx cost of one. Also if anyone wants to give away some 5" I will be glad to go get it!!

Hey Dalmation don't over estimate the Turbo Draft. Remember that you need a 175psi going in a 200gpms. There aren't that many portable pumps that have that high of a rating. As for 800gpms that is pushing it. The highest flows I have seen out of a single Turbo Draft was 675gpm and that was with 5' of lift and two 50' sections of hose. The last thing to remember is that a Turbo Draft must use 5" hose on it's discharge side. 4" hose it's even enough. I do like the idea of re-using an old piece that is still in good running order. I like the idea of an older pumper or tanker with 1000gpm front mount pump. You can buy them cheap and scrap some or all of the steel body. Make up a hosebed to hold 1000' of 4" or 5" LDH. This makes a perfect drafting or water supply piece. I may also add a smaller folding tank 1000 to 1500 gallons. With the portable pumps this unit will always access water. If you can't get the unit in to draft then the portable pumps can pump the water to the folding tank and the unit can draft from it. I have seen several similar operations like this that are very sucessfull. Lastly I would recommend anyone doing water supply operations with a portable pump check out CET Pumps. As far as I am concerned they are the leader for water supply portable pumps. I have been after them to take the 25hp dual discharge pump and replace it with a single 3" full flow discharge. CTE doesn't currently offer it because they build their pump bodies and own valves for use on their pumps. To me if your using 4" or 5" LDH on a portable pump then a single 3" full flow discharge valve is the way to go. Just some food for thought. Take care and be safe. FGN

Thread Information